Larue tactical

When I say a hole in the rail, it didn't wear completely through. It was not just a mark in the finish. It wore a hollow spot into the bottom of the rail. Anyone that has seen the guns I train with can attest that cosmetic issues are not something I gripe about.

Up to that point the mount functioned perfectly, it kept zero and never had any other issues. The only thing was that it eventually wore into the rail. You could grasp the aim point and shift it front to back with minimal effort.

Still looking for the pictures.

Mike Edited by Mike

Mike,

When I hear hole, I think of an actual hole, not wear and tear.  I have heard of Larue mounts wearing on rails but they were (IIRC) identified as having been improperly tightened down.  I've read of some people tightening them down so much that they need tools to pop them off the rails.

It definitely shouldn't do that after 20ish times of taking it on and off.  I regularly change out the optics on my SCAR and MRP and I haven't had any issues.  Was this only on one rifle or was it spread across several different types?

To a point yes.

As far as R&R the mount I'd say I took it on and off about 20 times or so during cleanings.  The rifle had about 15-18k rounds though it or so.  It was an LMT upper so there should not have been issues with the quality of the receiver.

I would have been fine with him telling me it was all in due course and it happens sometimes.  All I called for was to find out if they had had any issues in the past and how i should proceed for it not to happen in the future.  But for him to flat out tell me it doesn't happen and that it's not his problem.  That's unacceptable.

Mike

Sounds like normal wear.  While these aluminum parts are (typically) hard anodized, the hard surface layer is incredibly thin (<0.004").  One there's any sort of scratch that you can feel, you've exposed the soft aluminum underneath.  Extensive use combined with dirt and it'll wear away quite fast.  That's the price we pay for weight savings. 

As for how to prevent it...  If its something you have to take on/off regularly, there's not much you can do.  Perhaps add some sort of sacrificial layer between the clamp and the rail... dab of epoxy or maybe just being anal about repainting when it wears through. 

That said, I'd be kinda pissed if they blew me off like that too. 

Like I said, I'm not angry that it happened.  Parts break and wear on rifles that get used, I completely understand that.  It's the way I was treated when I called him to ask if there was anything I could do to prevent it in the future.

Those are my experiences.  Take them for what they're worth to you.

Mike

Wow! I have several Larue mounts and have taken them on and off and not noticed any problem. Maybe I better inspect closer. One awsome Larue setup is a Leopold Prismatic with Larue mount that I have extensive use with no problems. Mount came with three height spacers. Notice the setup is no longer listed. Maybe you were unlucky and got a bad mount but I guess you will never know. Sometimes even good companies fail on the customer service side. I've noticed one forum owner does not like Larue and goes with ARMS but I have never used one. I will stick with Larue, never had a problem and orders have always shipped fast however I have not ordered anything after the mad rush.

Edited by Blitzen

Wow, can't beleive a owner does this on a open forum 

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_219/231628_When_is_LaRue_expecting_their_PMAGs_to_come_in_.html

Wow! I have been drooling over one of their mounts for a long time but that thread makes it a little harder to spend money with them. Just gotta decide which is more important between good product and respectable company I guess. It's a shame we have to make that choice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another reason I despise Arfcom.

Those forums are insane, they are everywhere else too, there was a car forum I frequented quite a bit when I first bought one of my cars and the vendors on there would fight like cats and dogs. It was entertaining and embarrassing at the same time. Digital egos. 

Wow, can't beleive a owner does this on a open forum 
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_219/231628_When_is_LaRue_expecting_their_PMAGs_to_come_in_.html

Yeah, that's basically uncalled for. I've never been a big customer of LT, but that definitely makes me think twice about buying from them again. That confirms that any complaints would very likely be met with insults.
Guest HeloMedic74

I've had nothing but great service from LT.  I've bought 2 OBR's and a Costa rifle, there was a decent lead time on them, but I expected to have a wait considering the quality of the rifle.  Hell I had a 14 month wait for my first POF rifle several years ago.  When I was deployed, I ordered a new mount and optic for my rifle.  When my package arrived, it was loaded with all kinds of free stuff.  They sent me 5 hats, a couple dillos, patches, shirts, dillo dust, candy, coffee, magazines and card signed by a few folks that work there along with Mark himself.  I was amazed at the thoughtful gesture and have been a loyal customer ever since.  

Their mounts just flat out work.  I could care less about them marring the finish of my rifle, it's a tool and I expect it to show wear and tear.  I don't by my rifles to set on a mantle to stare at, they get used and abused.