Any M1 Garand lovers here?

ShamGlock

I am thinking about picking one up. Mostly because it is one of the last guns I don't have that I really just want and they seem like they are getting harder to come by. Tell me everything I should know. I have been poking around on the CMP and their forum, but I thought I would tap into the wealth of knowledge here too. 

It's between ordering a service grade HRA from the CMP for 625 or buying a Winchester with a bayonet from a buddy of mine for 1300. What do you guys think?

Edited by ShamGlock

Yep, i love'em.

$1300 for the Winchester seems a little high unless it has a Winchester barrel (rare, expensive) and Winchester stock (expensive).

You're close enough to the CMP to just drive down there and see what they've got, but you can't make just one trip to the CMP...you'll find yourself going back again and again.

I would opt for the Service Grade HRA. If it is to be a shooter HRAs are noted for their build quality. All were post WW2 and had the advantage of less rushing and a bit better metallurgy. If you go the CMP route you might as well mail order currently since very few if any SGs reach the store due to the current onslaught of orders post madness. They do have the SG Specials on the store floor generally at this point.

Downside is the 30 to 60 day turnaround - more like 30 to 45 days than 60.
Guest summertime27

I picked up an International Harvester M1 Garand a couple of years ago when visiting a gun shop just killing time in a town I had never been to before!

so did you ever make your move?

Nothing wrong with the service grade H and R for 625.   My guess is it has a good barrel and muzzle.  Probably never saw battle action.  IIRC they were from shortly after Korea.  Might have a WW2 stock, you never know.

I've never shot one, but would love to have one. I remember my dad talking about lugging that big brute around during WWII. Super accurate and couldn't kill it with a sledgehammer. I also remember him telling of how he loved the way it would almost take your thumb off loading it. (LOL)

so did you ever make your move?

Nothing wrong with the service grade H and R for 625.   My guess is it has a good barrel and muzzle.  Probably never saw battle action.  IIRC they were from shortly after Korea.  Might have a WW2 stock, you never know.

I sent the paperwork in yesterday. Went with the H&R after the SA Specials sold out. I decided it was time to get off the fence and get one in before those were gone too. Now I've got two months to start stockpiling ammo until the rifle shows up!