TN Bill to remove restrictions on knife possession and carry

You may not care for inexpensive knives, but the Boker Kalashnikov seems to be a well-built auto knife, and at ~$40, you can't beat the value.

I lose knives too often for a $300 knife to appeal to me.

• Like 1

You may not care for inexpensive knives, but the Boker Kalashnikov seems to be a well-built auto knife, and at ~$40, you can't beat the value.

I lose knives too often for a $300 knife to appeal to me.

I have to agree with you about Boker, I have owned several of them over the years and for the money they are not bad at all

Having said that I lack the problem that you have of losing my knives so I carry more expensive ones
Guest ASmartOne

First Q: Should I go ahead a buy an auto or wait?  

Just read through the whole thread.  If I understand, this bill would make ANY knife/sword legal for carry?  It does look like gravity knives will still be no go though.  What about balisongs? 

SO STOKED!!! CAN'T EVEN DESCRIBE MY HAPPY FEELING ABOUT THIS!

Guest ASmartOne

Been looking around the web, and it looks like a new auto is going to run over $100.  And if I really want selection, over $200.  I am going to wait a little bit before taking the plunge.  Maybe I will just stick to the assisted knives.  On the other side of the coin.  I think I will buy a folding pocket bowie or some other long blade knife. I have my eye on a Benchmade right now.

Been looking around the web, and it looks like a new auto is going to run over $100.  And if I really want selection, over $200.  I am going to wait a little bit before taking the plunge.  Maybe I will just stick to the assisted knives.  On the other side of the coin.  I think I will buy a folding pocket bowie or some other long blade knife. I have my eye on a Benchmade right now.

There are knives for less than 100.  

http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Side-Opening-Automatics--40?sort_by=price_each

First Q: Should I go ahead a buy an auto or wait?  

Just read through the whole thread.  If I understand, this bill would make ANY knife/sword legal for carry?  It does look like gravity knives will still be no go though.  What about balisongs? 

SO STOKED!!! CAN'T EVEN DESCRIBE MY HAPPY FEELING ABOUT THIS!

I would wait if I were you.  The law hasn't been passed yet and even if it had, it won't take effect until July 1st (I think).  

As for gravity and inertia knives.  See my post below where I'm going to outline all of the parts of the bill.  

Doooo it! Dooo it naoow!

Not yet.  Law hasn't been passed.  

• Like 1

Alright.  So I'm going to post up the full bill here.   And try to make it as clear as possible.   

SENATE BILL 1015 By Bell

AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13, relative to knives. 

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE: 

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1301, is amended by deleting 
subdivision (17).

SECTION 2. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1302, is amended by deleting 
subdivision (a)(7) and substituting instead the following: (7) Knuckles; or 

SECTION 3. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1303, is amended by deleting subdivision (a)(1) and substituting instead the following: 
(1) Recklessly sells, loans or makes a gift of a firearm to a minor;

SECTION 4. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1307, is amended by deleting 
subdivision (a)(1) and substituting instead the following:
(1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a 

firearm or a club; 

SECTION 5. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1309, is amended by deleting from subdivision ( B )(1) the language “switchblade knife”. 

SECTION 6. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1364, is amended by deleting from subdivision (2) the language “; provided that it is not a switchblade knife”. 

SECTION 7. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1314, is amended by adding the following new subsection: 
(e) It is the intent of the general assembly that this part is preemptive with respect to the transfer, ownership, possession or transportation of knives and no city, county, or metropolitan government shall occupy any part of the field of regulation of the transfer, ownership, possession or transportation of knives.

SECTION 8. This act shall take effect July 1, 2013, the public welfare requiring it and 
shall apply to all applicable provisions of law in conflict with this act.

So lets go over each section one by one.  

Section 1 will delete the following wording completely from the "definitions" section of weapons.  It does not replace the wording at all.  

(17)

"Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a blade which opens automatically by:

(A) Hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle; or

(B ) Operation of gravity or inertia; and[/quote]

Section 2 alters the list of prohibited weapons from "(7) A switchblade knife or knuckles; or"  to just say "(7) knuckles; or"

Section 3 will change the rule of gifting or selling to minors from "(1) Intentionally, knowingly or recklessly sells, loans or makes a gift of a firearm or switchblade knife to a minor;"  to "(1) Recklessly sells, loans or makes a gift of a firearm to a minor;"

Section 4 changes the intent to go armed law.  It currently reads " (a)  (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4''), or a club."  Under the new bill, it would read " (a)  (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, or a club."

Section 5 deletes the words "switchblade knife" from the following wording.  Here is where I would like to see a little more changed.    

( B )  (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.

Section 6 changes the rules for purchase.  Currently it reads as follows.  

39-17-1364.  Purchase and shipment of antique firearms and certain edged weapons.

Notwithstanding § 39-17-1307, or any other law, it is lawful in this state for a person to purchase, and have shipped directly to such person's residence, the following:

(2) A knife, even if the blade is in excess of four inches (4''); provided, that it is not a switchblade knife; or

Section 6 removes the switchblade knife part.  

Section 7 is the preemption clause.  It will remove restrictions for those of you who have city or county ordinances that aren't in line with the rest of the state.  

Section 8 states that if passed, the law shall take effect on July 1 2013.  

Hopefully that makes it pretty plain.  

Edited by Capbyrd
It's against the law to ship a knife into TN if it's over 4 inches? I guess I'm confused by all the dumb laws we have. To be honest, I've been carrying auto knives since I was first issued on in the Army years ago. These laws are stupid and silly anyway, and I'd rather take my chances than follow some stupid senseless law.

It's against the law to ship a knife into TN if it's over 4 inches? I guess I'm confused by all the dumb laws we have. To be honest, I've been carrying auto knives since I was first issued on in the Army years ago. These laws are stupid and silly anyway, and I'd rather take my chances than follow some stupid senseless law.

Read it again.  That part is the exceptions part and it says it is LAWFUL to purchase and have shipped a knife over 5 inches.  

Read it again.  That part is the exceptions part and it says it is LAWFUL to purchase and have shipped a knife over 5 inches.  

Right, I see that. I was asking has it been illegal up until now? If so, I break the law all the time when shipping my big pigstickers back and forth.

No.  If you read, that is the current law that I quoted.  

39-17-1364.  Purchase and shipment of antique firearms and certain edged weapons.

Notwithstanding § 39-17-1307, or any other law, it is lawful in this state for a person to purchase, and have shipped directly to such person's residence, the following:

(2) A knife, even if the blade is in excess of four inches (4''); provided, that it is not a switchblade knife; or

The bill we are discussing merely deletes the switchblade knife part.  

Guest ASmartOne

They should have deleted that entire section about "dirks, daggers" etc.  That stuff makes less sense than the switchblade law.

That only applies to school grounds, I thought. 

One thing I am going to say is that shipping a switchblade over state lines is illegal.   (I believe this crime would be a felony.  Please correct me if I am wrong.)

http://www.akti.org/news/changes-to-federal-switchblade-act

This does not include assisted openers.