Man carrying AR-15 arrested at gun rights rally near Capitol

This is exactly why we really pushed people not to bring rifles to the rally we had at the Capitol on January 19th. I called the legal department at Legislative Plaza and also talked to the Tennessee State Patrol. They had absolutely no issues with people carrying a handgun as long as they had permits. They were very thankful that I was telling people not to bring rifles. They said that if people did they would be checking them for ammo.

This guy broke the law. It is as simple as that. If we are going to win this battle we will not do it by intentially breaking Tennessee state laws and acting like vigilantes.

As correct as you are, and that you made that attempt to ensure that wouldn't happen, it still remains our duty to fight these dumb laws

that caused the problem, in the first place. The argument over the image is becoming a ring around our neck.

I am frustrated that we are fighting these arguments by someone elses rules. I'm not directing my frustrations at you, just the premise

we usually lose an argument from. Usually, it is the winner of an argument by the one who sets the rules of arguing. That's the same

premise that is causing the Republicans to continually lose key races. Our strategy and attitude needs to change, drastically. We

are not the minority!

Being from Indiana I find it to be strange that I cannot carry a loaded rifle or shotgun here in TN, it is very common for folks in IN to have "truck/trunk guns" w/or without a LTCH.

And as far as I am aware (and I lived in Indiana 40 someodd years) there hasn't been any public safety concerns arrising from that practice, it's not like folks misuse them any more than anywhere else that prohibits firearm carry or even firearm ownership entirely.

Being from Indiana I find it to be strange that I cannot carry a loaded rifle or shotgun here in TN, it is very common for folks in IN to have "truck/trunk guns" w/or without a LTCH.

And as far as I am aware (and I lived in Indiana 40 someodd years) there hasn't been any public safety concerns arrising from that practice, it's not like folks misuse them any more than anywhere else that prohibits firearm carry or even firearm ownership entirely.

If I recall correctly, the "premise" of the prohibition of having a loaded rifle in the vehicle supposedly discourages hunting from the vehicle... or "roadside" hunting/poaching... at least I think that's the excuse given by authorities. Someone please add to/correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by tartanphantom

Your "premise" is the same "premise" that inhibits liberty. Behavior by some does not make a good argument to disable

a right for all. Check "your" premise.

If I recall correctly, the "premise" of the prohibition of having a loaded rifle in the vehicle supposedly discourages hunting from the vehicle... or "roadside" hunting/poaching... at least I think that's the excuse given by authorities. Someone please add to/correct me if I am wrong.

Or, at least the government's. :D

But permit holders can have a loaded firearm in their vehicle...  And what does that have to do with carrying one around outside of a vehicle?

To me (and forgive the opinion) this seems like boarding a plane carrying a bunch of cardboard tubes with a watch wrapped around it. You're just asking for trouble...

It's like the video from http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/60652-daotd-award-goes-to/. These folks know they're stirring the pot. You can't expect the police to ignore that or not question your motives because they don't know you. Frankly, if I was open carrying and walked past a cop who glanced at my sidearm and said nothing...i would question his judgement. Mainly because I would wonder about what he did when he saw the next guy.

I'm a firm believer that we should stand up for our rights but I don't think doing it like this is the answer. Pick your battles is all i'm saying.

Guest Springfield1911guy

:rofl: 

Some people just don't get it. He should have to spend 30 days in jail. Forced to share a jail cell with a liberal.

I must respectfully disagree with you sir. That would be a clear violation of the 8th amendment about "cruel and unusual punishment". :wave:

I'm ending my participation with this.

How many times does it take to make you feel good by calling someone dumb, or stupid, when it's the law that is stupid?

I never go out of the way to enflame society, and even before this law came about, I never carried a gun out in public

because I always thought that would be the civil way to act around others, but stupid laws have a nasty way of making

things worse for all. Drive out in the country during deer season. Look around, might just find someone toting a rifle.

City slickers go away. Us folks in the south are used to this. At least we used to be.

Remember that photo of that black guy wearing a white shirt and having an AR slung on his shoulder during Obama's

visit somewhere out west? Funny how the media tried to crop out the face to make it into some racist thing. And that man

in Washington state that the 160 came to his rescue in front of the city council meeting. We have gotten a bit too wimpy,

in my opinion about such things. Just the idea of a law like this is the stupid thing to ponder.

If this is the best response some can do, don't bother with changing any gun related law because the cowards are ruling

without having to try.

Hey, it's not MY "premise", but I think it's the dumb justification for the existing statute.

That's why I said "or, at least the government's premise". Wasn't meaning to call you out about it. :D

I don't know Mr. Robertson personally, but I talked to someone this morning who does. He spoke very highly of Reggie. I have met some of his family. I'm sure he had no idea that carrying a rifle is against Tennessee law.

My friend expects this charge will be dismissed; I sincerely hope so.

Things are different up here.

• Like 1

Even if the man didn't know it was against the law (which is a bit difficult to believe); he should have been able to figure out that it was a bad idea...we have a difficult enough time just getting people to accept civilian carry of handguns - carrying around an "evil looking assault" rifle is not going to win the hearts and minds of those who want to see those weapons outlawed completely.

For every expert that says that, there is another that says seeing people carry those types of weapons around is just what is needed to make the public feel safe with people carrying those types of weapons.

We need to stop hiding in the shadows, and start being visible...  If you saw 2 or 3 people with an AR on their person everyday...  After a couple of years it wouldn't scare you anymore, it would become the new normal.

Even if the man didn't know it was against the law (which is a bit difficult to believe); he should have been able to figure out that it was a bad idea...we have a difficult enough time just getting people to accept civilian carry of handguns - carrying around an "evil looking assault" rifle is not going to win the hearts and minds of those who want to see those weapons outlawed completely.

For every expert that says that, there is another that says seeing people carry those types of weapons around is just what is needed to make the public feel safe with people carrying those types of weapons.

And they would be wrong.

I've heard essentially the same argument made for open carry but I've yet to see anything other than opinion and an anecdote here and there to give any credence to this line of thinking.

We need to stop hiding in the shadows, and start being visible...  If you saw 2 or 3 people with an AR on their person everyday...  After a couple of years it wouldn't scare you anymore, it would become the new normal.

This is not about "hiding in the shadows"; what the person did is ILLEGAL. "2 or 3 people with an AR on their person" in public will result in 2 or 3 people getting arrested and rightfully so under current law.

Anyone can make a mistake but those who chose to carry have a responsibility to KNOW the laws regarding carrying arms, especially in our own state...even if completely unintentional and well intentioned; all this person did by taking an (apparently) loaded AR to the rally was give the gun-haters/fear mongers something to feed their opinions and use to their advantage.

Edited by RobertNashville

Robert, all you have to do is go back to your childhood to get that answer. When we allowed emotions to make laws is where

we allowed things to become illegal, thereby making more folks into criminals. sure, the easy statement is just to call the guy

an idiot, but the real answer is a dumb law that incriminates something that doesn't harm anyone.

When you see laws passed that give the public a "sense" of safety, you create a false "sense" of security. Laws like this are 

too much fluff and get people in trouble who, otherwise are upstanding in the community. Laws like this only make everyone

a little closer to being a criminal for nothing.

Robert, all you have to do is go back to your childhood to get that answer. When we allowed emotions to make laws is where

we allowed things to become illegal, thereby making more folks into criminals. sure, the easy statement is just to call the guy

an idiot, but the real answer is a dumb law that incriminates something that doesn't harm anyone.

When you see laws passed that give the public a "sense" of safety, you create a false "sense" of security. Laws like this are 

too much fluff and get people in trouble who, otherwise are upstanding in the community. Laws like this only make everyone

a little closer to being a criminal for nothing.

I didn't call him an idiot...I simply said he should either know the laws of his state (our state) or should have been able to figure out that carrying an AR to this protest was probably not a good idea even if it were legal.  Beyond that, please don't misunderstand; I'm not in any suggesting that carrying a long gun, loaded or otherwise, SHOULD be illegal. If I were dictator for a day about 99.9% of all existing firearm laws would be immediately removed from the books...I believe people should be able to carry anywhere they are legally allowed to be and carry any weapon that a "militia" would generally carry on their person.

That said, ignoring the laws that do exist and especially doing so in a public location where the media will be LOOKING for a way to make an issue out of something, is not the way, in my opinion, to go about getting laws changed nor in "getting people used to seeing people carry long guns".

I didn't mean to say you called him one, and, otherwise, all of what you wrote is what I knew you would say, anyway. It's

the attitude of some that I differ with. These laws need to be struck down.

We're good. :D