TN Bill to remove restrictions on knife possession and carry

I love my Microtech.  It's the Ultratech model I think.  Yes, I spent way too much money on it, but I gotta a bunch of things I could say that about.

I wouldn't trust it (or any OTF) to truly heavy use, but I've carried mine quite a bit and done basic utility stuff with it and it's pretty awesome.

With the new law, I'm probably going to get of the the UTX-70 little guys... mainly just because it's so adorable.  :cool:

I'm leaning toward a Piranha Bodyguard or Prowler for my official "HB 1883" celebration purchase though. 

• Like 1

I'm with JAB on this.

I am always pleased when any restriction and abuse of personal choice and freedom is removed.

After all, the Second Amendment says, to paraphrase, "The Right of the People to Keep and Bear arms Shall Not Be Infringed."

I carry a couple of "waved" folders daily...but my preference is a fixed blade knife. I've carried a Clinch Pik for several years, and I'm certain I'll continue to do so.

But I'd also like to be able to carry a more general use fixed blade, along the lines of one of my Mora's, without having to be concerned about it.

JAB mentioned training, and I personally think that since many of the tools we carry may well be pressed into a self defense role, Professional Training is a great idea.

...Knife or Gun...It certainly dispels many myths.

I love my Microtech.  It's the Ultratech model I think.  Yes, I spent way too much money on it, but I gotta a bunch of things I could say that about.
I wouldn't trust it (or any OTF) to truly heavy use, but I've carried mine quite a bit and done basic utility stuff with it and it's pretty awesome.

With the new law, I'm probably going to get of the the UTX-70 little guys... mainly just because it's so adorable.  :cool:

I'm leaning toward a Piranha Bodyguard or Prowler for my official "HB 1883" celebration purchase though.

I have owned 2 Piranha knives, one was the body guard and while I did like the model it had a lot of blade play, in fact both models did now that I think about it, while this is not a big deal I just want you be be aware about that if you have no experience with them. I would take any model Pro Tech over the bodyguard

I will give the Excaliber a try one of these days, they are priced the same as a Micro Tech Scarab so I would guess they have tighter tolerances than their other models
Guest gunlobbyist

I don't think he's gonna sign. I read an article where he didn't like the law. He don't like the firearms laws about carry in parks. If he drops the ball on these laws, I'll be voting against him next chance I get.

Can you please post the article you read in which he mentions the knife law?

The Governor may sign the bill; veto it; or allow it to become law without his signature. The Governor is allowed ten days (Sundays excepted) after a bill is presented to him to approve or veto the bill; if he takes no action within that period, the bill becomes a law without his signature...

My guess is he will let it pass without his signature so he can claim he was both for it and against it.

• Like 5

Can you please post the article you read in which he mentions the knife law?

I found the article on guns in parks, but can't find the one on knives. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I do remember a statement just a couple of days ago that he was concerned about citizens carrying large "switchblade" type knives and their conceal-ability. Feel free to disregard the statement I made. If I find it I'll post it here.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/mar/07/tn-gov-haslam-concerned-about-gop-efforts-against-/
Guest gunlobbyist

I found the article on guns in parks, but can't find the one on knives. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I do remember a statement just a couple of days ago that he was concerned about citizens carrying large "switchblade" type knives and their conceal-ability. Feel free to disregard the statement I made. If I find it I'll post it here.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/mar/07/tn-gov-haslam-concerned-about-gop-efforts-against-/

Well I hope you heard wrong on the knife bill. We will know soon enough. 

BTW Gov Haslam signed our preemption bill last year and this bill had zero opposition. 

Remember this was a guy who was member of Bloomberg's MAIG when mayor of Knoxville, then resigned from that and took out lifetime NRA membership in time to run for Governor.

Takes a while to decide which side of the bread has the most butter.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 6

Looks like you got while the gettin' is good. Microtech has stopped making the Scarab, so you gotta buy existing stock. By the time I get around to it, I'll probaby just get the Ultratech. It's lots cheaper anyway, and still has an Elmax blade.

Edited by mikegideon

My guess is he will let it pass without his signature so he can claim he was both for it and against it.

this is exactly what I believe our wonderful governor is going to do. He is campaigning already.

In the article linked in a previous post, Goobernor Haslam talks about 'property rights' and claims that the local officials should have the ability to regulate firearms on property that their local constituents paid for.  Ummm...no.  We aren't talking about private property here.  We are talking about public property and local officials should not have the right to make the same type of decisions they can make on private property.  The Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution says that the government does not have the right to infringe.  Just in case that isn't clear enough, the Tennessee State Constitution goes further in protecting the right not only to own but to bear arms.  Even the specious activities of regulating the carry of arms by state level officials under the 'view to prevent crime' clause doesn't seem to me - a lay person - to grant local officials any right, whatsoever, to do so.

So, no, Goobernor Haslam, local officials should not have the right to limit firearms carry on PUBLIC property.  Instead, they should be required to follow the Constitutions of both the country and the state by not interfering with the right to keep and bear arms that is outlined in both.

God, it makes me sick that I let myself be talked in to voting for that guy by the 'lesser evil' crowd..  I'll write in my dog before I'll vote for him, again.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

In the article linked in a previous post, Goobernor Haslam talks about 'property rights' and claims that the local officials should have the ability to regulate firearms on property that their local constituents paid for.  Ummm...no.  We aren't talking about private property here.  We are talking about public property and local officials should not have the right to make the same type of decisions they can make on private property.  The Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution says that the government does not have the right to infringe.  Just in case that isn't clear enough, the Tennessee State Constitution goes further in protecting the right not only to own but to bear arms.  Even the specious activities of regulating the carry of arms by state level officials under the 'view to prevent crime' clause doesn't seem to me - a lay person - to grant local officials any right, whatsoever, to do so.

So, no, Goobernor Haslam, local officials should not have the right to limit firearms carry on PUBLIC property.  Instead, they should be required to follow the Constitutions of both the country and the state by not interfering with the right to keep and bear arms that is outlined in both.

God, it makes me sick that I let myself be talked in to voting for that guy by the 'lesser evil' crowd..  I'll write in my dog before I'll vote for him, again.

You would prefer the other idiot that he was running against?

Edited by SWJewellTN

Looks like you got while the gettin' is good. Microtech has stopped making the Scarab, so you gotta buy existing stock. By the time I get around to it, I'll probaby just get the Ultratech. It's lots cheaper anyway, and still has an Elmax blade.

Not sure if they are stopping the making of the regular scarab but I do know there will be a re issue of the Navy Seal Scarab the first run was done in 09. The new ones are due this summer or sooner. The downside will be the price as they will be like $600. I sold my 2009 one for a good profit I miss it now and will probably get one of the re issues Edited by willis68

Not sure if they are stopping the making of the regular scarab but I do know there will be a re issue of the Navy Seal Scarab the first run was done in 09. The new ones are due this summer or sooner. The downside will be the price as they will be like $600. I sold my 2009 one for a good profit I miss it now and will probably get one of the re issues

I can't find where I read that. Maybe it was just one in the Scarab line. 

I can't find where I read that. Maybe it was just one in the Scarab line. 

Microtech is one crazy unpredictable company.  There's no telling what they will keep making or discontinue.  I think they run their production schedule at random.  :rofl:

You would prefer the other idiot that he was running against?

Yes.  At least then people who truly believe in a more right-leaning position could hopefully be motivated to replace him in the next election.  As it is, we have a left-wing RINO and, because he plays under the Republican name (which is more important to those who think that political elections equal the Superbowl as in actual policies and beliefs don't matter as long as your 'team' wins) there will be no, real impetus to move away from him or his brand of bait and switch, "Talk out of the right side of my mouth but work with my left hand," bull crap.

Besides, I will say, again - we saw more advances in laws regarding self defense and carry rights under a New Jersey Democrat governor (Bredesen) with unapologetically anti-gun Naifeh as Speaker of the House than we have seen under the "good Republican" triumvirate of Haslam, Harwell and Ramsey.  The Republicans rallied support in the last, few elections with the cry of, "Oh, my God!  The other side wants your guns and your only hope is to vote for us!  We will support and expand your rights!"  Well, no two ways about it, they lied.  The three of them even keep saying that they don't even want to deal with any such legislation.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 3

Yes.  At least then people who truly believe in a more right-leaning position could hopefully be motivated to replace him.  As it is, we have a left-wing RINO and, because he plays under the Republican name (which is more important to those who think that political elections equal the Superbowl as in names don't matter as long as your 'team' wins) there will be no, real impetus to move away from him or his brand of bait and switch, "Talk out of the right side of my mouth but work with my left hand," bull crap.

You do realize that the tactic that you propose didn't work before. Bredesen (SP?) was re-elected how many times? Isn't doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different outcome a laymen's definition of crazy? Dr. Carson, (who has become one of the outspoken representatives for the Tea Party), recently said some stupid crap about gun rights too, you know?

Microtech is one crazy unpredictable company.  There's no telling what they will keep making or discontinue.  I think they run their production schedule at random.  :rofl:

You got that right, as much as I hate Tony and his way they still make some of the best auto knives in the world