House sponsor of "Parking Lot" bill shoots us all in the foot...

http://wpln.org/?p=45203

From the article:

"I’m not ashamed of it. I’ll tell anybody that,” he says. “I’ll tell the highway patrol. Listen, that’s just part of life.”

Faison, however, would still be breaking the law even if his
legislation passes, at least as written now. While the Cocke County
representative says he’s “carried a gun all my life.” He says he’s never
sent in the paperwork for his handgun permit.

“One day I’ll probably get caught if I don’t get a permit, and I’ll get in trouble,” he says.

With friends like this...

Edited by Worriedman

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268748/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=htQVW0Fh

Attempt to walk back the statement.

From this article: 

Faison told The Associated Press on Monday that what he meant to say was that
he transports a gun inside his car, which does not require a permit as long as
ammunition is stored separately from the firearm.

"What I was saying is routinely I have a gun in my car, and that's not
illegal in Tennessee," he said in a phone interview. "It just came out wrong. I
have a gun in my car - we weren't talking about me carrying a gun."

Edited by Worriedman

This is common, though not legal to keep a loaded gun or carry one on his person without a permit.  A lot of older people never had one, especially in rural areas.

I had 4 different Legislators tell me to simply carry wherever I thought I ought to, (on the day the Safe Commute bill was scuttled last year), they each said that is what they do.

Now that is some way to raise your kids and grand children, by showing them a patent disregard for the law?  I will not do that, brings me down to the criminal's level.

there is only one excuse for carrying a gun and not having a permit.  I somehow doubt Faison is a convicted felon or otherwise prohibited.

The guy is obviously a moron and I don't particularly care to have him be a voice for gun rights.

• Admin Team

I heard this fool on NPR this morning.  Of course the first words out of the host's mouth after airing the story were, "did we just hear someone incriminate themselves live on air?"

Seriously, people... 

Why do we keep sending these fools up there?

Senate Bill 142, safe commute comes up for a vote tomorrow, here are the folks you need to plead to;

sen.mike.bell@capitol.tn.gov,
 sen.doug.overbey@capitol.tn.gov,
 sen.stacey.campfield@capitol.tn.gov,
 sen.todd.gardenhire@capitol.tn.gov,
 sen.ophelia.ford@capitol.tn.gov,
 sen.lowe.finney@capitol.tn.gov,
 sen.mark.green@capitol.tn.gov,
 sen.brian.kelsey@capitol.tn.gov,
 sen.john.stevens@capitol.tn.gov

Note, sen.todd.gardenshire@capitol.tn.gov appears NOT to be the correct address, I removed the "s" and it remained sent.

The Tennessee Senate Judiciary Committee will hear and consider the 2013 Safe Commute Act on Tuesday, February 5 at 3:30 p.m. in the Legislative Plaza Room 12.

If enacted, the 2013 Safe Commute Act would recognize that hard-working Tennesseans’ right to self-defense does not end when they drive onto their employer’s property or into publicly accessible parking lots. Senate Bill 142, sponsored by Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey (R-4), would allow individuals with a valid handgun carry permit to transport and store a firearm or firearm ammunition in the permit holder’s privately-owned motor vehicle in public or private parking areas under certain conditions.

Please call AND e-mail members of the Senate Judiciary Committee TODAY and respectfully urge them to support Senate Bill 142 on February 5 using the contact information provided below.

Its companion bill, House Bill 118, sponsored by state Representative Jeremy Faison (R-11), has not been scheduled for a House committee hearing yet. Please stay tuned to www.nraila.org for updates on the progress of the 2013 Safe Commute Act.

Please contact members of the Senate Judiciary Committee:

Senator Brian Kelsey (Chair)
615-741-3036

sen.brian.kelsey@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Doug Overbey (1st Vice Chair)
615-741-0981
sen.doug.overbey@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Stacey Campfield (2nd Vice Chair)

615-741-1766
sen.stacey.campfield@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Mike Bell
615-741-1946
sen.mike.bell@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Lowe Finney
615-741-1810
sen.lowe.finney@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Ophelia Ford
615-741-1767
sen.ophelia.ford@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Todd Gardenhire
615-741-6682
sen.todd.gardenshire@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Mark Green
615-741-2374

sen.mark.green@capitol.tn.gov

Senator John Stevens
615-741-4578

Edited by kieefer
Guest TnRebel

Tennessee: 2013 Version of the Safe Commute Act to be Heard in Senate Committee on Tuesday 

line.gif

The Tennessee Senate Judiciary Committee will hear and consider the 2013 Safe Commute Act on Tuesday, February 5 at 3:30 p.m. in the Legislative Plaza Room 12.

If enacted, the 2013 Safe Commute Act would recognize that hard-working Tennesseans’ right to self-defense does not end when they drive onto their employer’s property or into publicly accessible parking lots. Senate Bill 142, sponsored by Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey (R-4), would allow individuals with a valid handgun carry permit to transport and store a firearm or firearm ammunition in the permit holder’s privately-owned motor vehicle in public or private parking areas under certain conditions.

Please call AND e-mail members of the Senate Judiciary Committee TODAY and respectfully urge them to support Senate Bill 142 on February 5 using the contact information provided below.

Its companion bill, House Bill 118, sponsored by state Representative Jeremy Faison (R-11), has not been scheduled for a House committee hearing yet. Please stay tuned to www.nraila.org for updates on the progress of the 2013 Safe Commute Act.

Please contact members of the Senate Judiciary Committee:

Senator Brian Kelsey (Chair)
615-741-3036

sen.brian.kelsey@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Doug Overbey (1st Vice Chair)
615-741-0981
sen.doug.overbey@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Stacey Campfield (2nd Vice Chair)

615-741-1766
sen.stacey.campfield@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Mike Bell
615-741-1946
sen.mike.bell@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Lowe Finney
615-741-1810
sen.lowe.finney@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Ophelia Ford
615-741-1767
sen.ophelia.ford@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Todd Gardenhire
615-741-6682
sen.todd.gardenshire@capitol.tn.gov

Senator Mark Green
615-741-2374

sen.mark.green@capitol.tn.gov

Senator John Stevens
615-741-4578

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

I want to know what "certain restrictions" means.  I am not so sure I support this.

I bet it means if the place of employment is posted or not is what that refers to.

News programs all talking up how the bill is 'different" from last year. Best of my ability to figure, it lacks the ability to sue under the companion bill, otherwise it is pretty much the same.

I think the Big Business folks are reading the hand writing on the wall that this is going to pass and become Public Chapter.  They are going to kick and squeal some, and then go about their business, just like that have in the other 19 States that have passed the measure.

Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 1

News programs all talking up how the bill is 'different" from last year. Best of my ability to figure, it lacks the ability to sue under the companion bill, otherwise it is pretty much the same.

I think the Big Business folks are reading the hand writing on the wall that this is going to pass and become Public Chapter.  They are going to kick and squeal some, and then go about their business, just like that have in the other 19 States that have passed the measure.

I think (and hope) you are correct.