Cotton Balls 6
Vitalyte drink mix 2
Disposable razor 1
Scissors small 1
Led light small 1
Antibiotic/burn cream 1
Sunscreen 1

Dryer lint in ziplock

Great ideas and recommendations - Here is what I have stored in my external frame Large A.L.I.C.E. pack - I am looking at buying a new bag that is lighter - does anyone have any thoughts on the Gregory Whitney 95 Backpack - I saw it at Gander Mtn and it fits very well. It has the capacity that I want but I am unsure of its formidability in the rough.

ALICE pack with internal waterproof bag

Cammie blouse ripstop                                

Cammie trouser ripstop

Cammie boonie cover

Cold weather under armour top and bottom

2 - pairs heavy socks

1 - pair medium black socks

2 - t-shirts

3 - briefs

Large hiking towel microfiber

USMC scarf

USMC green hanky large

Wool balaclava, cammie/black reversible

KC Flex jeans lightweight

Toothbrush, toothpaste

2 - dental picks

Flint tool/striker

Whistle, screamer

Hand held chain saw

signal mirror

4 - Wet fire in tube

3 - 13 gallon trash bags

2 - boxes matches (250 per box)

Winter gloves, black

Nomex gloves

20 – chicken bouillon cubes in ziplock bag

Machete, Kukri

canvas bucket

10 protein bars

4 emergenC packets

Various spices, sugar

Headlight with spare batteries

Filet knife

Gerber LMFII

Leatherman

100’ paracord

"Separate survival kit – space blanket, magnifying glass,
snare, hand crank flashlight, whistle, compass, hooks, sinkers, fishing line, multi-use
pocket knife, small rope."

Wool blanket

Canteen with cup

2 – walkie talkies with spare batteries

Mini works water filter (2,000 liters)

2 – hand warmers, disposable

2 – foot warmers, disposable

Bota

Face paint

Sunblock

10 – 4” Zip ties

Small water proof roll bag

Small Sewing kit

Electrical tape

USMC poncho and liner

Ibuprofen, asprin, naproxen

Immodium AD

And I have a seperate first aid kit stored in a waterproof Cordura bag

Pocket Knife  1
Yellow light stick 1
Latex gloves  1
Magnesium firestarter 1
Wet fire  1
Handwarmers  4
Self-cling camo wrap 1
1"x3" band aid  7
1 3/4"x 4" band aid 6
3/4"x3" band aid 10
1 1/2"x3" knuckle band aid 4
1 3/4"x2" fingertip band aid 4
3"x3" sterile pad 2
Anti-Septic wipes 6
Insect wipes  4
Instant cold pack 1
Winter face stick 1
Benadryl  3
Footcare kit  1
3"x4" moleskin  1
3"x4" precut moleskin 1
Antiseptic towelettes 2
3/4"x3" band aid 3
3/8"x1 1/2" band aid 5
Waterproof matches 160
Zip ties black 12" 4
Shoe lace thick 4.5" 1
Blistex   1
EmergenC  3
Muscle relaxer 10mg 15
Ibuprofen 200mg  40
Dayquil caplets  8
Cough Drops  5
soap bar 1
Velcro straps 7" 3
Cliff bar 3
Tweezers 1
Pepto bismol chewable tabs 8
Qtips 20
Cotton Balls 6
Vitalyte drink mix 2
Disposable razor 1
Scissors small 1
Led light small 1
Antibiotic/burn cream 1
Sunscreen 1

Dryer lint in ziplock

Wow that's a lot of stuff.  That sounds more like a I'm not coming home bag, Just curious, how much does your pack weigh?  If I have to bug out back to home, I would have to travel 35+ miles on foot.  I'm not in the best physical condition but I'm improving slowly, I'm training for my first 5k so I've been doing 3.5 miles at the track at least 2 times a week.  After the 5k I plan on doing more hiking with with my pack to find out my pace and hopefully improve even more.

That is the long term bag - it weighs in at around 60lbs. I have three other bags of varying size and weight. They are all very similar, but of course not exact. I have extra ammo in the bags for whatever gun is attached to it. I also have a two piece Cold Steel blowgun with hunting darts. This is good for small game and it very light, accurate and powerful for what it is.

One thing I like to keep in mind when planning a route to where ever I am headed. You may have to stay off the main roads, you may have to walk thru difficult areas. If you are buggin out, there is a reason, and the main road can be blocked or a place where you dont want to walk.

That is the long term bag - it weighs in at around 60lbs. I have three other bags of varying size and weight. They are all very similar, but of course not exact. I have extra ammo in the bags for whatever gun is attached to it. I also have a two piece Cold Steel blowgun with hunting darts. This is good for small game and it very light, accurate and powerful for what it is.

One thing I like to keep in mind when planning a route to where ever I am headed. You may have to stay off the main roads, you may have to walk thru difficult areas. If you are buggin out, there is a reason, and the main road can be blocked or a place where you dont want to walk.

Great kit!

If things really get bad, my challenge will be getting through Oak Ridge, might even have to cross it at after dark because its more densely populated.  Once I get through Oak ridge it become more rural and I can stay on the outskirts and keep it covert.  Hard walking in some places sure, but I think even worse case scenario I could make it in 48 hours.

Thanks - I change my supplies when I find new applicable items. Such as unscented feminine pads and tampons to the first aid kit - they work extremely well for wounds.

Oak Ridge, yes....fun times indeed. I used to work out there - the green glow is disconcerting at night, but helpful :ugh:

Thanks - I change my supplies when I find new applicable items. Such as unscented feminine pads and tampons to the first aid kit - they work extremely well for wounds.

Oak Ridge, yes....fun times indeed. I used to work out there - the green glow is disconcerting at night, but helpful :ugh:

Ahh yes I'm familiar with the many uses of feminine products.

The only thing that will be on my side crossing through oak ridge Is the high concentration of anti-gunners.

Great kit!

If things really get bad, my challenge will be getting through Oak Ridge, might even have to cross it at after dark because its more densely populated.  Once I get through Oak ridge it become more rural and I can stay on the outskirts and keep it covert.  Hard walking in some places sure, but I think even worse case scenario I could make it in 48 hours.

If thinks get that bad, you will probably see me leaving Oak Ridge as well  actually I am going in a different direction but same idea.  Oak Ridge might be risky.

Need to pack, radiation pills for thyroid

Has anyone put any thought into buying a military style pack versus a hiking back. For example, a ALICE pack compared to a North Face.

I'm asking because a lot of people on other forums are going away from "tactical" packs due to the attention it might bring and I think they have a valid point. I originally dismissed this idea but I'm starting to agree. Military screams "gun" which will draw attention from police and others.

If I'm walking down the road with a Kelty or North Face back I feel I'm far less likely to draw attention to myself. Others argue the military type backpacks will be intimidating and keep the wolves away. That's a valid point but I think I'd rather be the gray man.

Now, if it's a real Mad Max scenario all bets are off and I'll be openly carrying a long gun so it won't matter what bag I have. But if it's a "get home" bag then I would postulate the first few days will be somewhat civil so I will want to blend in.

Thoughts?

Has anyone put any thought into buying a military style pack versus a hiking back. For example, a ALICE pack compared to a North Face.

I'm asking because a lot of people on other forums are going away from "tactical" packs due to the attention it might bring and I think they have a valid point. I originally dismissed this idea but I'm starting to agree. Military screams "gun" which will draw attention from police and others.

If I'm walking down the road with a Kelty or North Face back I feel I'm far less likely to draw attention to myself. Others argue the military type backpacks will be intimidating and keep the wolves away. That's a valid point but I think I'd rather be the gray man.

Now, if it's a real Mad Max scenario all bets are off and I'll be openly carrying a long gun so it won't matter what bag I have. But if it's a "get home" bag then I would postulate the first few days will be somewhat civil so I will want to blend in.

Thoughts?

Yep, I agree. I have a get-home bag in each vehicle. They are just regular (but comfy) backpacks of non-military/non-tactical appearance. My bug-out bags are different, but my get-home bags are plain looking.
Guys in the country pack camo gear. I do the same thing but for a different environment. If I have to use my get home bag, I've got to pass through some urban and suburban areas. Thus, my kit includes a pair of jeans, shirt, and ball cap instead of surplus gear. Same reason I chose my bag - a rinky dink backpack from Office Max. There's even a textbook next to it in my trunk.

When I walk by a stranger, he sees some kid walking home from class with a backpack full of books. He's forgotten me before I'm even out of shouting distance.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with military style stuff, because there's not. It just makes you stand out in my daily environment.

Thoughts?

While I do agree with your logic, I don't plan on using a non military style bag because I prefer the utility of the military style bags and in the situations that I'll need this bag anyone with any luggage will be targeted. If I'm on foot 35 miles from home then it's real bad like emp or invasion or marshal law type of situation.

Thoughts?

While I do agree with your logic, I don't plan on using a non military style bag because I prefer the utility of the military style bags and in the situations that I'll need this bag anyone with any luggage will be targeted. If I'm on foot 35 miles from home then it's real bad like emp or invasion or marshal law type of situation.

Nice kit, tennessee01tacoma.

I think I would add more food (Ramen noodles or something) if it were for me cause I don't like to be hungry :) I also keep a small tarp in all my bags in case I need a roof over my head.

I have that same first aid kit. Cool knife!

Ya I've definitely gotta do more food but I want something I don't necessarily have to stop and cook.

As for shelter I have a total of 3 space blankets, 2 adventure medical that are 60"x96" and one from the ultralight survival kit thats smaller, I was planning on using one of the bigger ones overhead and one underneath and the small one as a cover if needed.

If your talking about the camillus knife I just got it but I love it so far.
Guest Dragonman

Sponge or two for sopping up water (amongst other uses) when it's in hard to reach places or collecting morning dew on plant leafs, etc. Small, light weight, cheap, and doesn't take up much space.

I was traveling 74 miles 1 way to work for almost a year. I have kept a get home bag in my trunk for a couple of years. I'll take some pictures and inventory this weekend and share. I also keep an ammo can with spare mags, first aid, and additional food stuffs in the trunk. Along with a strap so it can be carried like a satchel. Spare clothes (jeans, jacket), hiking boots, wool socks, 3l of water, and a handheld gps. I have done 8 mile hikes while lugging everything I keep in the trunk. You may not think you have that much stuff but a couple miles hiking through the woods with no trails will quickly show you if your pack is too heavy.

If thinks get that bad, you will probably see me leaving Oak Ridge as well  actually I am going in a different direction but same idea.  Oak Ridge might be risky.

Need to pack, radiation pills for thyroid

Very true there Vontar - there are some natural herbs that can be used as well. I keep Sea Kelp pills in my kits too.

I have a tiered BUGOUT system, the "on foot" bags in that system are very simple & lightweight (15 lbs each), with just the essentials for travelling on foot for a few days, each has a spare pair of boots, a couple spare pairs of socks, skiviies, as well as "water resistant" pants, shirt & jacket, with a long heavy duty rain pancho that can be opened/hung up to serve as a mini-shelter if need be.

Tool wise there is a LED headlamp & small LED flash light in each, a multi-tool, a map & compass, a small first aid kit, a tinderbox, matches, etc, as well as a couple of liters of water & a couple days worth of high energy trial mix and a GMR/FRS two-way radio attached to each.

Granted these are nothing fancy as their sole purpose is to carry the basic essentials for a few days of hiking, so only point A to point B sort of stuff are packed in them.

The one thing that really sets these apart from other bags of this type are the "water resistant" clothing, not only is it super light weight, it packs down into very small package, it is made from "rip stop" & will keep you relatively dry even in a nasty downpour.

Stearns is the company who made the stuff that I use, but I am sure that there are other brands that would work just as well, it isn't exactly cheap but the weight/space savings alone is worth it, the water resistance is just a very nice bonus.
  • 3 weeks later...

one thing I have in my ghb with the first aid kit are a couple of mini pads....the right size one's tuck well in the bag pockets and make a great larger compression bandage not typically found in some first aid kits.  I used a maxi pad once to plug a kids head wound when in the mountains, it worked, he looked stupid, and yes he has vowed to kill me one day.   Just say in....

• Like 1

I don't worry too much about what my bag looks like.  I have a three day assault pack for my GHB in coyote brown.  The way I figure it, I'm only going to be using this thing in a SHTF situation, so I don't really care what or who I might intimidate or make uncomfortable. That being said, I have considered getting a commercial civilian stylebag, for the simple reason, that most of them are a lot more comfortable to carry than a military style bag, since they tend to have a much better waist belt that allows you to carry most of the weight on the hips, instead of the shoulders.

Personally, reading your all's list of contents, I think you all are carrying too much. I suggest, you take your GHB out for a weekend hike or even just a day hike with a gallon of water and all the food you think you will need to get home. Weigh your bag after it's packed, along with all your food and water.  I limit my weight to no more than 30 lbs total (less is best). A third of that weight will be my food and water (a gallon of water weights in at around 8 lbs). The pack itself will weight another 4 or 5 lbs usually. So I figure I have 15 lbs to use on shelter, a sleep system, FAK, a knife, cordage, dry socks, fire kit and misc. stuff that I think I need.

While you are out, make good notes of what was used and what was not.  When you get back re-evaluate your pack contents and I bet you will lose half that stuff.  Maybe you change your GHB to suit the season.  An example is a wool blanket.  That's good for winter, but you are carrying around 5 to 10 lbs of weight.  Maybe for the late spring, summer and early fall, you trade it out for a light weight fleece bag (about a lb). They also make some lightweight winter bags, that weigh less than a couple of lbs.

Edited by Moped
  • Like 1

I don't worry too much about what my bag looks like.  I have a three day assault pack for my GHB in coyote brown.  The way I figure it, I'm only going to be using this thing in a SHTF situation, so I don't really care what or who I might intimidate or make uncomfortable. That being said, I have considered getting a commercial civilian stylebag, for the simple reason, that most of them are a lot more comfortable to carry than a military style bag, since they tend to have a much better waist belt that allows you to carry most of the weight on the hips, instead of the shoulders.

Personally, reading your all's list of contents, I think you all are carrying too much. I suggest, you take your GHB out for a weekend hike or even just a day hike with a gallon of water and all the food you think you will need to get home. Weigh your bag after it's packed, along with all your food and water.  I limit my weight to no more than 30 lbs total (less is best). A third of that weight will be my food and water (a gallon of water weights in at around 8 lbs). The pack itself will weight another 4 or 5 lbs usually. So I figure I have 15 lbs to use on shelter, a sleep system, FAK, a knife, cordage, dry socks, fire kit and misc. stuff that I think I need.

While you are out, make good notes of what was used and what was not.  When you get back re-evaluate your pack contents and I bet you will lose half that stuff.  Maybe you change your GHB to suit the season.  An example is a wool blanket.  That's good for winter, but you are carrying around 5 to 10 lbs of weight.  Maybe for the late spring, summer and early fall, you trade it out for a light weight fleece bag (about a lb). They also make some lightweight winter bags, that weigh less than a couple of lbs.

Good ideas. 

I have already thought about some things in my pack that are seasonal that in the next couple of weeks will be going into storage.  I'm going to be changing packs in the next couple of weeks, I'll post pictures when I do.  And afterwards then I wanna do atleast a whole day out with nothing but my pack. 

My LA Police Gear 3-day backpack ($30) arrived today. In coyote tan, it screams tactical. The zippers were sticky, but I rubbed them with a bar of soap and they seem okay now. I need to rig a way to carry a water bottle on the outside, but otherwise, it's a great backpack.

My LA Police Gear 3-day backpack ($30) arrived today. In coyote tan, it screams tactical. The zippers were sticky, but I rubbed them with a bar of soap and they seem okay now. I need to rig a way to carry a water bottle on the outside, but otherwise, it's a great backpack.

Good to know. I'll wax my zippers if stiff. Ya I'm excited about the molle attachment, I'll order or modify a canteen holder that will attach.

My pack was shipped yesterday so should have it for the weekend for a short review with pictures.