Joe Teti Knife

Guest MilitiaMan

Guest MilitiaMan

Anyone own this particular knife? He's the guy from the cable series "Dual Survival" on Discovery. The knife he carrys (a Surv Tac 7) on the show is his creation (so he says) and is sold exclusively on his website for $300.

I am thinking about buying one but would definitely like to hear of any advice on similar knives that would be a little less expensive.

Do you need it to have the saw teeth on the back?  Generally, you won't find those to be overly useful.  I would recommend a nice Becker or ESEE over this one.  TOPS is not a bad company so its most likely a nice quality product.  But the design just isn't for me.  

Just like Bear Grills and  all the others that have some sort of program.. They all peddle their wares for their names... Not sure if that knife is worth 300  bucks but I bet if it was manufactured somewhere else under a different name it would nto be that much..

Same thing happends in the horse world.. Parelli and Anderson and a few others have all the same halters and flags and stuff but its so much more expensive because its bears their name and they use it...

If I were contemplating on spending $300 on a large fixed blade, I would seriously consider looking at the Chris Reeve Pacific or Green Beret.  I own both and they are fantastic blades.  Another option could be a Busse.

If I were contemplating on spending $300 on a large fixed blade, I would seriously consider looking at the Chris Reeve Pacific or Green Beret.  I own both and they are fantastic blades.  Another option could be a Busse.

I second this. I don't think I'd drop $300 on a knife with anyone's name on it unless they made it. ESEE makes a great knife with the same 1095 steel for a lot less money. I'm personally a Busse fan and don't believe that you can buy a better semi-custom fixed blade knife for the money.

I am not familiar with the Surv Tac 7 however one of my favorite "hard-use" knives is a Scrapyard Scrapper 5, it is one of the combat grade w/an SR101 blade, Scrapyard knives which along with Swamp Rat knives are both sister company's of Busse knives.

I first fell in love with the Scrapper 5's Neoprene-C "mudder" handle, it has a ton of grip to it, even if it is wet or bloody from butchering game, the knife stays put & doesn't slide around in my hand at all.

As a bonus the "mudder" handle material is soft & the contour of the handle is comfortable enough to use all day without blistering, huge selling points IMHO because how a knife fits my hand is a much higher priority to me than what sort of steel alloy the blade is made from.

Speaking of the blade, as the 5 in it's name suggests is 5" in length, it is made out of powder coated SR101 steel which can be sharpened skeeery sharp, has fantastic edge retention & is extremely tough, not only can it easily withstand batoning, prying, can-opening, etc, the skeeery sharp edge doesn't roll or micro-chip without being really abused (think hammer + cinderblock sort of abuse), all of this PLUS it is still relatively easy to resharpen.

However there are two down sides of SR101 those are that A.) it is moderately expensive & B.) that it will stain/rust if it is not cleaned & either lightly oiled or ran across some wax after you are finished using it.

Anyway I do appologize I know that you were asking about the Surv Tac 7 but the more & more that I use my Scrapyard, the more & more I like it, just today I was using it to cut through the exhaust hangerstraps on my truck because the bolts were rusted/frozen, & that knife it went through them like butter, I've had a big grin on my face all afternoon because of that LOL.

I am not familiar with the Surv Tac 7 however one of my favorite "hard-use" knives is a Scrapyard Scrapper 5, it is one of the combat grade w/an SR101 blade, Scrapyard knives which along with Swamp Rat knives are both sister company's of Busse knives.

I first fell in love with the Scrapper 5's Neoprene-C "mudder" handle, it has a ton of grip to it, even if it is wet or bloody from butchering game, the knife stays put & doesn't slide around in my hand at all.

As a bonus the "mudder" handle material is soft & the contour of the handle is comfortable enough to use all day without blistering, huge selling points IMHO because how a knife fits my hand is a much higher priority to me than what sort of steel alloy the blade is made from.

Speaking of the blade, as the 5 in it's name suggests is 5" in length, it is made out of powder coated SR101 steel which can be sharpened skeeery sharp, has fantastic edge retention & is extremely tough, not only can it easily withstand batoning, prying, can-opening, etc, the skeeery sharp edge doesn't roll or micro-chip without being really abused (think hammer + cinderblock sort of abuse), all of this PLUS it is still relatively easy to resharpen.

However there are two down sides of SR101 those are that A.) it is moderately expensive & B.) that it will stain/rust if it is not cleaned & either lightly oiled or ran across some wax after you are finished using it.

Anyway I do appologize I know that you were asking about the Surv Tac 7 but the more & more that I use my Scrapyard, the more & more I like it, just today I was using it to cut through the exhaust hangerstraps on my truck because the bolts were rusted/frozen, & that knife it went through them like butter, I've had a big grin on my face all afternoon because of that LOL.

Scrapyard makes a great knife, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Guest Bowdenknxvll

Man, skip that knife and go with one of the suggestions above.  Any knife from Esee, Becker, Scrapyard, or even Tops will be a better knife at much less money.  If you need a saw, buy a folding saw from Silky.  The best saws out there IMO. All the knives have their issues but all are outstanding values.  Crap, I forgot Fallkniven too. 

Guest Bowdenknxvll

Like mentioned above, for that amount of money you could get a custom made.  Im biased obviously but Ive found that customs or semicustoms have much more comfortable handles.  There are exceptions, like Busse and BHK and BarkRiver,  which have very comfortable handles.  Production knives have less contouring so they will fit the masses, it doesn't make them any less of a knife however.

Guest MilitiaMan

Thank you for all of the advice and opinions. And thank you TnShooter83. It never even occured to me to look for the same knife without the "name brand".

Now, my last question on this particular knife (Surv-Tac 7). As a survival/tactical knife, does anyone think it is any good? I'm talking in terms of the blade composition, handle composition etc.

What I'm looking for is a long knife to 1. wear on my thigh or 2. wear inverted on my tac vest. If that helps to help me decide if this is the knife to suit my needs/wants.

Thank you for all of the advice and opinions. And thank you TnShooter83. It never even occured to me to look for the same knife without the "name brand".

Now, my last question on this particular knife (Surv-Tac 7). As a survival/tactical knife, does anyone think it is any good? I'm talking in terms of the blade composition, handle composition etc.

What I'm looking for is a long knife to 1. wear on my thigh or 2. wear inverted on my tac vest. If that helps to help me decide if this is the knife to suit my needs/wants.

Just my opinion, I think you can get a better knife for the same price. If you want a blade in the 6-7" range you can get a Scrapyard 711 for $45 less or a Swamp Rat Rodent 6 for $35 less. Either is a superior knife IMHO. As a note, the money you save on the blade you will have to spend on a sheath. I'd recommend a Spec Ops Combat Master sheath for about $45.

Guest MilitiaMan

Just my opinion, I think you can get a better knife for the same price. If you want a blade in the 6-7" range you can get a Scrapyard 711 for $45 less or a Swamp Rat Rodent 6 for $35 less. Either is a superior knife IMHO. As a note, the money you save on the blade you will have to spend on a sheath. I'd recommend a Spec Ops Combat Master sheath for about $45.

Will look into both, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Pacific or Nyala will be my next one although I am leaning towards the Pacific more.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't leave the Neil Roberts Warrior or Green Beret out of consideration.  The Warrior has been discontinued, but they can still be had. 

img2011121400533.jpg

Out of all the CR fixed blades, either the Professional Soldier or Ubejane Skinner is my favorite.

img2011122700597.jpg