What do you say when spotted?

Guest Cogent Design

Last time i was spotted i pointed my glock at the little girl and sad " you got a problem snot nose?"

She took off running toward space mountain. I didnt see her the rest of the weekend.

:rofl:

Is that any way to treat your six year old daughter . . . ?

Edited by QuietDan
  • 1 month later...
Guest Hound

depends on how they ask, id probably tell them the truth but if they ask rudely id simply tell them to ask more politly if you want a real answer.

Usually CC, and have never been asked/approached while doing so.

Have only been asked once while OC'ing ... Stopped at a gun-friendly restaurant with a S&W 5906 on my belt (and yeah, I know, they's HEAVY!).  This guy at the table next to mine asked, "You expecting trouble?"  I just said, "Naw, not with 16 rounds of 9mm on me.  Besides, the owner probably would take care of any trouble with his .45 before I could draw."

End of conversation.

For what it's worth, I think the best answer is the truth, given in a friendly manner.  I won't become confrontational unless I have to.

Usually CC, and have never been asked/approached while doing so.

Have only been asked once while OC'ing ... Stopped at a gun-friendly restaurant with a S&W 5906 on my belt (and yeah, I know, they's HEAVY!).  This guy at the table next to mine asked, "You expecting trouble?"  I just said, "Naw, not with 16 rounds of 9mm on me.  Besides, the owner probably would take care of any trouble with his .45 before I could draw."

End of conversation.

For what it's worth, I think the best answer is the truth, given in a friendly manner.  I won't become confrontational unless I have to.

If someone asked me if I was expecting trouble while carrying, I'd say "if I was, I'd have a rifle".

If someone asked me if I was expecting trouble while carrying, I'd say "if I was, I'd have a rifle".

Appreciate the sentiment, ab, but my eyes are no good anymore. I'd have to go with a scattergun.

Gettin' older bites big time - but it's better than the alternative ...

I open carry, but am a portly feller so my shirts, being size parachute, generally cover my leather DeSantis holster. I've been asked once back when I had my 1911, I was at the Harley of Cool Springs for the MoCo test rides they do yearly and happened to notice a gent eye balling me out of the corner of my eye I glance at him and he immediately asks, "Is that a BB gun??", I could tell by the accent he was a yank so I just responded with, "yep, they're really big lead BB's that make big holes." He gave me this look of 'oh @#$&'. I reassurred him that it was ok and that I had my handgun carry permit. He asked wearily, "Do you think you'll need that??" I smiled and said, "I really hope not..." It was four months after that event that I got my Harley, not that this has anything to do with carrying... ;)

A previous comment stated that few notice OC and very few will notice CC.  Was at a grocery store check out and lanes are narrow.  In process of getting ready to pay for my items, a shopping cart hits me in the back.  The very familiar sound of metal against metal was very apparent.  Looked around and no one appeared to have noticed.  Have concluded that situational awarness of non-carrying people is that they are not aware the least bit of their surroundings.

I haven't had anyone ask me any questions when I've carried concealed, which is 90+ percent of the time.  I did forget to grab my jacket when I got out of the car to go into Walgreens one time and had a young, little fella (probably about age 4 or 5) very interested in why I had a gun.  Very inquisitive mind for such a little guy.  If any one else sitting in the pharmacy waiting area even noticed, they didn't say anything or even seem to care really.

Guest 270win

I've never been noticed unless it is my intention, such as unholstering to try a new holster or when I have done a pre employment drug screening that required me to empty my pockets at Baptist Minor Med in Bartlett.  No big deal in either of those cases.  In fact Baptist Minor Med had some sort of sign on one door saying "No weapons" or something and the nurse didn't say anything to me about it.

Edited by 270win

Was "spotted" on Sunday in the grocery store and thought I'd put this here - not so much what *I* said, but what the cop said that I thought deserved being recorded for posterity:

Apparently one of my fellow shoppers noticed my 1911 (why were they looking at my butt in the first place?) and reported it to management who called the police.  Cop showed up, was SUPER professional and it really put me at ease how calm he was the whole time.  After he'd checked my HCP I asked if I needed to leave the store, since the owner/manager was obviously uncomfortable with my being there.  The cop said:

"Oh hell no.  If you're legal, you're legal.  If they don't like it, they can go pound sand."

He got what sounded like an urgent radio call before I got to talk to him much, or I'd have loved to get his name to report to his supervisor how well he handled the situation. 

- V

Edited by Viracnis
  • Like 1
Was "spotted" on Sunday in the grocery store and thought I'd put this here - not so much what *I* said, but what the cop said that I thought deserved being recorded for posterity:

Apparently one of my fellow shoppers noticed my 1911 (why were they looking at my butt in the first place?) and reported it to management who called the police.  Cop showed up, was SUPER professional and it really put me at ease how calm he was the whole time.  After he'd checked my HCP I asked if I needed to leave the store, since the owner/manager was obviously uncomfortable with my being there.  The cop said:

"Oh hell no.  If you're legal, you're legal.  If they don't like it, they can go pound sand."

He got what sounded like an urgent radio call before I got to talk to him much, or I'd have loved to get his name to report to his supervisor how well he handled the situation. 

- V

Which grocery store?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Which grocery store?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Publix in Spring Hill.

Manager apologized for the confusion, actually.  Said she called the non-emergency police number to find out it was legal for her to ask if I had my HCP and the dispatcher sent a cop to check things out.  Mrs. Viracnis was more bent out of shape over it than I was.  Sadly, it seems like it comes with the territory anymore.  Friend I was with that grew up there said that it used to be totally normal to see shotguns in truck windows and even his liberal dad kept one in the farm truck for snakes and the odd skunk.

- V

I half ass open carry in the winter and cooler months with a OTW comp tac paddle or carry my kimber CDP in cross draw. When my jacket or shirt blows open no one notices. I'm surprised. I'm very vigilant to what is happening around me at all times. Most people are just oblivious I guess.
I make sure I have my tactical drop down holster when I carry my HK 45 with my surefire x300. I always wear my generic Swat shirt and tiger striped pants. Then I top it off with my ultra cool conceal carry badge.

Noone says anything to me. But I think the key is wearing your baseball cap backwards while following the steps above.
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...