Trading Post, "Auctions"

IMHO, David, you need to add one more clarifying rule regarding selling: if offering for cash, price must be stated.

Seeing too many "make me a cash offer" ads. Even in threads that are listed as "trade", some devolve into that. These are de facto auctions when it gets to that point.

Maybe a small nit, but now and then I see something I want, but I don't think it's the intent of the forum to have to "bid" by sending multiple PMs to try and score it.

- OS

• Like 4

I agree with that one, I also think a lot of the recent issues in the Classifieds could be resolved by the posters just simply reading the rules.

Not that anyone asked my opinion but I'd also like to see a rule that you have to post a picture of the actual item for sale. A link to the manufacturer's page doesn't cut it when you're trying to sell or buy a firearm.

• Administrator

I'll take the first matter under advisement but the requirement that an item have a picture is not one we can readily enforce nor is it one you really want us to impose.  There are a lot of gun owners on TGO who simply don't have the equipment, the know-how, or both, to post a picture of every single thing they offer up for sale.  Yes it's the year 2013 and yes half the planet seems to have grown up on the Internet, but the is the other half that still struggles with how to link a picture or how to upload a picture or how to even take a picture.

That request is one I'll have to decline for the time being.

• Like 1

I think the whole "auction" atmosphere has been brought on by the current market. I suspect some people are too embarrassed to openly gouge, while others are simply seeking the most desperate person to come along.

All the more reason to nuke the practice. If you're ashamed of publishing the price, then don't post.  There is no longer a "gouging rule" here, and I might even pay a "gouged" price, as that's certainly a subjective concept, but I simply want to know what that damn price is, to keep from wasting both my and the seller's time, and whatever extra incremental TGO bandwidth it uses.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Since I've seen a mod or two jump into a Trading Post thread in the past and say, "you must list a price", I thought this was already a rule.

But re-reading the actual rules, I see it's not stated as such.

- OS

I thought it was a rule too. Not the first rule I've learned after YOU finally got around to reading them :)

• Like 1

All the more reason to nuke the practice. If you're ashamed of publishing the price, then don't post.  There is no longer a "gouging rule" here, and I might even pay a "gouged" price, as that's certainly a subjective concept, but I simply want to know what that damn price is, to keep from wasting both my and the seller's time, and whatever extra incremental TGO bandwidth it uses.

- OS

Unless you're extremely desperate, you can pretty well bet that responding to that person will be a waste of your time. Those of us who've been around here long enough can see the difference between classified ads of the past and many of those of the present.

• Like 1

I thought there was a rule regarding something like "for sale to the highest offer", so they skirt around that by posting something being "open to trade offers". Kinda the same, but not really. Just hoping they can turn a 6-month old $400 purchase into a current market $800 trade.

The one that recently got my goat started as trade, then became "make me a cash offer".

- OS

I honestly don't see the issue. If it says make me an offer, then send a cash offer if you want it, ignore it if you dont. I just traded a Ruger mini for a Sagia 12 and didnt post a cash price because I didn't want To sell it. I did put up that if someone wanted to make an offer, feel free. This is a bad market to buy and sell in, as a fair price can be hard to decide on, but trades between fair knowledgeable people are still a fair way to do business. I guess I just don't see a point in requring a price, especially if its a trade item.

Offering to sell it outright has nothing to do with trading, eh?

- OS

No your correct. And if your reffering to my ad, after some thought and research I posted a price, I had added the make me an offer because I honestly didn't know what to charge at the time. I still don't see a point in requrring a price. Like I said if its something you want, why not make an offer? If you require a price it'll only make people do what they do on craigslist, post it stupidly high to deal with low ballers. Edited by Spots
This is also happening in the FOR SALE example: 223 ammo for sale NO PRICE and a few bumps to the top stating price drop with again no price. I am temped to reply with a
$.50 offer for all. Since I don't have a use for that Ammo that is all it is worth to me!