Appleseed Marksmanship Clinics

Guest Broomhead

If you have the opportunity and means to attend one of these clinics, I highly recommend doing so. They are well worth the time and money. The concepts they teach are time-tested, proven methods, are easy to understand yet challenging to put into use, and can be carried over to other aspects of shooting. The history lessons they teach are presented as stories told with passion, they are very enticing and fun to listen to.

I earned my Riflemans' patch at my first clinic, attended a few more, and became an instructor, all back in 2010-2011. I have since stepped down as an instructor due to my chronic back issues preventing me from handling the physical aspects of instructing. I haven't had the means to attend another clinic lately, but it is something I really want to go back to. I need to brush up my skills, I'm getting rusty. Besides, I really want to take my 8yr-old daughter so she can learn to shoot better. She's already a crack-shot, but there is always room for improvement.

For those worried about it being political, when I was instructing discussion of current politics were strictly forbidden. Only politics from the events that led up to and during the Revolutionary War were allowed. The closest they come to discussing modern day politics is to urge you to turn off your TV, computer, etc, get off your butt, learn about what's going on around you, and get involved.

Here is a link to their website so you can read up on them, http://www.appleseedinfo.org/index.html

Edited by Broomhead
Guest Broomhead

Are these predominately for younger people?

EDIT: By younger people, I mean teens and pre-teens.  I'm not an over 50, old geezer like most of you guys.  :stir:

They are open to all ages. I have been to shoots with 8yr-olds on the firing line and heard of shoots with 90yr-olds popping targets. There is a wide demographic at each shoot, 20-somethings, 30-somethings, over-the-hill types, etc. The instruction is aimed towards those who have some knowledge of shooting, with more individual help for those who are newer.

The Shoot Boss for Tennessee Appleseed has been attempting to locate a host range in East Tennessee  but hasn't had much luck yet.

Have they tried the Oak Ridge Sportsman's Association?  They have a great 1000 yard range.  I would think they would be all about one of these. I guess I can contact someone there and see.

EDIT: OK, I just sent them an email.  I'll keep people posted about the response. 

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

Have they tried the Oak Ridge Sportsman's Association?  They have a great 1000 yard range.  I would think they would be all about one of these. I guess I can contact someone there and see.

EDIT: OK, I just sent them an email.  I'll keep people posted about the response. 

I'm fairly certain he's talked to ORSA but I think they wanted participants to be members.

An Appleseed event is best on a range with 25 or more firing points so more courses of fire can be accomplished and more Riflemen can be made. The range distance is 25 meters but longer ranges are cool too.

Here's information on hosting an event: How to Host and Appleseed

Here is the response I received from ORSA:

We've had someone come to the board a year or so ago to present the idea of doing an Appleseed class at orsa.  My recollection is that at that presentation they were asked to bring more info back to the board & they didn't make to make that 2nd presentation.   It's been a couple years since that happened & there's been changes on the board.     If you want to come and make a presentation for it - you're welcome to schedule coming to the board to make a presentation.  One of the items that the board requested to bring back was a lesson plan for the event.

As with any shooting course/class  that charges a fee - all money goes to orsa - being non-profit that may factor into it.   Otherwise - if funds go to a project/organization then it would be an inquiry to range rental.

So based on that, the issue was that the coordinator failed to follow-up and clarify questions that the ORSA board had.  Perhaps I am reading into it too much, but my sense from that email is that people were annoyed with the lack of follow-up.  I'm not sure if it would be worth another crack at it or not.  

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

I'd think it would 'Absolutely' be worth another shot. I'd first go direct to the upper echelon of Appleseed, show them what you have, and get any/all support documentation you might need from them. Then go back to ORSA and 'present'.  I think you'd also want to ask ORSA if they would give a rental rate deduction to Appleseed as a 501[c]3 non-profit.

As an aside, ask if the local Chamber of Commerce would be willing to advertise/mention the event in their publications.

That's how I found out about the shoot in Manchester [and therefore Puryear]. (Monteagle CoC)

Edited by CelticRoots
  • 1 month later...

I wish I could, but where the heck is some one supposed to find 500 rnds of ammo?

Photoguy, the word that came back to me from the Shoot Boss is that we probably will be shooting less than 500 rds due to the ammo shortage. Though, I suppose, if you've got' em - you can shoot 'em. They definitely will cater the event to supplies available.

That said - If you really want to come (and can make it for Saturday, Sunday, or both) I will/can bring some extra .22 ammo from my stock. Will sell at my cost, for shooting at this event only.

Dress warmly, bring raingear! It ain't spring yet!!!

BTW: I'm one of those 'over-the-hill' guys. But I still get out and play in the mud! (I just bitch about it so it doesn't hurt so bad)

Edited by CelticRoots
  • Like 1

OK! Just a status report.

I had a great!  :up: time this last weekend. Weather coulda been a LOT worse. Great people, good lessons, well worth the drive.

Manchester (Arnold Range) is sold out for April, June and on still open for registration, lots in the neighboring states in April and May too.

If the ammo situation still hasn't improved too much, don't worry. They'll cater the shooting to supply available individually. I think we only shot about 350 - 400 rounds over the two days. Weather did eliminate one (or more?) of the fun shoots at the end of Sunday though. I heard something about a couch and TV target  :stunned: ...

Get on out to one of these shoots. You will not regret it!! 

:usa: 

I have attended several Appleseeds.  Great value for the training.  I even set up a table at a gun show several years ago to promote them.  They teach the history of the beginning of the Revolutionary War as well as practical rifle marksmanship.  

There were a few Appleseeds a few years ago in East Tn.  A couple near Kingston and one between Knoxville and Maynardville.  I don't know why those places quit hosting.  I earned my Rifleman patch at one of those.  Unfortunately, I haven't been keeping up with the Appleseed Project lately.

Will

• 1 month later...

ttocswab, I'll be there as a shooter this go-round. I'll start exercising my newly gotten orange hat at another shoot soon.

Lowpower, the cost is not at all steep when you consider all that can be gained by attending one (or more) of these shoots. You will not only hone your skills as a rifleman, but you will learn some very important history of how our country came to be, and the principles that drove ordinary British citizens, who happened to have been self-governing for their entire time on these shores, to stand against the government that was about to turn them into slaves of an overbearing monarchy.

The $80 two-day fee, or $50 single-day, is a small price to pay.

Loon160T, very happy to make your acquaintance,

CelticRoots (aka: crankybones) 

No offense Celtic but paying $50 or $80 for a history lesson I learned in school 45 years ago is just another way to make money.

and...forefathers volunteered their services. It was not a money making proposition.

I disagree with the premise as just being another way to take ones money.

It is my opinion which has about as much value as the cost of these shoots.

Lp

ttocswab, I'll be there as a shooter this go-round. I'll start exercising my newly gotten orange hat at another shoot soon.

Lowpower, the cost is not at all steep when you consider all that can be gained by attending one (or more) of these shoots. You will not only hone your skills as a rifleman, but you will learn some very important history of how our country came to be, and the principles that drove ordinary British citizens, who happened to have been self-governing for their entire time on these shores, to stand against the government that was about to turn them into slaves of an overbearing monarchy.

The $80 two-day fee, or $50 single-day, is a small price to pay.

Loon160T, very happy to make your acquaintance,

CelticRoots (aka: crankybones)