Tungsten's CQBR build... MK18 Clone

• Administrator

Going to use this thread to track my progress building an SBR (short barrel rifle) AR15 based loosely off of the MK18 used by the US Navy SEALS. I wanted something a little different so this is the route I decided to take. :rolleyes:

MK18_01.jpg

I've accumulated most of the parts and am submitting my paperwork for the beloved BATFE tax stamp so that I can assemble them into a functioning short barrel rifle. A few parts still remain but should be in place by the time the tax stamp comes back.

Red highlight indicates items I lack.

• LMT 10.5" upper receiver
  • CMT bolt carrier group
  • Spike's Tactical lower receiver - NFA engravings
  • Magpul MIAD - dark flat earth
  • Magpul aluminum enlarged trigger guard
  • Magpul CTR milspec - dark flat earth
  • LMT milspec 6 position buffer tube
  • Carbine weight main action spring
  • Carbine weight buffer
  • YHM ambi hook endplate
  • LaRue 7.0 quad rail forend
  • LaRue quick release EOTech riser
  • LMT tactical rear sight (re: MK18)
  • DPMS lower parts kit
  • DPMS ambidextrous fire control lever
  • KNS anti rotation pins
  • EOTech 512 AA optic
  • Vickers Tactical combat application sling - coyote brown
  • Tango Down stubby vertica fore grip - dark flat earth
  • Magpul XT rail covers - dark flat earth
  • YHM Phantom flash hider for suppressor
  • YHM Phantom Stainless 5.56 suppressor

I decided to skip the SOPMOD stock in favor of the CTR. I had a CTR on my old rifle and really liked it. I did opt to go with the milspec buffer tube and CTR this time, however.

I also decided to skip the Aimpoint optic in favor of the EOTech. Personal preference.

Before someone notes that I opted for a dual point sling and mentioned using an ambi-hook end plate more commonly reserved for a single point sling, I'm giving myself the option of running a single point sling with HK claw attachment later if I want. No sense having to bust the buffer tube's castle nut loose after it's torqued and staked just to install another end plate later.

I hope to pick up the LMT upper during the second half of July and maybe the LaRule rail and EOTech in August. Since my wife and I are expecting our first child in January, this will be my last big hurrah until after the baby expenses are over.

Maybe. :D

Edited by TGO David
Updated parts list
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

I'd rethink that BCG and go with the BCM group (MPI'd) in Auto. Same one I ordered last week after doing some research and looking around. :rolleyes:

And I'd opt for an H-buffer with the 10.5" setup.

And... well... I'll wait and let other people bitch about stuff first.

Edited by Verbal Kint
  • Administrator

The photos in that thread (re: CMT BCG with sheared screws) looks like the screws were at fault and not the other hard parts. Someone may have taken it apart for some reason and then re-used the original screws rather than replace them like you're supposed to.

:rolleyes:

I'll just see about an LMT or BMC group instead if that thread shows up significant evidence that CMT blows goats. Everyone produces a lemon every once in a while. :D

Looks like you will have a very solid rifle when complete.

(with all that high zoot gear, I dont want to hear you bitching about not having any gun money anymore :rolleyes: )

Added:

Are you going with the MRP upper like mine? or one of their standard uppers?

IMG_0171.jpg

Edited by BimmerFreak
  • Administrator
And I'd opt for an H-buffer with the 10.5" setup.

Meh... some folks say shoot it first with a regular carbine buffer and see how it feels. Buffers are cheap. If it needs a heavy buffer, I'll add one later. It's also going to depend a little on how it cycles with the suppressor attached.

• Administrator
Looks like you will have a very solid rifle when complete.

(with all that high zoot gear, I dont want to hear you bitching about not having any gun money anymore :D )

My gun money is getting transitioned into diaper money. :rolleyes:

But a suppressor will be good for the baby's ears. :D

Looks like you've got a good build sheet going there. All you need now is some color. (that gives me an idea for a possible group buy!)

• Administrator
Looks like you've got a good build sheet going there. All you need now is some color. (that gives me an idea for a possible group buy!)

All of the furniture is going to be dark flat earth. What have you got in mind?

All of the furniture is going to be dark flat earth. What have you got in mind?

Something with a little *pop*.

Let me get some pictures taken.

Guest Halfpint
Every day you delay buying or building your own, is a day that Obama touches himself and thinks about you.

Seriously.

:taser: Okay, this alone was enough to convince me I need to do it soon! Very nice setup you have in mind, man. Edited by Halfpint
  • Administrator
A quick snap of my *ahem* M4 taken from high atop the Evil Empire this morning.

327263863_FdPiV-M.jpg

Real world color.

Interesting. My brother (Gerbil Kint) is planning on Duracoating his. I'm probably going to stay plain jane black and tan on this one. At least for a little while. Until I get bored. :taser:

Guest Verbal Kint
Interesting. My brother (Gerbil Kint) is planning on Duracoating his. I'm probably going to stay plain jane black and tan on this one. At least for a little while. Until I get bored. :lol:

Hey... just because I'm paying a small fortune for mine, doesn't mean I'm not going to treat it like a $2 whore. :D

Mine will (originally) be black with FDE rails/furniture/BUIS... but I'm going to rattle-can the damn thing, if for no other reason to give the M4Carbine guys a heart attack with their "No one has the marbles to paint a VLTOR MUR yet...".

I haven't locked down what I'll do with my SBR, when my lower arrives, but I'm leaning towards a CMMG 7.3 Pistol upper with carbine-length 4-rail, either a suppressor or a Noveske brake, and probably an EoTech, or one of the new, larger Trijicon Reflex sights. It'll definetly need a tungsten buffer and possibly a pig-tail gas tube.

• Administrator

I'm just going slow. I had a lot of these parts set aside already so the progress may look more impressive than it really is. The parts I lack now (upper, optic, suppressor, etc.) are the more expensive ones so the remainder of my build will probably take quite a bit longer to finalize. :lol:

Guest db99wj
I'm just going slow. I had a lot of these parts set aside already so the progress may look more impressive than it really is. The parts I lack now (upper, optic, suppressor, etc.) are the more expensive ones so the remainder of my build will probably take quite a bit longer to finalize. :(

Do it before the baby comes. Not sure if you know, but babies need their diapers changed all the damn time, you can't do it just once or twice a day.:lol: It's amazing how much they produce.:D

The "pounds" on a diaper box is not describing how much they will hold......