Feedback requested... banner ads?

• Administrator

I have been on the fence about this for a while now and would like some feedback from you folks.

What would you think if we offered banner ads for sale to businesses that provide goods and services for firearms enthusiasts? We could also donate banner space to charitable organizations for events like the American Cancer Society's Celebrity Shoot coming up later this year.

The reason I've been on the fence is because sometimes banner ads can be a bit obtrusive. I absolutely would not want to do it in such a way that it's a detriment to anyone's experience here at TGO. But I also have clicked a lot of banner ads on other gun sites and have purchased some stuff for my guns as a result. I don't mind ads so much when they are representing things that are of relevance to the site in question.

:rock:

As for why we'd want to do it in the first place, that's fairly simple...

#1 - It would help raise money that could lead toward us incorporating TGO, which could be important as time passes and we start looking at doing things like TGO sponsored events. Corporations provide a good shelter for the sake of liability, insurance, etc.

#2 - It would help raise money that would be used for things like "TGO Gear". People have asked about hats, polo shirts, t-shirts, stickers, sew on patches (for shooting sports vests I think?), whatever. Those things all cost money to set up and make the initial purchase.

#3 - It would help fund software purchase and renewals and other such ongoing operating expenses. Our expenses are actually quite low, so this is really a minor thing. The only way I can forsee operating expenses increasing is if we had to find a different place to host the site.

Anyway, I just wanted to toss this out on the table and see what you all think. This is your site so I don't want to go screwing it up. :D

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Voodoo_1

I think it's a great idea to help raise money for the site. I too have clicked on banner ads (Galco Leather) being one and immediately bought my shoulder holster for my Beretta. I think they are a helpful tool as long as they are not overdone (i.e. AR-15.com).:rock:

I'm all for a reasonable approach to revenue. Banner ads would be fine if they are not over-done and are appropriate to the content of this forum. I agree w/Voodoo-1 that AR-15.com completely over does it, but something a bit more subtle would be fine. Many of us are hoping to see TGO grow as a forum and organization, and I think this is a reasonable step.

-Len

Guest GlocKingTN

I as well dont mind banner ads. I see them on alot of the other forums I visit. They would be helpful in alot of ways.

But also agreeing with everyone else, as long as it didnt involve annoying pop-up ads, and as long as they pertained to the site and/or its contents!

I don't mind banner ads, but hate the type that scroll down the page with you. If that is avoidable I would appreciate it. While I don;t post here ofter I read the new threads sever times a day and Wouldn't want anything to obtrusive, that would make gathering information from the site more difficult.

P.S. I concur with no pop-up's

A single rotating banner ad up at the top is not an issue. Two banners is alright I guess, but anything beyond two starts to get annoying. surplusrifle.com has always done the banner ads fairly sedately, and they were always pretty relevant to the subject matter at hand.

Guest Boomhower
No, there won't be any pop-up ads. Those SUCK. :lol:

Just a simple banner ad at the top and/or bottom of each page and that's assuming that we do it at all. :)

I would say go for it. It would be a good income source for this website as it starts to take wings and fly.

• Administrator

Well, as you may have noticed... I'm going to give this a whirl and see how it turns out. If the general consensus is that it looks like junk and is obtrusive to the overall viewing experience, we'll either remodel it or ditch it.

Thanks for the words of support so far! :lol:

• Administrator

By the way, a few of the ads right now are "fluff" just so that there are enough banners to actually rotate through upon each page load. The only legitimate banner that we had at the moment was the one I did for the American Cancer Society Charity Shoot.

If you know of a gun shop, firing range or even an online retailer who might want to buy a banner ad to help support the site... please let them or me (or both) know. :lol: