American-Made Scope Recommendations.

This is, for lack of better wording, a sequel to a thread I started earlier this week: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/60641-bolt-action-30-06-recommendations/

I'm still really fresh to firearm stuff. Not really sure what I need to be looking for in a quality scope. Things that may or may not matter for narrowing this down:

-I'm looking for American-made as an important preference. Leupold is a brand I have been looking into for a scope at this time. :usa:

-Not sure how important eye relief is in a scope. I am near-sighted and wear corrective-lenses at the range and when driving. :cool:

-Forecasted budget of $300-750. :surrender:

I'm not really looking for someone to pick a scope out for this, but rather if anyone has really good info on what to look for, what is important, opportunity costs, etc. I know very little about scopes and am willing to learn a lot. :up:

Looking to make this purchase sometime in April unless I can get a really lucky like I did with the rifle. :panic:

Guest Xmidnite_riderX

good luck with getting an answer around here to a question about anything from someone new, i asked about a scope 5 days ago and still have to get an answer or even laugh

but to answer your question, i am either going to go with a Millet or a SWFA,(USA Made)

here is a link to SWFA http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-MOA-Scopes-C4226.aspx

good luck with making a choice there is awhole lotta info and reviews to read thru before making a scope choice

Xmidnite_RiderX

Edited by Xmidnite_riderX

look into vortex scopes. one of the members here recomended these to me and i really like the one i bought. have one of the best warrenties ive seen. my son liked mine well enough that he also bought a vortex.

Vortex Optics is
an American and Veteran owned company located in Middleton, WI. They designicon1.png and
engineer products in their Middleton facility

Read more: Where are Vortex
Optics made? | Answerbag
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2135790#ixzz2L1RRBBbl

Edited by glock55
So a lot of factors go into this what will you be putting it on rifle hand gun ? Type of rifle or handgun , What caliber? For the range or deer hunting ? Long range shooting maybe ? Type of magnifications ,do you want bdc or Mildot ? You need to give more info and I'm sure every one will give you their thoughts .
  • Like 2

but to answer your question, i am either going to go with a Millet or a SWFA,(USA Made)

They look promising. I saw at least one with 4" eye relief.

look into vortex scopes. one of the members here recomended these to me and i really like the one i bought. have one of the best warrenties ive seen. my son liked mine well enough that he also bought a vortex.

Vortex Optics is
an American and Veteran owned company located in Middleton, WI. They designicon1.png and
engineer products in their Middleton facility

Read more: Where are Vortex
Optics made? | Answerbag
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2135790#ixzz2L1RRBBbl

I'll look into some, but where they are made in several different countries, it will be iffy for me.

So a lot of factors go into this what will you be putting it on rifle hand gun ? Type of rifle or handgun , What caliber? For the range or deer hunting ? Long range shooting maybe ? Type of magnifications ,do you want bdc or Mildot ? You need to give more info and I'm sure every one will give you their thoughts .

*Ruger American Rifle; 30-06 springfield

*Most range, but I wouln't mind hunting as a possibility.

*Don't know how long range. Possible 300-1000 meters depending on how far out the rifle will reach...

*Not sure on Magnification either. I'd like variable. Maybe 3-9x or 4-12?!? :shrug:

*Mil Dot is the reticule I've been looking at.

good luck with getting an answer around here to a question about anything from someone new, i asked about a scope 5 days ago and still have to get an answer or even laugh

good luck with making a choice there is awhole lotta info and reviews to read thru before making a scope choice

Xmidnite_RiderX

You probably didn't get a response because no one saw the thread. sometimes things move at a fast pace, sometimes not.

If you're new, welcome! Try to be polite and be patient and you will get some good answers. Got nothing to do with being new.

In that price range I would stick with Leupold. I have a couple of Leupolds and they are excellent. I went up North to shoot one of my new bolt action rifles a couple of months ago and had a cheap scope that had good reviews. I was so pizzed… I wasted my time and money.

For target shooting (beyond 300 yards) you need magnification. You can get a VX-2, 6-18x40 for around $500 or a VX-3, 6.5-20-40 for around $700. If you hunt you might want to go VX-I, 3-9X40 for around $200

I too buy American when I have that choice. I’m pretty sure NightForce is American also, but I think they start around $1300.

In 2010 I was interested in Vortex. I had read several posts that stated they were American Made; so I emailed them and ask. This is what they replied with then.

“We fully understand your feelings on this subject and are striving to provide a few made in the USA riflescopes with in the next couple of years, but like the
rest of the  made in the USA scopes out there they will be high dollar (est. $1500-$3000) ."

• Like 1

Well, you asked about a specific Millet scope model, so can presume that no one who has seen the thread has it, so couldn't comment, eh?

- OS

Xmidnite_RiderX

It has absolutely nothing to do with post count or anything else. Ever think that maybe no one owns that particular scope and that is why they did not respond?

As far as the scope recommendation you are going to have a hard time finding an American made scope capable of 1,000 yards with a mildot for your price range. Persoanlly I would not give up on some of the nicer foreign made models. Vortex makes some nice scopes.

Without a doubt get a mildot but I would also recommend making sure the adjustments are in mils as well. Makes making corrections "on the fly" easy.

Some Leupold products are made overseas so that is not a guarantee they are American made.

Dolomite

Xmidnite_RiderX

I didn't answer because you know more about scopes than I do!

Well, I do know that D&T Arms is an authorized dealer for Vortex. He is a good guy and is located in Goodlettsville (right across from Rivergate Mall). He is also a vendor here on TGO.

I have a 3-9 trijicon accupoint on an AR that's awesome. Ive shot steel plates at 100 yards at night with very little moon light easily. Granted they were painted white. The glass is very clear. I have the post reticle with the triangle, which is very fast for hunting but id prefer the mil dot for target shooting. These go about $699.