Whittakers Guns....No gouging, great prices, AR's in stock!

Kenstaroni

Hey guys...want to know of a place that is still selling AR's at normal prices?  I've been buying long guns at Whittaker's Guns in Owensboro, KY for years. A 2 hour drive from Nashville that's well worth it.  They generally sell at cost and 10%ish from what I've been able to figure out.  They are getting in AR's weekly.  Check out their facebook page for daily updates. I have been a customer for a long time so I'm sharing the info here for all you TGO'ers who are looking for an affordable place to buy right now.

They have Windam AR's for $850

S&W M&P15t for $999

Bushmaster uppers for $599

Bushmaster rifles for $999

Lowers for $150ish

AR Mags cheap, fair prices on ammo, ect

Handgun prices follow the same great prices and they will ship to your FFL in TN.

They released several LWRC's for $2200ish this week.  People are paying $4500 for these on gunbroker...truely retarted.

Buying from a family owned business that is honest and cares about their customers.  Just to clearify I am in no way affilliated with them or anything.

Happy shooting guys!

Edited by Kenstaroni
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting.   According to all the economics professors that have suddenly populated gun boards the last few weeks, this store should be out of business because they would have sold out all their stock, or because they aren't passing along the cost raised by their distributors. 

Seriously though I do wonder how they're able to keep prices the same.  Have you asked them?

FYI...it can be very difficult to get them on the phone and they don't have voicemail.  Just keep calling and calling until you get through.   Sometimes you could have driven there by the time you get through on the phone but they are great folks and will help you out once you get someone on the line.    Just thought I'd let you know so you didn't get discouraged by the constant busy signal on the phone.

Very interesting.   According to all the economics professors that have suddenly populated gun boards the last few weeks, this store should be out of business because they would have sold out all their stock, or because they aren't passing along the cost raised by their distributors. 

Seriously though I do wonder how they're able to keep prices the same.  Have you asked them?

I can't say that every price is exactly the same...haven't kept track that close but the prices are great compared to everyone else.  They just don't price gouge ever.  They won't haggle on anything...sticker price is what you pay, however I've never been able to argue with their prices.  They are direct with LWRC due to their volume and may be direct with other manufacturers, not sure. 

Edited by Kenstaroni

They have sold out of everything they get in in a day, however they get stuff in almost every day and post on facebook what they will release in the morning.  You do have to be in line in the morning to get a ticket to purchase AR's so some people camp out all night in the parking lot.  If they don't sell them all this way, they then open them up for others or phone orders.  An interesting way to do it but at least its fair I guess.

If you like .22 rifles this a great place to go.  Whittakers is the only place I have ever seen that had multiple copies of Coopers and Volquartsen rifles on the racks.  The other good thing about Whittakers is that you can peruse the long guns all by yourself, no counter between you and the guns.  Do not drop or dry fire them.  Generally a good selection of used long guns and sometimes some really interesting ones.  The last time I was there I could have sworn the had nearly every model of .22 rifle in current production.  I wasn't looking for Henry Golden Boys though.  Yep, stop by the Moonlight, eat 5 types of BBQ, take a nap and then head back home - maybe with a treasure.  I might spin up there this week, haven't been for 2-3 years.  I would love to see what comes in on trade in a month.  Several years ago I was told that they sold 60-100 guns a day.  Don't know if that is true but if so that has probably gone up now.  

I have found myself swearing off gun shops that have been gouging their customers(me). Unfortunately, my favorite shop and every other local shop I've been in are guilty of it. Now I must keep venturing further out or suck it up and pay the prices. I've seen the gouging first hand, repricing old stock to new pricing. I do understand as new stock from distributors go up your prices have to go up, but repricing old stock riles me a bit. 

I have found myself swearing off gun shops that have been gouging their customers(me). Unfortunately, my favorite shop and every other local shop I've been in are guilty of it. Now I must keep venturing further out or suck it up and pay the prices. I've seen the gouging first hand, repricing old stock to new pricing. I do understand as new stock from distributors go up your prices have to go up, but repricing old stock riles me a bit.

I've spoken with 2 TGO vendors in the last month, and both claimed that distributor pricing hasn't increased that much on most items. The fact that many retailers are still selling hot items (ARs, ammo, etc.) at or near pre-shooting prices makes me believe them.

I too believe most prices wholesale prices have not gone up. But, you say "many retailers are still selling hot items at or near pre-shooting prices" I so far, unfortunately have found none close by that this is the case. I will have to start taking a drive I suppose. 

I too believe most prices wholesale prices have not gone up. But, you say "many retailers are still selling hot items at or near pre-shooting prices" I so far, unfortunately have found none close by that this is the case. I will have to start taking a drive I suppose. 

regular retailers... meaning Academy, Wal-Mart... those sort of places...not your avg mom and pop gun shop or pawn shops... I've found that they are partaking in the high prices as well

I too believe most prices wholesale prices have not gone up. But, you say "many retailers are still selling hot items at or near pre-shooting prices" I so far, unfortunately have found none close by that this is the case. I will have to start taking a drive I suppose.

Maybe "many" isn't the right word. They are out there, though. My point is, if there are retailers who are still selling hot items at "normal" prices, they also must be purchasing the hot items from distributors at normal prices, or something pretty close.

Here is a complete list of what Whittaker's had for sale one day last week.

1-S&W M&P15T 5.56 mod811039 $999
1-Armalite AR-15A4C 7.62x39 $999
1-Bushmaster mod 90591 $999
1-Bushmaster mod 91822 $599
2-Ruger 1911 Commander mod6702 $629
10-Windham R16M4A4T 5.56 $889
8-Windham R16M4FTT 5.56 $849
25-Bushmaster XM15 uppers mod91822 $599
Black MAG Tactical Lowers in stock! $169

Those are close to normal. You're probably not seeing to many normal prices because they are out of stock before you get there.