TN Bill to remove restrictions on knife possession and carry

Have a question?

I have a SOG Tomcat I really like but don't carry off my property because of the 4" law. Measuring the blade, it's a shade over 4" from the tip of the blade to the handle. Looked up the TN knife law and it's very vague and doesn't mention any measurements, just length.

SOG says the knife blade length is 3-3/4". Is that measurement just the length of the cutting edge?

you guys don't need a knife that big, blades longer than 4 inches belong on the battlefield!

I hope this passes I have a couple knives that I have never worn out the front door :(

Law measure from handle to tip.   SOG is likely just measuring the cutting edge. 

Yep agree. Statute doesn't say "cutting edge" or "sharpened" edge. Don't know of a state law that does, although the one in the UK does.

You can be pert damn sure if push comes to shove, LEA will measure total length from tip to grip.

Actually, makes sense as far as penetration aspect is concerned, doesn't matter if blade edge is sharpened at all for that purpose really, long as the point works.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Placed on s/c cal Criminal Justice Subcommittee for 3/5/2013

Looks like still in committee in Senate and House but moving. So thats good sign. Time to get this stuff passed while the Republicans hold all three. Parking Lot bill passed House today and it goes to the Governor.

guys just put a shop hammer and a few tools in your car and your good to go! lol

The favorite weapon of the Hells angels is a ball peen hammer for that reason. Does this count as a shop hammer?

2012-12-08_14-40-08_666_zpsca535ecf.jpg

The favorite weapon of the Hells angels is a ball peen hammer for that reason. Does this count as a shop hammer?

2012-12-08_14-40-08_666_zpsca535ecf.jpg

Love the fire in the background. Looks like it's emanating from the hammer!

• Like 1

Its on the Senate calendar for today but its so far down on the agenda, I doubt it will get any time.  

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/videocalendars/VideoCalendarmain.aspx?committeeid=601000&videodate=03/04/2013&ga=108

Click on Senate Regular Calendar and its third from the bottom.  

Its also listed as being on the Criminal Justice Subcommittee's agenda for tomorrow.