TN Bill to remove restrictions on knife possession and carry

I wouldn't worry about the Gov.  The majorites in both houses are big enough to override his veto, and he learned that with the "guns in bars" fiasco.

But do they support it enough to override. OR does the Governor give them political cover to say "Well. we tried"?

Next step is the full Committee http://www.capitol.tn.gov/house/committees/finance.html that's on 4/9/13. If this is the last committee and it passes it's on to the House. A pass there gets it on the way to the Governor. Get in touch with the Committee Members and see if we can get it out of there.

Any idea of the timeline of the bill's progression to the Gov's desk?

God & Tribe

Guest ancient_serpent

Full Committee Emails for the House Standing Committee Finance, Ways and Means

rep.joe.armstrong@capitol.tn.gov

rep.kevin.brooks@capitol.tn.gov

rep.kent.calfee@capitol.tn.gov

rep.mike.carter@capitol.tn.gov

rep.barbara.cooper@capitol.tn.gov

rep.lois.deberry@capitol.tn.gov  

rep.craig.fitzhugh@capitol.tn.gov

rep.steve.hall@capitol.tn.gov

rep.mike.harrison@capitol.tn.gov

rep.david.hawk@capitol.tn.gov

rep.matthew.hill@capitol.tn.gov

rep.curtis.johnson@capitol.tn.gov

rep.gerald.mccormick@capitol.tn.gov

rep.steve.mcdaniel@capitol.tn.gov

rep.larry.miller@capitol.tn.gov

rep.gary.odom@capitol.tn.gov

rep.dennis.roach@capitol.tn.gov

rep.johnny.shaw@capitol.tn.gov

Edited by ancient_serpent
Guest ancient_serpent

I agree with you John. This is important and for more than the knives. The current laws are more than a little stupid, especially in the light of people being able to open carry anyways. 

Guest ASmartOne

If it even looks like they will not pass this, let's get TGO members down there to protest! :up:

You gave me a bad shock!  I thought you said: "It looks like it won't pass."

So I'm an idiot.  I thought that they were saying "rolled to the hill" but it was "rolled to the heel."  They were putting it at the back of the calendar.  Makes sense.  I'll figure all of this out one day.  

I wouldn't worry about the Gov.  The majorites in both houses are big enough to override his veto, and he learned that with the "guns in bars" fiasco.

Keep in mind, though, that it was Bredesen who vetoed the bill to allow permit holders to carry where alcohol is sold.  Bredesen was a Democrat so the Repubs were (IMO) gung ho to override him, kind of using it as a party issue (and got support from some Democrats who probably didn't want to be seen as being on the anti-gun rights bandwagon.)  This time, however, it is a Republican governor with Republicans controlling both houses.  They might not want to over-ride 'their guy'.

That is honestly why I think it is best - as long as we remain stuck with the two party system - when the governor is of one party and the other party has a strong presence in both houses.  Their infighting and trying to one-up each other seemed to have benefitted us as we saw more pro-gun rights bills passed with a Democrat governor and Democrats controlling the House than we have seen since the Republicans took control of everything.  Basically, the idea that the Republicans were/are on 'our side' is an illusion that they like to perpetuate when election time rolls around.

Still, as this isn't an 'evil' pro-gun rights bill and as the big business lords and masters probably have no reason to object maybe Haslam would sign it - if the bill makes it to his desk.  We can hope, anyhow.  It really makes no sense that I (as an HCP holder) can, if I want, legally carry several handguns, have a loaded long gun in my truck but could get in legal trouble for carrying a knife with a blade over four inches long.

Edited by JAB
Guest 270win

A lot of Tennessee's problem is the House Speaker.  We haven't had squat passed as far as improving the gun situation in a meaningful way since she became House Speaker.

The key to me to making good gun law changes will be to use subtle bill titles that will fix things in a big way.  Call bills 'technical firearms law fix' bills.  Arkansas just did that and will have some meaningful changes in Jul.  Most of these politicians do not read bills.

Edited by 270win
Guest tangojuliet

Its moved through everything so far with overwhelming majority.  Finance sub was the first close vote and even it was pretty one sided.  

what do ya mean?

Its moved through everything so far with overwhelming majority.  Finance sub was the first close vote and even it was pretty one sided.

what do ya mean?

It did good in the Senate, passed.

It's doing good in the House: The Subcommittee on Finance was its closest vote so far but not real close.

- OS

Guest tangojuliet

It did good in the Senate, passed.

It's doing good in the House: The Subcommittee on Finance was its closest vote so far but not real close.

- OS

kk just misunderstood 

The state sheriff's association is trying to shut it down.  They have removed everything in the bill except the pre-emption clause.  Switchblades, autos, etc will still be illegal and the size limit is back in place.  

As amended, it passed to Calendar & Rules.  

I'm pretty upset right now.  

The state sheriff's association is trying to shut it down.  They have removed everything in the bill except the pre-emption clause.  Switchblades, autos, etc will still be illegal and the size limit is back in place.  

As amended, it passed to Calendar & Rules.  

I'm pretty upset right now.  

Then the only thing it does is prevent local ordinances more strict that state law. Big whup.

I'm fairly crushed about it myself. Have been practicing with my 5.5" Voyager.

- OS

Exactly.  This is garbage.  Rep. Dennis caved to pressure from sheriffs that have no idea what they are talking about.  Its garbage.  The head of the sheriff's association was there today and he compared the sound of a switchblade to the pump of a shotgun.  Fearmongering!