NIKON M-223 4-16X42 BDC 600 Looking for feed back

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say that BDC scopes rarely match more than a couple of loads and even then about 1/2 the marks are at odd distances. I would rather have a mildot.

Dolomite

Hi Dolomite

I got this off the Nikon site:

BDC 600 Reticle: Developed specifically for the trajectory of the .223 Rem 5.56 NATO round with 55-grain polymer tip bullet, the new BDC 600 reticle offers shooters unique open circle aiming points and hash marks from 100 to 600 yards

I'm looking to use this on a Savage  mod 11 Hog Hunter in 223 Rem. something to play with out to 100-500 yards. I also have a Sabre Defence AR. that I can mount it on to do some longer range shooting. Got a deal on the Nikon for $400 shipped, thats hard to pass up.

Thanks for your reply

Eyes arn't what they used to be and a scope sure helps.

"BDC 600 Reticle: Developed specifically for the trajectory of the .223 Rem 5.56 NATO round with 55-grain polymer tip bullet, the new BDC 600 reticle offers shooters unique open circle aiming points and hash marks from 100 to 600 yards"

Unfortunately they don't say which polymer tipped bullet ( different BCs ) or velocity ( .223 vs. 5.56 )  and then there is an issue once you find that magic combo that meets the hashes shooting well enough for you in your rifle, kind of a backwards way to do it I prefer make the accurate round and then see if you can match a BDC to it but it would change with the weather conditions also :shrug:

I looked at this and others with BDCs and came to the same conclusion as Dolomite... now to learn the MilDot way  I have been using a 4-16x variable scope set to show 12" @ 100 yds between the tips of the duplex reticle so that 6" @ 100 between the Thick side bar and the intersection of the fine crosshairs  to practice until I get an actual MilDot scope sort of a psuedo range finding method ( a 12" target takes up 1/2 of the scope area would be 200 yds away etc. ) not perfect but a start to thinking angles to find range.

this also helped take some of my math fears(never a strong math guy)  of MilDot   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5AGsHSIsVo

John

I have the the M223 3-12x42 BDC 600 and like it very much. :up:

I think the part where folks get worked up too much is when the BDC doesn't match up with different bullet weights, etc.

But that really doesn't matter. You're only going to use it for a reference point anyway.

Try it out on their site: http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/

You'll notice since it is not a front focal scope, that your BDC yardage changes as you zoom in and out.

The Spot On program doesn't fix the fact you will never have the BDC hashes match at normal distances like 50, 100, 150 or more. You are going to have distances like 237 yards or some other odd number.

And another issue is unless your bullet matches the velocities used by them it will never match. The difference between an AR with a 16" barrel and a 22" bolt gun is going to throw the ballistics way off. I have shot a lot of factory ammo across a chronograph and very, very few match what is listed for them. And each gun is different and that only contributes to the problem. In order for a BDC to work it must be for a standard gun shooting a standard ammo and that is why the ACOG is so successful. But even then differences in elevation and weather conditions can create variables.

The BDC can't be used as a reference to determine distance to the target, like a mildot, and it will probably not match the ammo used. I wish my Nikon BDC scope was a duplex because the BDC is useless for me.

The best way to get the hold over correct is to take your accurate load and shoot it over a chronograph (the results will surprize you). Then take that velocity, bullet type and plug it into a ballistics program like JBM. Then take the results and print it off. Then make a card that lets you make all adjustments on the turrets and forget about the BDC reticle unless your bullet and velocity combination matches which would be like winning the lottery.

Dolomite

I have the the M223 3-12x42 BDC 600 and like it very much. :up:

I think the part where folks get worked up too much is when the BDC doesn't match up with different bullet weights, etc.

But that really doesn't matter. You're only going to use it for a reference point anyway.

Try it out on their site: http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/

You'll notice since it is not a front focal scope, that your BDC yardage changes as you zoom in and out.

Thanks John

That site cleared up alot of the questions I had. I zero at 25-30yds then fine tune at 100 and move on from there.

I think for the price I can get the Nikon for it will work for me.

Guest bman940

Dol., You are correct that there is no way to measure distance with Nikon's BDC Reticle. That being said, I have found that using Spot On will give you excellent accuracy.Entering your cal., Ammo and Nikon Scope into Spot On Ballistic Program will provide you with the distances for your BDC reticle. I harvested a doe in Ks this year with my .300 Win and a Nikon MONARCH 4-16 BDC at 586 yards. If I hadn't had a rangefinder and known what my BDC distances were, I would not have been able to take that shot. I also had less then 10 sec. to make the assessment whether to take the shot or not. I have shot target's out to 600 yards on multiple occasions, so with condition's the way they were,  I felt comfortable I could make a 1 shot stop. Yes, the BDC distance's are not even number's unless you choose a M-223 Series and shoot recommended ammo. That being said, my first time ever shooting to 600 yards was with a M-223 3-12 BDC 600. I used a DPMS with a 16 inch barrel and I am certain the MV was not as suggested but the difference was not enough to keep me off a 12 inch metal plate. 

Cross., It all comes down to what you are most comfortable shooting and that will translate into a more accurate shot. Right now Nikon has a Promo going on with their Long Range Scopes. Up to $100 off ! 

Another suggestion if you like working with round numbers and will only shoot one type of ammo from your rifle, Nikon has a new scope coming out this year with a custom turret built around your shooting data. A Custom Turret can also be ordered for other Nikon Scope's from the Spot On web-site. 

Bottom line, look down as many tubes as you can, you are asking the right question's, weigh the answers and buy the scope you think will work the best for you. Drop me a note if I can help answer any Nikon question's for you.