TN Bill to remove restrictions on knife possession and carry

Thats actually a great question and one that I don't know the answer to.  I'm sure that they have to run it through just to see the fiscal effects.  

Yep, like signage at state parks and such. They'll spend our money on all sorts of stupid stuff, but for things like this there has to be zero impact.

As far as I know, shipping auto knives across state lines is illegal for civilians, so ordering is out unless they ship from TN...

Pretty sure that's not true. I've ordered several automatic knives from out of state businesses with no issues or complications.

I doubt I'd purchase any auto knives if the law changes, but I'd definately wear my Scrapyard Scrapper 5 more often if it does pass.

Don't get me wrong, I love my smaller folding knives, but there are just some tasks that I really need a medium sized fixed blade for, although oddly enough "going armed" isn't one of them.

In an emergency than yea I'd resort to using anything/everything that I could to defend myself, but I have never considered carrying a knife, even a large knife as "being armed".

Kind of thinking that if I can carry a pistol, an automatic knife shouldn't really be an issue. Just an old law that needs to be done away with.

And thats what they are working on.  Doing away with it almost completely. 

I've been updating the thread every step of the way.  The bill passed the Senate a couple of weeks ago.  The house version then begun its journey starting with the Criminal Justice Subcommittee and then this week was heard and passed unopposed by the Criminal Justice Committee.  

It is now on the calendar for the House Finance, Ways and Means committee on 3/27/2013.

• Like 1
Guest 270win

As far as I understand, there is no law against carrying a knife at a school as long as you are not 'going armed'.  I do not carry knives as weapons, I carry them as tools.  Kind of hard to go armed with a Leatherman or Swiss Army knife.  Even small folders are used by most people as tools.

Guest ASmartOne

Pretty sure that's not true. I've ordered several automatic knives from out of state businesses with no issues or complications.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is a crime.  The discussion on Bladeforums: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1023824-Shipping-Automatic-Knives?highlight=shipping+switchblade  If you will put "Federal Switchblade Act" in to Google or Bing you will find many results.  Take this one as an example: http://www.ebladestore.com/federal-switchblade-act.shtml

I really do hate to rain on your parade but I don't want anyone to go to jail.  If the law passes, I am planning to find a dealer in state and pay the price to not commit a federal crime.

I am still really excited about being able to carry a blade larger than 4".

..."Federal Switchblade Act" ....  If the law passes, I am planning to find a dealer in state and pay the price to not commit a federal crime.

Not prohibited in the act to receive the switchblade, only to ship it.

- OS

• Like 1

As far as I understand, there is no law against carrying a knife at a school as long as you are not 'going armed'.  I do not carry knives as weapons, I carry them as tools.  Kind of hard to go armed with a Leatherman or Swiss Army knife.  Even small folders are used by most people as tools.

You're "going armed" with any knife, when they say you are.

They way the statute is worded, it's obvious that all bladed tools constitute "going armed", with the "weapon of like kind" mention. 

'..."weapon of like kind" includes razors and razor blades, except those used solely for personal shaving, and any sharp pointed or edged instrument, except unaltered nail files and clips and tools used solely for preparation of food, instruction and maintenance.'

- OS