How Long Have You Had Your TN Handgun Carry Permit

I've had my TN permit since I moved here in Jan '06.

I carried via reciprocity on my MS permit (I received it in 1990) until I established residency.

I also had a FL non-resident permit when I moved here, because of the increased number of states accepting it...at that time...over the MS permit.

Since TN has such broad reciprocity I let the FL permit lapse.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received my noticed in the mail a few weeks ago, that it is time to renew, now we are cooking with peanut oil.  This will be my 4th renewal.  I was fortunate to be in the first initial wave back in October 1996.  I recall taking my class, shooting range and completing the paperwork, and then waiting what felt like an eternity (close to 6 months) before getting my plastic card with my picture.  So I guess the issue date of the actual card is when the clock begins ticking, so I recall renewing in 2001, 2005, 2009, and now 2013.   

This got me thinking, I will have had my now for 16 years this April, how long have you had a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit? 

I was also.  I don't remember the exact date, but I applied for mine back in the first wave when the Counties were supposed to approve...as I recall, many just didn't, and the law was changed to put it under the Dept of Safety...in any event, its been a while, lol.

Guest Broomhead
I've renewed once so far, in spring 2012, so I've had it almost 5 years now. Feels like it's been a longer though as I feel all discombobulated and naked when I can't carry.

Its funny how looking back, we all couldnt wait for it to arrive in the mail and time seemed to drag by, but now looking back it seems like WOW, where'd all that time go? The older you get, the faster time goes. Or so it seems. Coming up on 3 years for me.

Edited by BlackHawk93
Guest mcgyver210

I believe I remember getting my first Laminated permit which had the only guns, SN I was permitted to carry printed on it the same year my son was born, 1994. I know I was inline the very first day the new permit law started because I took off work to apply.

I remember being required to obtain a Hand Gun Permit Bond which was a joke & waste of my money. Also there were many other deterrents put in place to slow down the permit process by the County & Sheriffs office.

Honestly I Lost count on how many renewals I have had though.

Guest MiniGunGal

North Carolina for 15 years, and I'm up for my 2nd renewal in TN right now, so 10 years in TN - 25 yrs!!!  Man, time flies when you're having fun!!!!  

Mine was in right after they changed everything . I guess that was 96. Mine expires in Oct 2013 and it took 7 months last time for mine to come back . I bought several guns while I was waiting and thought it was never going to come back . I wonder how quick they are coming back now ?

Wow, I would have to say congratulations to all of you that have so many years on me. My wife and I got ours in '09, we will have to renew this year.

Funny thing is, I was a very different person back in the 90's and early 2000's, it is the right thing I didn't have one back then. Thank God those days are behind me, and I am much more responsible these days and appreciate the privalage/responsibility I have now.