Yelled at a lady this morning.

LI0NSFAN

EXCELLENT story. I am also applauding you as I write this.

When my son was younger, he and I used to love inline skating. I would take him to the park and we would have a great time, making sure to wear safety gear. One day we went to a local park that had a paved track, and he asked me if he had to wear his helmet since he saw several others without them. SInce his skill level was advanced, I said OK, as long as he wasn't trying fancy tricks and showing off. We happened to pass two ladies who were walking the other direction, and one of them glowered at him and said in a really nasty voice "WHERE'S YOUR HELMET???", to which he calmly said "It's in the car". Then she gave me a particularly nasty look, and said "HE NEEDS  A HELMET!!". I just stared at her and said "You should really mind your own business". She walked off in a huff with her companion and I just smiled at my son, and he smiled back at me, and we enjoyed the rest of our day.

• Like 2

I love handing my kid (3) my iPhone when we're standing in line.  They have so many good apps for ABCs and such.  We have similar apps for tracing letters (on the iPad) now that we're really getting into teaching him how to write.  I've gotten the looks for older folks when standing in line before, but I don't much care.  Eff them.  It is a great learning tool and it keeps them from getting bored and fidgety when Dad has other stuff to do... like shop.

Besides, it's more unnatural to stand a 3 year old in a stagnant line expecting him not to move and be quiet than it is to hand him an iPhone and play a learning game. 

People need to understand technology is here to stay and can be a great asset when raising kids. Our son was sat down in front of a computer in 1995, when he was 3, and I want to think it helped him. Kids are generally interested in technology so if it can be used to keep them learning I welcome it.

The problem is when parents use technology as a babysitter. That is when the kids learn their morals and values that are, in most cases, skewed.

Dolomite

• Like 4
Some people really amaze me.

A very beautiful female friend of mine who's in her mid-30's was recently diagnosed with cancer. She's lost her hair and had a lymph node removed from the side of her neck on Friday, leaving a rather large stitched incision.

Yesterday, while doing laundry at the shared laundry room in her apartment building, some woman in her early to mid-20's looked at her with a disgusted facial expression and said "couldn't you have covered your head and gross cut on your neck before coming out in public?"

Needless to say, my friend was extremely embarrassed and began crying as she ran back to her apartment in shame. She waited until her daughter came home and sent her to finish the laundry. Some people are stuck on stupid.

I am sure she was just going on her experiences- my Mother in Law parks her now 6 yrs old in front the TV and Ipad all the time. She does this to avoid dealing with her. She is mid-40's bty.

Dont be offended,  people only know what they know- and she doesnt know to keep her month shut.  far to common

I love handing my kid (3) my iPhone when we're standing in line.  They have so many good apps for ABCs and such.  We have similar apps for tracing letters (on the iPad) now that we're really getting into teaching him how to write.  I've gotten the looks for older folks when standing in line before, but I don't much care.  Eff them.  It is a great learning tool and it keeps them from getting bored and fidgety when Dad has other stuff to do... like shop.

Besides, it's more unnatural to stand a 3 year old in a stagnant line expecting him not to move and be quiet than it is to hand him an iPhone and play a learning game. 

I love using technology to help me teach my kids. We use flash cards, and chalk boards at home but when out the Ipad come in handy.

Good for you.

I'll never understand how people think technology is non benificial for developing children. If anything it's a huge advantage. It's not the same as mindless television and video games. Most times even cartoons have lessons to learn and skills to develope, like Dora, Manny an other such characters. We also live in a "I must correct you" society. Even if she feels that you are wrong what gives her the idea anyone wants to hear it?

People need to understand technology is here to stay and can be a great asset when raising kids. Our son was sat down in front of a computer in 1995, when he was 3, and I want to think it helped him. Kids are generally interested in technology so if it can be used to keep them learning I welcome it.

Dolomite

I completely agree. I would rather have them learning on the Ipad than watching tv all day. We do try to keep an even balance so as soon as it gets warm outside again we will start up our Tech free days. We do not play with phones, ipads or watch TV or get on the computers on 3 days of the week.We can listen to the radio but thats pretty much it. The days change every week but 3 days are a tech blackout.

Edited by STAHDKnoxville

I was making a quick run to the store today. I am a stay at home dad, so it means I had my 2 little ones with me. My daughter (2yo) was using an IPad to trace her ABC's. My son (1yo) was playing a matching game on my phone. They both were being very good and causing no problems at all. A lady, probably in her 40's, felt the need to give me a parenting lesson right there in the produce section. She let me know that sticking them in front of an electronic device was no better than not parenting at all. She continued to tell me that my style of parenting is what is wrong with this world. She also stated that if this is how I parent that my kid would be better off in a single parent home. That was when I lost it and yelled, that is the first time I lost my cool in front of my kids. I never swore at her and never called her names, i just told her that my kids are happy, healthy, and well taken care of and that she needed to mind her own buisness. I should have stopped there, but I did not. I continued to tell her that my kids have more manners than she does an I would not be surprised if they were smarter than her. As she stood there in shock, I told my kids to say good bye and started to push the cart away. Both my kids said good bye and waved. What happened next surprised me, 5-6 moms in the area started clapping, apparently they even heard what she said to me. I get comments about my parenting all the time from strangers all the time. I don't understand why people feel the need to give dads advice. I have seen moms blow cigarette smoke in a kids face without a peep from anyone, but tell me that I need to make sure that my kids are wearing hats even though it is 60+ degrees out. All the advice is followed by them telling my kids that it is ok that daddy didn't know.

You weren't yelling at a LADY. You were yelling at a meddling b*tch. That's always all right.

Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 6

A very beautiful female friend of mine who's in her mid-30's was recently diagnosed with cancer. She's lost her hair and had a lymph node removed from the side of her neck on Friday, leaving a rather large stitched incision.

Yesterday, while doing laundry at the shared laundry room in her apartment building, some woman in her early to mid-20's looked at her with a disgusted facial expression and said "couldn't you have covered your head and gross cut on your neck before coming out in public?"

Needless to say, my friend was extremely embarrassed and began crying as she ran back to her apartment in shame. She waited until her daughter came home and sent her to finish the laundry. Some people are stuck on stupid.

Some people just can't be allowed in public. I sincerely wish I could have been there to give this person a talking to. I've been bald 3 times from chemo and understand that some people just can't seem to keep their mouths shut and must make stupid comments to make themselves feel better when conforted with something out of the norm. Unlike your friend though, my surgical scars are on my stomach and chest, and were almost always covered during treatment. I guess the worst comments I got were from insentive family and friends. Almost have to forgive and overlook them, but for a person out in a public area to comment like that is just not to be understood.

• Like 1

School me on these apps...   seems I need them.  And probably a tablet.

I have ABC lite and ABC train on my iPhone, which are good for out and about in public.  Unlike the OP, I am not brave enough to take the iPad out of the house; my kids would figure out how to break it.  My wife has about a dozen apps on her iPad which do phonics, letter tracing, ABCs and numbers.  In fact, we used the iPad to teach him the alphabet when he was only 18 months.  It was a more fun and interactive way for him than using the flash cards.  It's also been a big deal in his ability to count.  We used a few bed time books to teach him numbers, then we started using the iPad and he picked up the higher ones much easier (above 20).  I'm guessing because it's interactive and he controls the pace; it makes it more fun somehow.

• Like 1

I have ABC lite and ABC train on my iPhone, which are good for out and about in public.  Unlike the OP, I am not brave enough to take the iPad out of the house; my kids would figure out how to break it.  My wife has about a dozen apps on her iPad which do phonics, letter tracing, ABCs and numbers.  In fact, we used the iPad to teach him the alphabet when he was only 18 months.  It was a more fun and interactive way for him than using the flash cards.  It's also been a big deal in his ability to count.  We used a few bed time books to teach him numbers, then we started using the iPad and he picked up the higher ones much easier (above 20).  I'm guessing because it's interactive and he controls the pace; it makes it more fun somehow.

+1

Our daughter mastered her ABC's at about 18mo as well thanks to a couple different games. The only issue I have found is that she was able to get in and out of apps with ease. That meant if it was not the game she wanted to play she got out and found the one she wanted. @ 2yo she could use the Ipad better than me. She walks around taking pics and has posted several to facebook. So now I have to change settings before she gets it, so she cant do certain things.

We got the case for the Ipad that pretty much protects it from drops.   http://www.amazon.com/M-Edge-Cases-Supershell-Case-iPad-PD3-SH1-N-GNW/dp/B007YSA8YE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1361202266&sr=8-4&keywords=ipad+case+for+kids

I am somewhat embarrassed for my generation after hearing that. I know it's cliche to say this but that would have had a far different ending had I been there. That just really disgusts me.....

+1

Our daughter mastered her ABC's at about 18mo as well thanks to a couple different games. The only issue I have found is that she was able to get in and out of apps with ease. That meant if it was not the game she wanted to play she got out and found the one she wanted. @ 2yo she could use the Ipad better than me. She walks around taking pics and has posted several to facebook. So now I have to change settings before she gets it, so she cant do certain things.

We got the case for the Ipad that pretty much protects it from drops.   http://www.amazon.com/M-Edge-Cases-Supershell-Case-iPad-PD3-SH1-N-GNW/dp/B007YSA8YE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1361202266&sr=8-4&keywords=ipad+case+for+kids

Whoa, that case  is awesome for kids.  I got the iPad for my wife, so it has the pink girlie case on it which does not protect from babies and toddlers outside of the cushy couch area.  It is amazing how quick they pick this stuff up.  My daughter figured out (on her own mind you) how to unlock my iPhone before she was 12 months.  I thought it was by accident until I saw her do it again the same day.  I do wish there was a way to lock the device from exiting an app somehow.

• Like 1

This post / story isn't about technology (although I do agree with your opinions on the matter) ... it's about some b***h at the grocery store who deserved everything you gave to her and more. 

I applaud your response and make note that you have balls bigger than any melon in that produce section ...  :cheers:

• Like 1

We are a technologically advanced family. Like most these days.

I didn't have video game systems as a kid, I wasn't allowed to have a television in my room. We had one television, that only got one channel. I spent all my time in the woods, or reading books.

My father has always had computers, since the late 70's. As such, I was introduced to them at an early age. Schools always had the Apple II and variants growing up. I mastered DOS well before highschool. I went to college for Computer and Electronic Engineering. It is here to stay folks.

When my daughter was around 18mo or so, she was playing with a spare computer monitor that was temporarily placed in the floor. She found the power button. Immediately she went for the television, found the same button and turned the television on. That was the end of it. I built her a dedicated computer within days. So my daughter has had her own dedicated computer since she was under two years old.

She knows how to use the phone. She knows how to watch fingers to learn the patterns to unlock the phones. She has mastered the XBOX, the Wii, the DVR, the DVD player, etc...

She is six years old. By the time she entered kindergarten, she had mastered the alphabet and counting to 100, by ones, tens and fives.

She is above grade level on all subjects, she is a model student.

In other words, we have a perfect six year old.

To the OP, you did right, and I wouldn't worry about how your kids turn out, or how ignorant Luddites view them. 

I have 4 small children, and itch to have a confrontation like you did.  I am always loaded for bear if someone wants to critique my parenting skills!  So far this has not happened.  I have almost had to pull my belt out a walmart with the kids just to start confrontation.  I am ready!

Beings I don't have kids of my own yet, I don't feel it any of my business to tell anyone how to raise theirs. I believe if we had the technology back when i and my brother were little, my mother would have paid anything to keep us entertained when she went to the store. Kudos to you OP, Letting that would be meddler have it. You showed restraint and still got your point across.