TN Bill to remove restrictions on knife possession and carry

• Moderators

Just emailed Sen. Mike Bell. I'm proud to say that he is my Senator for the state of Tennessee. I've emailed him before about potentially helping us repeal some firearms laws in the future. Now, I realize that it is a long shot in some cases for some laws, but we have to start somewhere and Bell may be interested in doing so. So email him your support!

• Like 1

Y'all need to thank Senator Mike Bell and Rep Vance Dennis they busted their asses for us on this!

sen.mike.bell@capitol.tn.gov

rep.vance.dennis@capitol.tn.gov

I will do this next. But First and Foremost Thank you Sir.

And Thanks to Capbyrd and everyone else for keeping this effort going, and for the updates.

You Guys Rock!   :up: 

• Like 2
Guest DCritter

Official Post... :woohoo:

Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam has signed SB1771, Knife Rights' bill repealing the state's antiquated ban on switchblade (automatic) knives and possession of knives over four inches in length "with intent to go armed," a vague law subject to abusive interpretation. As of July 1, 2014, there are no longer any per se illegal knives in Tennessee.

WARNING: This new law does not go into effect until July 1, 2014. Violations of existing law banning switchblades (automatic) knives and carry of knives over four inches in length "with intent to go armed" can still be prosecuted until that date.

Last year Knife Rights passed Knife Law Preemption in Tennessee ensuring that no local jurisdiction can have regulations more restrictive than state law. This means that existing restrictions that banned automatic knives or limited blade length in some cities are now rendered null and void and they cannot pass any new laws banning certain knives.

Thanks to all who called or emailed in support of this effort. Your calls and emails were critical to passage of this bill. Knife Rights would also like to thank our sponsors, Senator Mike Bell and Representative Vance Dennis, for their hard work over two years reforming knife law in Tennessee.

Knife Rights would like to recognize Smoky Mountain Knife Works and Taylor Brands whose generous support helped Knife Rights create a Sharper Futureâ„¢ for their fellow Tennesseans.

Tennessee is the 7th state in which Knife Rights has repealed a ban on switchblades and other knives. This makes 17 legislative victories by Knife Rights in just over four years, including defeating four anti-knife bills. Knife Rights has passed 13 pro-knife bills in 11 states. Knife Rights is rewriting knife law in Americaâ„¢!

Please support Knife Rights with a Donation in the 2014 Ultimate Steel Knives, Guns & More Spectacularâ„¢. You could WIN YOUR CHOICE from OVER $150,000 in prizes! www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel

Guest DCritter

I will do this next. But First and Foremost Thank you Sir.

And Thanks to Capbyrd and everyone else for keeping this effort going, and for the updates.

You Guys Rock!   :up:

Thanks to all of you who helped make this possible.  Your calls and emails made a difference!!!!!!

Please support Knife Rights with a Donation in the 2014 Ultimate Steel Knives, Guns & More Spectacularâ„¢. You could WIN YOUR CHOICE from OVER $150,000 in prizes! www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel

Guest gunlobbyist

I'm guessing since it's Nashville they sang it to a country melody?

Hahaha no they SINGED it to a country melody!! I'm so exited I caint spell!!!!

SIGNED!

Amazing what can be done when everyone works together and absolutely does not give up the fight!

Thanks to all who fought for us and thanks to my fellow pro-knife-rights friends who wrote letters and made phone calls in support of this (as I did as well).

Thanks again, all! :up:

• Like 1
Guest Lowbuster

I know there has to be some 'common sense' self policing but does anyone know if, under the bill (and, hopefully, new law), there is a specific blade length or other criteria where a particular blade will no longer qualify as a 'knife'? I'm not talking about carrying a two handed broadsword slung on my back while walking around Walmart. Instead, I am thinking of more practical issues.

For instance, a machete is - technically - a large knife. Further, I can see why some folks might want to have a machete in their vehicle as part of a get home or bug out kit (myself included.) Being that there are various lengths and styles of machete blade, I wonder if there is some definite point at which a 'knife' becomes a 'sword' in the eyes of the law. As with beds and bowls of porridge, I personally think that medium machetes would be preferable for such use as the short ones don't give enough 'reach' and the longest ones don't balance/control as well, for me. Still, I wonder if even the medium length machetes might be considered 'beyond the pale' by LEO. Heck, I could see that even some larger Bowie knives might be considered to be 'short swords'.

I wonder too about machete. I carry one a lot in the truck for the farm clearing low branches and sticker bushes, not to mention creepy crawlers if needed.

I wonder too about machete. I carry one a lot in the truck for the farm clearing low branches and sticker bushes, not to mention creepy crawlers if needed.

What law would prohibit it?

As far as carrying broadswords and the like in public, can't imagine anything except perhaps some public disturbance law on state or local level that one could possibly be charged with? 

- OS

Guest Lowbuster

What law would prohibit it?

As far as carrying broadswords and the like in public, can't imagine anything except perhaps some public disturbance law on state or local level that one could possibly be charged with?

- OS

I just thought any LEO might say it's over 4 inches and charge me or something. A friend was playing baseball some years back and when he got to the field he had forgot his bat. His son drove home and while bringing them to field he was pulled over and harassed about having weapons in the car. His son didn't have the other ball gear just the bat. The LEOlet it go, but it could have been worse.

I just thought any LEO might say it's over 4 inches and charge me or something....

Now yes, it's illegal if determined to be going armed, didn't get your drift.  After July 1, it might be a nice payday to be arrested for it.

- OS