Ruger 10/22 scope or red dot; what say ye?

glock55

Trying to decide on optics for a ruger 10/22 Walnut Mannlicher. Will use for target dueling tree and plinking. I am thinking about a red dot as opposed to a scope. I have a Simmons scope I could put on it but just wondered if anyone has used a red dot on a 10/22. Your thoughts appreciated.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest USMC 2013

Red Dots are very limiting for precision varminting.  A good 4x fixed power scope will give you the best bang for the buck, and more importantly, give you the biggest advantage.  Just my opinion though, but I base it off of 25+ years of chasing varmits with a rimfire configured every which way imaginable.

Joe

I say scope. Red dot would be faster plinking at close range any thing over 25yards the dot covers up to much for me. So only using it close range plinking think the red dot would give you the advantage. Over 25 yards you will be better off with a scope. Just my experience your mileage may vary.

Jason

scope it unless you are shooting at very short ranges (50 yards or less, more suited for pistols?).  To even get decent performance at 50 you need a pricy red dot with a smaller blip. 

For a dueling tree at short ranges (???) a red dot would be ideal.  

Edited by Jonnin

Try this dot it has a nice 3 MOA dot and is pretty crisp. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/459296/millett-compact-red-dot-sight-1-tube-1x-3-moa-dot-with-weaver-style-rings-matte

Mine is on a 10/22 on long term loan to some folks who live out in the country.  Frankly, the best dot I have used on 10/22 is a C-More (wish I would have kept that rig).  C-More gives you real nice two eyes open and fast at 50 yards on golf balls.  Here are the dots I have had on 10/22s: Matchdot Ultra Dot, Aimpoint Comp 3, Aimpoint Micro, cheapo BSA, Millet, C-More, Mueller Quik Shot halo, Sig halo,, cheapo halo and probably one or two more.  

Two best scopes I have had on carbine length 16-18.5" 10/22s are the Weaver 2-7x28 or the Nikon Nikoplex 2-7x32.  I like the Weavers small size with clear enough glass but really like the turrets on the Nikon P22.

If it were me and I had one gun and a budget I would try and squeeze out a Weaver 2-7 and then get a cheap BSA red dot.  The BSA does what it needs to do for fun shooting 10-50 yards for minute of golf ball, while the Weaver will let you go out to a 100 yards in decent light, while giving you good accuracy closer in.   

Here is my Mannlicher in its current incarnation: Tactical Machining receiver, Nikon P22 Nikoplex scope, Green Mountain Running Boar barrel, Kidd trigger group in a Ruger polymer housing, Ruger Mannlicher with the last inch cut off.  I opened up the channel to free float the barrel and cut the last inch off after trying to modify the metal end cap, imbedded nut and stock, They impeded a free float no matter what I did.  Cut the end of the stock off.  I might taper the fore end someday - maybe.

RBMannlicher_zps92c80e8b.jpg

Edited by graycrait
Guest 5Legion

I have a fixed 4x Nikon rimfire scope on mine - it's perfect.  Zero'd at 50 yds and easy KY windage from that.  I really like the Nikon scope, was a little more than a cheapie but worth it on a "keeper".