TN Bill to remove restrictions on knife possession and carry

Could certainly be charged if the cop had an axe to grind. Same with a ball bat or other club. Unlikely, though, without some extenuating circumstances.

- OS

I actually working a case on a criminal docket in an East Tennessee Court (not Knox County, but close) a few years ago when a guy was being charged with an illegal knife charge for having it in his vehicle.  He seemed like a really nice guy and his explanation to the judge was that he always worked outdoors and had carried rather large folding knives his entire life and had no idea it was illegal.  As I was waiting for my client's case to be heard I had an opportunity to ask that guy's lawyer why he was being charged and made the comment that I'd be surprised by a charge like that in Knox County absent someone mouthing off to the LEO or guilty of some other crime. His lawyer informed me that it was a checkpoint issue with a young cop officer eager to issue lots of citations.  I remember thinking that my morning would have been easier if they person I was representing was as sympathetic as the good old country boy with a knife.  I think it had a favorable outcome for the guy but it's a great example of why you shouldn't ever be led to believe that because something is a "common practice" that you won't find yourself charged with a crime.     

• Like 4

They'd have to drop "club" from the unlawful carry statute.  I'd kinda like to carry a sap once in a while.

- OS

You got it OS.

I have several well made saps from Boston Leather, and a couple of custom made ones.

Carrying a collapsible baton like an ASP (as the current law allows with a cert)  just isn't the same... nor does it serve the same purpose.

You got it OS.

I have several well made saps from Boston Leather, and a couple of custom made ones.

Carrying a collapsible baton like an ASP (as the current law allows with a cert)  just isn't the same... nor does it serve the same purpose.

Well, actually, don't see why you can't carry a sap if you have the certificate.

Defense reads "By any person possessing a club or baton who holds a certificate that the person has had training in the use of a club or baton..."

And certainly a sap falls under the definition of "club" in 1301: '"Club" means any instrument that is specially designed, made or adapted
for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument;'

I just don't want to carry one bad enough to go through that, I guess. And of course, pay for another privilege.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I generally do...And that my friend is why I carry a copy of the statute next to my permit.

Unfortunately not all Peace Officers are aware of the law, and the implications of the cert.

Greater clarity in the law, and removing the need for certification would make it a non-issue.

Friend of mine's dad was an old school detective in Nashville and told me the best way to use a baton was, "Strike up under thier chin, then back down on top of thier head, and then side to side." :stick:They sure did things different back then! Might be why they started the training requirements in the first place. Soft tissue people!

Friend of mine's dad was an old school detective in Nashville and told me the best way to use a baton was, "Strike up under thier chin, then back down on top of thier head, and then side to side." :stick:They sure did things different back then! Might be why they started the training requirements in the first place. Soft tissue people!

Well, if you're trying to kill somebody, he's pretty much dead on!  :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...
I'm pretty sure the Benchmade I was issued in the army is considered a switchblade under TN law. I didn't know it was a crime to carry that around until I read something about prohibitions on switchblades. I never left the house without it.
  • Moderators
I'd like to see it passed just to have one less useless law on the books. If the state.gov wanted to really be useful, they could spend an entire session not passing any new laws, but going through the TCA and removing all the outdated, stupid, and useless laws on the books.

Plus, I'd also like to carry my new CRKT Dragon without worrying about getting hassled. I am licensed by the state to carry a gun, often carry two, and they are worried about a knife with a 4.5" blade.
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

Right now they are working on SB 0222. Two more things to go over after this, and then the knife bill. I doubt I"ll stick around for the possible hours needed until they get to it, but anticipating seeing what the outcome is.

EDIT: Live feed:
http://tnga.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=9&event_id=126

Edited by CZ9MM