TN Bill to remove restrictions on knife possession and carry

Who from this Sheriff's Assoc and what was their reason for talking our legislators into not fixing this problem?  Does the sheriff's assoc make the laws or the people?

The Sheriff's Association is the group that has the legislator's balls in the palm of their hand.  Remember two years ago, they got the legislature to pass a bill requiring anyone who runs for Sheriff has to be a Post Certified LEO PRIOR to running for office, in effect creating a lifetime certification for each County Sheriff to stay in that job until such time as they want to retire, and changing 200+ years of the County Sheriff being a political office instead of a hereditary fiefdom.

In all my time on the Hill, I have never seen a group that scares the legislators more than the Sheirff's Association.

• 4 weeks later...

Any news on this?

Not on this end. I've been looking at Haslam's Facebook page because it occasionally post updates on the bills he has signed. Nothing on this bill, but plety of people flooding that page about the Ag-gag bill.

Guest tangojuliet

so no news i figured it wouldnt pass this year oh well always next year *puts pitch fork and protest signs up :waiting: *

It has already passed and been transmitted to the Governor's desk as of 5/6/2013. He has to sign , or veto it, or doesn't  it become law without his signature on July First?

Joe W.

P.S. just looked it up in the Constitution, if the Gov does not return it to Legislature within Ten days with his resons for vetoing it becomes law without His signature. So acording to that He has 7 days to veto it or sign it. Then it is law anyway. 

Edited by bronco302
Guest DCritter

According to this: http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=216&Itemid=1

It was signed into law on the 17th.  I'm not 100% certain of what portions of the bill survived at this point though.

As note in that linked article, the bill signed into law  cover Knife Law Preemption only, repealing all existing local knife laws on the books in Tennessee and prevents cities and towns from enacting any new knife laws more restrictive than state law.

The original bill also addressed those state laws by including a repeal on the ban on switchblades, dirks, daggers, stilettos and knives over four inches in length, but because of petty political reasons that section was stripped from the bill. The preemption section that remained and has now been signed into law is arguably more important and a huge step in the right direction. However, Knife Rights is committed to passing commonsense repeal of the ban on these knives next year.

Hope this helps explain what we got done this year and what is still to be done next year.

Guest drewmsmith

As note in that linked article, the bill signed into law  cover Knife Law Preemption only, repealing all existing local knife laws on the books in Tennessee and prevents cities and towns from enacting any new knife laws more restrictive than state law.

The original bill also addressed those state laws by including a repeal on the ban on switchblades, dirks, daggers, stilettos and knives over four inches in length, but because of petty political reasons that section was stripped from the bill. The preemption section that remained and has now been signed into law is arguably more important and a huge step in the right direction. However, Knife Rights is committed to passing commonsense repeal of the ban on these knives next year.

Hope this helps explain what we got done this year and what is still to be done next year.

I guess my question is more with regard to the "intent to go armed" portion of the law.  I havn't been able to find an actual copy of the bill that was signed into law.

Intent to go armed anything wasn't part of the bill.  The only thing that was signed into a law is a clause that prevents stricter laws in local governments.  

AMENDMENT #2 rewrites the bill to instead specify that it is the intent of the general assembly that present law regarding weapons is preemptive with respect to the transfer, ownership, possession or transportation of knives and that no city, county, or metropolitan government may occupy any part of the field of regulation of the transfer, ownership, possession or transportation of knives.

Guest drewmsmith

Intent to go armed anything wasn't part of the bill.  The only thing that was signed into a law is a clause that prevents stricter laws in local governments.  

AMENDMENT #2 rewrites the bill to instead specify that it is the intent of the general assembly that present law regarding weapons is preemptive with respect to the transfer, ownership, possession or transportation of knives and that no city, county, or metropolitan government may occupy any part of the field of regulation of the transfer, ownership, possession or transportation of knives.

So no real changes to the status quo for now.  Maybe next year.

Guest DCritter

So no real changes to the status quo for now.  Maybe next year.

Depends where you live. I have received a number of emails from folks who live where the length limit is less than the state's 4-inch limit and they are quite happy with the result.  It also sets the stage for next year's effort where we can concentrate on the restrictiosn, knowing anything we get done cannot be undone by cities or towns.

• 3 weeks later...

So, 4.10 inch blades and any auto opening knife remains against the law? Who put the stop to that part of the Bill? I collect knives and find these laws make it next to impossible to understand what you can and can not own and under what situations. and to take an outdoor camping blade to the mountains  likely makes you a criminal without making modifications to how you travel, what you do, and where you do it.

I would like to think a CCW permit might extend some knife leniency, but no. 

What do law abiding people have to do? Hire a lawyer to review your outings! Good Grief, this is Tennessee.

Guest DCritter

What do law abiding people have to do? Hire a lawyer to review your outings! Good Grief, this is Tennessee.

It was the Tennessee Sheriffs Association that bushwacked us. The solution is to help Knife Rights fix the law next session. We are already working towards accomplishing that and recently had a meeting with Tennessee stakeholders to organize for next year's effort. 

Consider making a donation to support Knife Rights' efforts in our Ultimate Steel fundraiser.  www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel    Help us create a Sharper Future in Tennessee

• 4 weeks later...

So we are still stuck with a 4" limit on a knife. That really sucks I have a permit that allows me to carry a fully loaded firearm but can't carry a knife over 4" in what world does that make any sense.

Welcome to Bizarro World.

bizarroworld.jpg

bizarro-code.jpg

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 1
Guest DCritter

So we are still stuck with a 4" limit on a knife. That really sucks I have a permit that allows me to carry a fully loaded firearm but can't carry a knife over 4" in what world does that make any sense.

"Make any sense" and anything to do with politics are pretty much oxymorons, BUT we can fix that next year with everyone's support. This is a great time to make a donation to Knife Rights. Not only do you get a chance at YOUR CHOICE of nearly $100,000 worth of Knives, Guns and More, but through the close of the fundraiser on July 31st you will also be entered into a separate Tail End Bonus Drawing with over $4.500 in prizes!  To make a donation, go to: www.KnifeRights.org/UltimateSteel

• 5 months later...
Guest DCritter

Tennessee State Senator Mike Bell has introduced a bill to finish the job of updating the state's knife laws. Last year Knife Rights and Senator Bell passed knife law preemption, but the effort to repeal the antiquated ban on switchblade knives and possession "with intent to go armed"  of knives over four inches in length failed in the House due to opposition from the Tennessee Sheriff's Association (TSA).

Knife Rights has worked very closely with the TSA Executive Director Terry Ashe to address their concerns and SB1438 is the result. We sincerely appreciate Sheriff Ashe's cooperation in coming up with a solution for the TSA's concerns while removing restrictions on law-abiding citizens.  SB1438  would repeal the ban on automatic knives and on carry of knives over 4-inches in length "with intent to go armed," a vague term subject to abuse by authorities.

If you live, work or travel in Tennessee, please contact your state Senator and ask them to please support SB1438. You can find your Tennessee state Senator here: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/legislators/

The e-mail to my Senator who I am hoping to see a reply from...

Senator Summerville,

I'd like to reach out and ask for your support of a Bill that is very important to me and my fellow Tennesseans. SB1438 is but one small step in the right direction expanding individual freedoms to  responsible citizens and the state of Tennessee. The bill would update the more antiquated laws currenty in place.

I am hopefull that you will support common sense legislation such as this as well as any other legistlation that comes up which expands individual and economic freedoms to responsible Tennesseans.

I look forward to correspondence regarding your pending support for expanding freedoms to Tennesseans in the future.

Thank you and have a very blessed rest of the year, as well as the new year to come,

Theodore Stevens.

• 4 weeks later...