TN Bill to remove restrictions on knife possession and carry

So for someone browsing on their phone are Bali Songs still illegal after this bill becomes law?

No, they should be fine too, as they are a gravity knife, which is also defined as a switchblade in TCA.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
Guest ASmartOne

No, they should be fine too, as they are a gravity knife, which is also defined as a switchblade in TCA.

- OS

I did not know that.  I had thought butterfly knives were legal.

I did not know that.  I had thought butterfly knives were legal.

Many people make the mistake of thinking they are legal to carry, they are not and as I am a big fan of them I hope this is resolved with the new bill. Several movies have made these knives appear as a gang members weapon and therefore scared people into thinking they are evil weapons. Oregon is the only state that I know of that recognizes them for what they truly are. They have no problem with people carrying them.

When I lived in Florida I had a concealed weapon permit and carried my Benchmade Bali-song everywhere I truly miss this as a carry knife they are fantastic!
  • Like 1

LOL it was so long ago that I got it I had to look it up. It's a Rukus model, the blade is 4.25. 

Cool,

I was wondering the legality of carrying it blade length explains it hopefully this will not be an issue for much longer!
Guest ASmartOne

Dumb question.  Knife expert.com lists "case law".  I don't know anything about the website or their "case law' but it does have this: "

Butterfly or Balisong knives are not switchblades..."
(1986)

This "case law"  was what made me think that butterfly knives were legal.  Does this "case law" mean anything?  Or is this an untrustworthy website?

Dumb question.  Knife expert.com lists "case law".  I don't know anything about the website or their "case law' but it does have this: "

Butterfly or Balisong knives are not switchblades..."
(1986)

This "case law"  was what made me think that butterfly knives were legal.  Does this "case law" mean anything?  Or is this an untrustworthy website?

Must not be Tennessee case law? (the only one that might count).

From 39-17-1301:

"(17) "Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a blade which opens automatically by:

(A) Hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle; or

( B ) Operation of gravity or inertia"

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Assisted open knifes will be legal to carry only after TBI,FBI and local Law enforcement agency background check and approval. But must be left in your vehicle prior to entering any public of private owed establishment.. <---- It would be par for the course.. 

Guest ASmartOne

Must not be Tennessee case law? (the only one that might count).

From 39-17-1301:

"(17) "Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a blade which opens automatically by:

(A) Hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle; or

( B ) Operation of gravity or inertia"

- OS

Here is a link: http://knife-expert.com/tn.txt

The "case law" is at the bottom of the page.

Edited by ASmartOne
Guest ASmartOne

Ah, thanks, so it was apparently TN case law from somewhere.

Well, I guess that could be used as a defense if so. Problem is, it wouldn't mean jack to an arresting officer, and would have to be used in court -- where, even if you won, you still lost.

- OS

True, true.  It is meaningless with out an actual case # to back it up.  Always glad to learn something.

Guest ASmartOne

Help for the uninitiated please.  What does that mean in plain English?  I know it is not a full house vote.  And who is on that panel? 

Guest ASmartOne

Thanks!  I know the Senate to House to Governor but the committee/sub-committee is new to me.  I really appreciate the help! 

• Moderators

Committee is essentially where most bills die. In order to get to the House or Senate floor, they must first go through a committee that is related to the bill's nature. 

Here are the committees:

http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/committees/

Representatives are assigned to various committees for the House, and Senators are assigned to various committees for the Senate. For example, bills regarding knives and firearms typically go before Criminal Justice committees. 

Got it?

Thanks!  I know the Senate to House to Governor but the committee/sub-committee is new to me.  I really appreciate the help! 

Pretty much the same in every state, and federal Congress.

Federally at least, only a tiny percentage of bills ever get to the floor of either the House or Senate and you never even hear of the ones that don't, unless they've picked up some kind of spin that the news media grabs.

Even Feinstein's gun ban bill was submitted any number of times through the various Congressional sessions since the AWB expiration in '04, but never a mention of it until this time around, due to Sandy Hook and consequent national attention.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest LittleBear571
I'm excited about this. I have a very nice big knife my great grandfather made that I've always wanted to carry. He also made a very nice leather sheath for it as well