Tungsten's CQBR build... MK18 Clone

• Administrator
Well, I'll have the added challenge of finding a PC to use since WillMaker doesn't work on the superior Macintosh platform. :rolleyes:

Use Parallels to run it on your Mac. That's what I do. :)

Also... I picked up not one but two lower receivers on Friday. One is being sent off for engraving on Monday. The other will likely stay as a non-NFA lower and be built into something a little different.

More on that later. Right now the only major components that I lack are the upper receiver, the rail forearm and the EOTech optics. Everything else is sitting here waiting for the lovin to start.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
Use Parallels to run it on your Mac. That's what I do. :rolleyes:

Sweet. Didn't know they had a different program out for that. I used to run Virtual PC but Microsoft dumped Mac support for it. Thanks.

• Administrator
Sweet. Didn't know they had a different program out for that. I used to run Virtual PC but Microsoft dumped Mac support for it. Thanks.

I might have a PM for you a little later with some help on getting that stuff together and running. I'm literally headed out the door right now for the day... but I'll send you something this evening.

Guest bkelm18
I might have a PM for you a little later with some help on getting that stuff together and running. I'm literally headed out the door right now for the day... but I'll send you something this evening.

Ah, well, I just looked at the system req's for Parallels and it says it need an Intel based Mac, which I do not have.

• Administrator

Progress to date...

• Lower is being sent to Spike's today for engraving
  • Paperwork is being sent tomorrow to the BATFE
  • All lower receiver parts ordered or present and accounted for
  • LaRue rail ordered and in transit

Items remaining...

• LMT 10.5" Upper receiver
  • BMC auto bolt carrier group
  • PRI charging handle
  • EOTech optics

Anticipate being able to cross the bolt carrier group and charging handle off of the list at the end of this month. The upper receiver will have to wait until the middle of August ... but I'll still be waiting on the BATFE tax stamp to come back anyway so there's no actual rush on any of this.

The optics will be ordered subsequent to the rifle being completed. Again, no real rush on that either.

Guest tngunman
Meh... some folks say shoot it first with a regular carbine buffer and see how it feels. Buffers are cheap. If it needs a heavy buffer, I'll add one later. It's also going to depend a little on how it cycles with the suppressor attached.

I have the 10" Colt barrel and I use a regular buffer. Mine runs auto just fine :squint:

• Administrator

I've changed my mind on the optics after having done a little more research. I am returning my LaRue #LT110 mount for the EOTech and am exchanging it for a LaRue #LT129 cantilever mount for the Aimpoint Comp M3. The Comp M3 will be my primary sighting system with the iron sights being the backup.

Consider this change as just being an evolution of thought.

Also, my lower receiver arrived at Spike's Tactical this morning so the clock has officially started. We'll see just how long it takes for it to arrive back in my hands.

Finally, the paperwork for the BATFE tax stamp is done. I'm going to review it one last time tonight and then forward it on to the BATFE along with my $200 contribution to their pizza-money fund. 10-12 weeks seems to be the normal wait time on receiving the tax stamp right now.

So there really isn't any reason for me to rush on the remainder of the components for the rifle project. :cool:

Guest Verbal Kint

Pretty much in the same boat... waiting the return of my lowers from Spike's (probably this coming week), and I only lack the LaRue 9" rail and Troy BUIS. Have my paperwork complete, but just haven't mailed it out yet. Kinda slowed down on everything, and ordering the last two components, due to other real life events... but will have everything done and in a true waiting pattern here shortly.

• Administrator

My check for $200 to the BATFE goes out by FedEx Express Saver today. This is their cheapest service and just gives me the peace of mind that comes with being able to confirm delivery. I have no fantasies that this will somehow expedite the process and in reality it's not much faster than US Mail. We ship so much by FedEx at my office that it's actually a bit easier and almost as cheap... so why not.

Still waiting for word from Spike's Tactical regarding my engravings. I know that they received it last week so hopefully it won't be much longer.

Also thinking about changing up my plans for the upper receiver a little since I've now got some time to kill. The LMT upper is a superb setup and not one I'll feel slighted about if that's what I go with... but I'm also considering a custom setup using a Noveske 10.5" barrel. Noveske's stuff uses polygonal rifling and they say accuracy out of them is amazing for even such a short bore length.

Decisions, decisions.

• Administrator

More parts have arrived...

• LaRue 7.0 rail
  • KNS anti-rotating pins
  • Armorer's wrench
  • Heavy duty QD swivels
  • Free "Bravo Company USA" hat. Pimp.

Still no decision on my bbl and upper receiver but leaning back toward the complete LMT upper. If it's good enough for people who depend on these rifles in combat, then it should be good enough for my mall-ninja ass. Would save me a couple hundred that I could put toward ammo too.

:P

• Administrator
Not that I'm any kind of expert, but I've made a final decision to go with the LMT upper for my current build. I've heard nothing but good things about their quality and service.

Your research mirrors my own. When you get yours, post pics! :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

UPS managed to divert my engraved lower receiver somehow and it was rescheduled to be delivered tomorrow instead of today. Regardless, I should be able to assemble the lower by the end of the week.

I suspect I'm still a good 30 days away from hearing anything about the tax stamp but that's OK. Gives me time to stock up on ammo. :)

I for one hope everything comes together before CIS defensive carbine class comes up. I'd love to read a review from you of both the class and how your new SBR does.

I'm still wanting an SBR pretty bad, but my funds for it has been diverted for now. :)

• Administrator

My lower receiver arrived back from Spike's Tactical in Apopka, FL where they engraved it per my instructions to comply with BATFE Form 1 to manufacture a short barrel rifle. The engravings look really nice and were filled in with white paint much the same as the fire control group icons.

I'll post more about the engravings later, but for now... pictures of the lower after I got done assembling it this evening.

lower_receiver_001.jpg

lower_receiver_002.jpg

lower_receiver_003.jpg

lower_receiver_004.jpg

• Administrator

This was the first time I have ever built an AR15 lower receiver from parts. I honestly had not made it out to be that difficult in my mind and it was actually even easier than I suspected it would be. If you have any mechanical inclination at all, you can do this in an evening with simple hand tools, an AR15 armorer's wrench and a lower receiver block to lock it into a vise.

The parts I used were:

• Spike's Tactical lower receiver
  • Magpul MIAD standard grip
  • Magpul aluminum enlarged trigger guard
  • Magpul milspec CTR stock
  • Milspec buffer tube with castle nut
  • Yankee Hill ambidextrous sling mount / end plate
  • Carbine length buffer spring
  • Carbine weight buffer
  • CMT lower parts kit
  • DPMS ambidextrous fire control lever

Not used but to be installed later is a KNS anti-rotation trigger and hammer pin set. I want to test the rifle for function before I install those.

Tools used were:

• Armorer's wrench
  • Various brass and steel punches
  • Hammer
  • Pocket knife
  • Various hex key wrenches
  • Small piece of 2x4
  • Standard screw driver
  • Vice grips with jaws wrapped in electrical tape (to press pins in)
  • Lower receiver block (fits in place of magazine)
  • Bench vise (used with lower receiver block)

Total time spent on it was about 1.5hrs with a few breaks to get additional tools from the garage, rest my eyes occasionally, and grab bottles of water from the fridge. I could do it again in about 45 minutes.

It feels nice to have actually assembled the lower myself. Now I know exactly how the parts interact with one another and can fix anything that breaks by myself. :rolleyes:

As soon as that pesky Form 1 approval comes back from the BATFE, I'll order my upper receiver and barrel combo, and put that together and mate the two halves into one sexy-assed SBR.

Can't wait!