How do you process your income tax?

Mike.357

Think about it. The cost to prepare and file taxes should be the price of a first class stamp. Yet we all pay big $$ to cover our ourselves and sometimes pay extra "just to make sure". This is insanity. Edited by Rowdy
We started buying rental property a few years ago and I thought taxes would be difficult so I went to H & R, thinking they knew what they were doing. They charged me about three hundred bucks for everything. Later that year I bought a book ontax deductions for landlords and chapter one was on depreciation of basis. H&R completely forgot to do this on my taxes. I called them on it and they made it right. I went with them again the nex year and made sure they did it right, but realized I was telling them how to do their job. Last year I saw that turbo tax has an online edition for landlords so I tried it and it wss very easy. And it was only $80. I plan to use it again this year.

I use a pen, paper, and a calculator since I don't qualify for the free stuff, and I mail the hard copies.  I pay the government and the state of GA enough money, and I will not spend a dime more just to send them even more money.  Screw that.

• Like 1
I use the free turbo tax online. I started doing it this way a few years ago when I discovered that going to H$R Block was a waste of money. We usually get a decent return due to certain deductions, but this year I'm getting a CPA to get advice on how to screw the system and work as many deductions as I can. My taxes are going to be several thousand more this year according to my latest pay stub, and that's with three dependents. I'm tired of it. I'm tired of paying more and more while half the country pays nothing.

I use a pen, paper, and a calculator since I don't qualify for the free stuff, and I mail the hard copies.  I pay the government and the state of GA enough money, and I will not spend a dime more just to send them even more money.  Screw that.

I assure you that you "qualify" for the free federal version of Tax Act:

http://www.taxact.com/taxes-online/free-online-tax.asp?s=OLSTD

There is a charge for the state module, though.

- OS

$1 Store or Dollar Tree usually has H&R Brock.  We have already bought ours for 2012 taxes.  You have to pay extra for quick refunds.  I usually do about 4 families on this software, and file the old way by mail.  For $1, you can't beat this.  I do have complicated taxes too.  I don't use plumbers, repair men, and I definitely do not use CPAs.  My money is more precious too me, so I can splurge on my hobby!

I have some in-laws that use to swear by CPAs, nothing wrong with CPAs, everyone has to eat. About 5 years ago, for kicks and giggles, I did my in-laws taxes after they had been to the ole trusty CPA; the refund was precisely the same. In the long run, I have saved them considerable amount of money. Now doing taxes yourself is not for everyone, however I am not intimidated by the government, and I can read up on taxes myself if the trusty store bought software doesn't suit my needs.  Yes it takes time, but my time is free. Just my 2 cents. I am an extreme eccentric about avoiding services of any kind, likely less than 0.1% of the populous.  If I could write my own Rx, and cut my own hair (at least prestenable), I would avoid doctor and barber visits too!  :rofl:

Edited by Runco

Didn't know about that one.  I will check it out.  Thanks.

And though I vouch for the federal part, as it walks you through every little minute aspect if you like, or lets you dance around if you're an ace, again, I don't vouch for the state module, unless it's been improved. I just download that form from the TN site and do it by hand, since you can't efile with TN anyway.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
[quote name="Erik88" post="901306" timestamp="1359678042"]Turbotax.    I see no reason to pay someone else to do what takes me an hour.[/quote] When I was a young single guy who rented, had no wife or children and only a single job, I would be in the same boat. Once you cross the threshold of getting married, having kids, owning properties, multiple retirement accounts, home improvement projects, professional related expenses not covered by your employer........ it gets a little more complicated.
  • Like 1
[quote name="Runco" post="901310" timestamp="1359678139"]I have some in-laws that use to swear by CPAs, nothing wrong with CPAs, everyone has to eat. About 5 years ago, for kicks and giggles, I did my in-laws taxes after they had been to the ole trusty CPA; the refund was precisely the same. In the long run, I have saved them considerable amount of money. Now doing taxes yourself is not for everyone, however I am not intimidated by the government, and I can read up on taxes myself if the trusty store bought software doesn't suit my needs.  Yes it takes time, but my time is free. Just my 2 cents. I am an [u]extreme[/u] eccentric about avoiding services of any kind, likely less than 0.1% of the populous.  If I could write my own Rx, and cut my own hair (at least prestenable), I would avoid doctor and barber visits too!  :rofl:[/quote] I rather go to a CPA and let him keep however much more I get on my return than have that money go to the government. I'm at my threshold for how much I'm willing to give those crooks and they just crossed it this year. Once October rolls around I'm meeting with a CPA to find out what I have to do to get in a lower tax bracket.

When I was a young single guy who rented, had no wife or children and only a single job, I would be in the same boat. Once you cross the threshold of getting married, having kids, owning properties, multiple retirement accounts, home improvement projects, professional related expenses not covered by your employer........ it gets a little more complicated.

Tax Act will do it. Will walk you through every tax facet possible in life and generate every IRS tax schedule that exists. The only things it won't do is cheat or make math errors. :)

- OS

[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="901599" timestamp="1359696700"]Tax Act will do it. Will walk you through every tax facet possible in life and generate every IRS tax schedule that exists. The only things it won't do is cheat or make math errors. :)   - OS[/quote] I know, I've used turbo tax in the same manner with success, it just takes more than an hour. What the software doesn't tell you is how to use the tax code to your advantage. I have a coworker that gets his advice from a CPA. He saved him an extra few thousand just by telling him to put some money into his IRA before the end of the year, otherwise that money would have just gone to the government. I max out both our IRAs every year, and that helps us lower our taxable income, but I need the help of a professional to keep the greedy Democrats from taking more than what is reasonable.
  • Like 1

So I finally got all my W-2's and whatnot together and am ready to file.

What online software or website do you use to file? Is there a fee or is it free?

I've always used the free option on HR Block. I've been using it for the past few years and had no issues. This year was a little more interesting because I had two W2s for two jobs, unemployment, and where I cashed out my 401k. Took a few minutes to figure out how to go back and add everything. I also always efile it as well and haven't had any issues but they do have the option to print it and send it in.

My needs are simple so the free version covers it.

*Excuse any typos. Sending from my phone. Edited by Spank

something that was pointed out to me by a coworker is that on these online tax software deals you can fill it all out, print out copies etc.  And then copy the info over by hand to paper forms.  You don't have to pay up until it is time to officially transmit the stuff

so there is a way to use all of this and not actually pay for it.

Guest CigarGuy

This just in from IRS.......a cut and paste...........

Issue Number:    IR-2013-15
Inside This Issue

Do Your
Taxes and E-File for Free with Free File

IRS YouTube Videos:

Podcasts:

WASHINGTON — All taxpayers have a fast, safe and free option when it comes to
preparing their own federal taxes. It’s called Free File, and it’s available
only at IRS.gov.

Free File offers brand-name tax software to people who earned $57,000 or less
last year, which is 70 percent of all taxpayers. For those who earned more,
there are free online fillable forms. Both options allow people to file returns
electronically and use direct deposit, which is the fastest way to get
refunds.

The nation’s leading tax software companies have partnered with the IRS to
make their products available for free through IRS.gov. Each company sets its
own eligibility criteria, generally based on income, state residency, age,
military service or eligibility for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). There
is also a software option that is available in Spanish for people who earned
$30,000 or less.

Free File does the hard work for you. The software asks questions; you
provide the answers. It picks the right forms, does the math and helps you find
all the tax benefits for which you are eligible.

All participating Free File partners have been vetted and use the latest in
security technology. Some Free File software providers also offer state tax
returns for free or for a fee.

Free File Fillable Forms is the electronic version of IRS paper forms. It’s
best for people experienced and comfortable preparing their own returns on
paper. It does not support state tax returns.

Some Free File software products also are available in select free tax
preparation sites operated by Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax
Counseling for the Elderly (TCE). Taxpayers can use VITA or TCE computers to
access Free File, prepare their own state and federal returns with a trained and
certified volunteer on stand-by to help and e-file – all for free.

To find a participating site near you, go to IRS.gov and search for “VITA” to
find a self- preparation site location near you.

More than 36 million people have used Free File since it started in 2003. You
can explore all your options at www.irs.gov/freefile.

Businesses, organizations, states or local governments may want to promote
Free File to their employees, customers or clients with products from the IRS.
Just go to www.freefile.irs.gov/partners
to see what you can do to help. There are printable posters, a tax-day countdown
widget for websites and prepared social media posts for your use.