TN Bill to remove restrictions on knife possession and carry

Really a great question and thought JAB. Especially since as you noted, "common sense" is an increasingly uncommon element in today's society.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not advocating restrictions in any way...but I can envision a few meat-heads pushing the envelope.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I know there has to be some 'common sense' self policing but does anyone know if, under the bill (and, hopefully, new law), there is a specific blade length or other criteria where a particular blade will no longer qualify as a 'knife'?  I'm not talking about carrying a two handed broadsword slung on my back while walking around Walmart.  Instead, I am thinking of more practical issues.

For instance, a machete is - technically - a large knife.  Further, I can see why some folks might want to have a machete in their vehicle as part of a get home or bug out kit (myself included.)  Being that there are various lengths and styles of machete blade, I wonder if there is some definite point at which a 'knife' becomes a 'sword' in the eyes of the law.  As with beds and bowls of porridge, I personally think that medium machetes would be preferable for such use as the short ones don't give enough 'reach' and the longest ones don't balance/control as well, for me.  Still, I wonder if even the medium length machetes might be considered 'beyond the pale' by LEO.  Heck, I could see that even some larger Bowie knives might be considered to be 'short swords'.

This sort of thing was actually brought up during debate on the bill. IIRC, as stated during the debate and as has been opined here on the board the passage of this law would also legalize the carrying of a sword if one was so inclined. There is no separate statute that prohibits the carrying of a sword and no legal distinction in the TCA that says >x" = sword, < x" = knife. The current statute covered all of that with the prohibition of carrying anything >4" so with the removal of that prohibition it is all fair game. Like I mentioned before, I am pretty sure I know some Japanophile nerds that are going to strap on their katanas and go for a walk after July 1. Whether they should or not is a spearate question that I am not addressing, only that once this becomes law, they can.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 4

Chucktshoes nailed it. This removes any restrictions for bladed instruments.

And I still want a katana, and a broadsword (Ned Stark's maybe?) regardless of what Chucklehead says.

When you want one the best in the world Katana for non Japanese folks are built by Howard Clark, he builds them the right way but we are talking about $4k

One day I will have one of his Katanas Edited by willis68
  • Like 2

I know there has to be some 'common sense' self policing but does anyone know if, under the bill (and, hopefully, new law), there is a specific blade length or other criteria where a particular blade will no longer qualify as a 'knife'? 

As others have mentioned, nope. Because carry of any "knife" will not be unlawful except in schools, where all knives are de facto verboten, except for quite narrow exceptions.

A "sword" is simply a large "knife" under the definition in 39-17-1301:

" "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument"

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

As others have mentioned, nope. Because carry of any "knife" will not be unlawful except in schools, where all knives are de facto verboten, except for quite narrow exceptions.

A "sword" is simply a large "knife" under the definition in 39-17-1301:

" "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument"

- OS

Interesting.  I guess my sword canes would be legal to carry if I so desired (not saying I would, just that I could.)  As prag said, I am glad to see there are no restrictions but I won't be surprised to hear a report of some dude dressed like Conan the Barbarian roaming around Radnor Lake State Park with a broadsword on his back and a short sword at his waist.

Heck, I guess that, technically, even one of these would be legal for carry:

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/95BOASK/BOAR_SPEAR.aspx

Talk about one heck of a walking stick!

I'll be honest, these guys make a few items that I REALLY want.

http://www.millerbrosblades.com/Items_For_Sale.html

Some nice looking work.  Too rich for my blood but nice.  I particularly like the "MBB M-19 S".  Can't remember right off hand what that type of blade is called (is isn't really a kukri - there is a name for it but I can't remember at the moment) but I like it.

Edited by JAB

When will this be finalized?

Again, it depends on how they count.  He either has until today or tomorrow to sign or veto.  If he does neither, it passes without signature and will go into effect July 1st.  

• Like 1

Today is the day statutorily. But as capbyrd points out EFFECTIVE DATE JULY 1, 2014 unless of course it is vetoed.

Am I counting wrong?  Does the 27th count as it was sent to him that day or did his 'countdown' start on the 28th?  Also, I was under the impression that neither Saturdays nor Sundays counted?  Using what I thought was the criteria, Haslam would have until Thursday April 10 to sign or veto.  I hope I am wrong, though.

EDIT: The legislature website isn't much help in clearing this up.  I went to their 'faqs' section and it only says something like ten days after it reaches the governor's desk.  It doesn't say when the count down starts (on the day the bill is sent or the next, full day), it doesn't say if weekends count or anything else.

Edited by JAB
Guest gunlobbyist

Am I counting wrong?  Does the 27th count as it was sent to him that day or did his 'countdown' start on the 28th?  Also, I was under the impression that neither Saturdays nor Sundays counted?  Using what I thought was the criteria, Haslam would have until Thursday April 10 to sign or veto.  I hope I am wrong, though.

The legislature website isn't much help in clearing this up.  I went to their 'faqs' section and it only says something like ten days after it reaches the governor's desk.  It doesn't say when the count down starts (on the day the bill is sent or the next, full day), it doesn't say if weekends count or anything else.

Only Sundays do not count

EDIT: The legislature website isn't much help in clearing this up.  I went to their 'faqs' section and it only says something like ten days after it reaches the governor's desk.  It doesn't say when the count down starts (on the day the bill is sent or the next, full day), it doesn't say if weekends count or anything else.

Sundays are the only excluded days.  

From the legislature's website. 

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/about/billtolaw.html

SIGNED BY GOVERNOR The Governor may sign the bill; veto it; or allow it to become law without his signature. The Governor is allowed ten days (Sundays excepted) after a bill is presented to him to approve or veto the bill; if he takes no action within that period, the bill becomes a law without his signature. The Governor also has constitutional authority to reduce or disapprove any sum of money appropriated in any bill while approving other portions of such bill. If the Legislature is still in session, the Governor returns all bills and joint resolutions to the house of origin after he has taken action. After adjournment of the General Assembly, bills are returned by the Governor to the Office of the Secretary of State. If the Governor has vetoed a bill or reduced or disapproved an appropriation within a bill, the veto can be overridden, or reduced or disapproved sums of money restored, by a majority vote of the membership to which each body is entitled under the Constitution.

Edited by Capbyrd
  • Like 1
Guest gunlobbyist

Y'all need to thank Senator Mike Bell and Rep Vance Dennis they busted their asses for us on this!

sen.mike.bell@capitol.tn.gov

rep.vance.dennis@capitol.tn.gov