My Get Home Bag

The purpose of this bag is to get me back home from work or school in Knoxville.  I figured I could post up pictures for ideas of things I missed

Here's a map of my approx. route. 35 miles on the highway.

map.jpg

Here's my bag.

IMAG0175.jpg

Its a black hawk L.R.R.P. with a condor gp pouch attached and a Camillus Sk mountain knife.

And gear.

IMAG0176.jpg

Binoculars, 2 canteens, Headlamp, duct tape around a card, box of pistol ammo, and gloves go in the outside pouches.

In my Level 1 GP pouch I have a condor headwrap, a survival blanket, aqua mira filter straw, 2 snickers marathon bars, about 12ft of 550 cord, fire steel, mag block and knife, matches in water proof container, dental floss, cotton soaked in vasoline in an altoids tin, small single AA flashlight, bic lighter, and a card wrapped with duct tape and fishing line.

IMAG0177.jpg

In the main compartment I keep goretex pants, wool socks, fleece helmet liner, boonie hat, survival blanket, GPS, ziploc bag of tp and napkins and lighter, Adventure medical first aid kit, Lifeline ultralight survival kit, and a signal flare.

I added stainless scissors, water purification tablets, chapstick, and bug repellent to the first aid pouch,

IMAG0178.jpg

In the flap pouch I keep 550 cord, knife and multi-tool and roll of electrical tape.

Edited by tennessee01tacoma

Looks good. I keep a Maxpedition backpack in my vehicle and I built a bag for my GF's car as well. That looks like a really far walk so you may want to consider a slightly larger bag with at least 72 hours food and a way to purify water.

I still have an outside pouch open I was thinking about lifeboat rations and maybe stripped mre's, I have an aqua mira filter straw and purification tablets plus I always have another 32 oz stainless container in my truck, so that would be 3 quarts of water, I could carry, do I need more.

Edited by tennessee01tacoma
  • Like 1

I would consider a bag as well. I have that same butt pack and it's great but I would rather have something to sling over my shoulders. It would also give you a lot more room for something like a Camelbak/Platypus/similar. That would also solve your water issue.

I agree. During a long walk you're going to want comfortable shoulder straps. I had one of those Maxpedition gearslingers and ended up selling it. I went hiking with it and it was extremely uncomfortable. One strap does not distribute the weight evenly.

I would consider a bag as well. I have that same butt pack and it's great but I would rather have something to sling over my shoulders. It would also give you a lot more room for something like a Camelbak/Platypus/similar. That would also solve your water issue.

O, I forgot to mention I have straps on it so it works just like a backpack.

I have a larger pack with an internal frame and place for a water bladder that I'm working on too, but its too big for everyday

How much water should I carry? One thing about my route is there are some major water supplies along the way. Would a large canteen with its own strap be a better choice?

Oh well that makes it a bit better. I think they say a gallon a day for water but you wouldn't be carrying that much on your person. My personal bag has one of the larger Platypus bags in it, I'll have to look at see what it is when I get home. I think it's a 3 liter though, also given I don't fill it to that capacity.

Have you looked at the Maxpedition Vulture 3 Day Assault pack? I got one of those a while back and really like it.

Oh well that makes it a bit better. I think they say a gallon a day for water but you wouldn't be carrying that much on your person. My personal bag has one of the larger Platypus bags in it, I'll have to look at see what it is when I get home. I think it's a 3 liter though, also given I don't fill it to that capacity.

Have you looked at the Maxpedition Vulture 3 Day Assault pack? I got one of those a while back and really like it.

I'll take a look at it, I know my pack wouldn't be as comfortable as an actual pack but I'm more worried about assembling the right stuff and then I can find a bag that fits it all.

Well it looks like you have a pretty much complete kit. I'm just suggesting the bag on a comfort scale and a bit more storage. You could make it back with the one you have, but maybe not as comfortably. You're going by a lot of water apparently so you would probably be alright but I personally like to have some extra for any deviation I might have to make from my original route like getting stuck somewhere or having to stay put and not being able to get to water.

Well it looks like you have a pretty much complete kit. I'm just suggesting the bag on a comfort scale and a bit more storage. You could make it back with the one you have, but maybe not as comfortably. You're going by a lot of water apparently so you would probably be alright but I personally like to have some extra for any deviation I might have to make from my original route like getting stuck somewhere or having to stay put and not being able to get to water.

Understood, so more food and a more suitable pack with a bladder, seems like I'm almost there, I knew when I started that a butt pack wouldn't be ideal but it's what I had readily available. I will also add a couple contractor trash bags because they take up almost no room and have many uses. I now feel more confident that I could make it a couple nights with this pack once I add some food.

I might try to practice some this spring. I heat with wood so I feel my fire tending skills are pretty good, I don't start my fires with a torch or lighter fluid, usually just dryer lint and kindling. Edited by tennessee01tacoma

@ tennessee - nice kit.  I especially like the signal flare.  Here are some more things you might consider adding:

List of phone numbers of friends, relatives, police, etc.

Cash

Sunscreen

A comfy pair of boots, unless you always wear boots

Several maps in zip lock or other waterproof container

Extra TN HCP

Map of bus routes running in and around Oak Ridge and money/bus pass

I actually keep an extra OWB holster in my Get Home Bag.  I can still cover it easily with an untucked shirt, but it's more comfortable to walk around in than the IWB I usually wear.  Just ideas, though.  Your kit will certainly get the job done - and then some - as it is now.

35 miles on foot is a heck of a walk.  The first thing id suggest adding is a good set of hiking boots.  For a walk that long i would recommenda bag that goes on the shoulders to get more space and usually more comfortable carry.  Also something to consider is an alternate mode of travel.  There are a few folding bicycles that would fit in your trunk and turn that 2 day walk into a 3 hour bike ride

@ tennessee - nice kit. I especially like the signal flare. Here are some more things you might consider adding:

List of phone numbers of friends, relatives, police, etc.
Cash
Sunscreen
A comfy pair of boots, unless you always wear boots
Several maps in zip lock or other waterproof container
Extra TN HCP
Map of bus routes running in and around Oak Ridge and money/bus pass

I actually keep an extra OWB holster in my Get Home Bag. I can still cover it easily with an untucked shirt, but it's more comfortable to walk around in than the IWB I usually wear. Just ideas, though. Your kit will certainly get the job done - and then some - as it is now.

I have already thought about a spare comfy holster for my gun, need to find one.

I don't think oak ridge has any buses, Knoxville does but I'm headed away from there.

I have a truck so a bike would be out in the weather, but it's a great idea.

I usually wear tennis shoes so a pair of boots would be a good addition.

I always have my wallet on me I never leave it in my truck, so I'm not sure about the spare hcp(explain?).
Maps for sure do you know a good source?

Sunscreen would be good.

I'm thinking about putting a copy of several important documents and info in some way into my bag.

Great ideas and recommendations - Here is what I have stored in my external frame Large A.L.I.C.E. pack - I am looking at buying a new bag that is lighter - does anyone have any thoughts on the Gregory Whitney 95 Backpack - I saw it at Gander Mtn and it fits very well. It has the capacity that I want but I am unsure of its formidability in the rough.

ALICE pack with internal waterproof bag

Cammie blouse ripstop                                

Cammie trouser ripstop

Cammie boonie cover

Cold weather under armour top and bottom

2 - pairs heavy socks

1 - pair medium black socks

2 - t-shirts

3 - briefs

Large hiking towel microfiber

USMC scarf

USMC green hanky large

Wool balaclava, cammie/black reversible

KC Flex jeans lightweight

Toothbrush, toothpaste

2 - dental picks

Flint tool/striker

Whistle, screamer

Hand held chain saw

signal mirror

4 - Wet fire in tube

3 - 13 gallon trash bags

2 - boxes matches (250 per box)

Winter gloves, black

Nomex gloves

20 – chicken bouillon cubes in ziplock bag

Machete, Kukri

canvas bucket

10 protein bars

4 emergenC packets

Various spices, sugar

Headlight with spare batteries

Filet knife

Gerber LMFII

Leatherman

100’ paracord

"Separate survival kit – space blanket, magnifying glass,
snare, hand crank flashlight, whistle, compass, hooks, sinkers, fishing line, multi-use
pocket knife, small rope."

Wool blanket

Canteen with cup

2 – walkie talkies with spare batteries

Mini works water filter (2,000 liters)

2 – hand warmers, disposable

2 – foot warmers, disposable

Bota

Face paint

Sunblock

10 – 4” Zip ties

Small water proof roll bag