My Get Home Bag

I bought a bladder today, I decided on a platypus 2L the tuber not the big zip. I decided on it for 2 reasons. 1. No fancy quick disconnect to break or leak, the tuber hose threads on like a bottle cap and had a rubber gasket. 2. The hose will work on their smaller collapsible bottles so I bought a 1L so now I can have up to 3L. in my pack. I looked at a couple filters today haven't purchased one yet, I was thinking about the steripen but don't like having to rely on battery power to sterilize my water. Edited by tennessee01tacoma
I like your thinking on the bladder! I have personally used steripens while backpacking. I think they are pretty cool and they work well, but they arnt for me. The one I saw used was very intermittent in cold water. It kept shutting off prior to it being sterilized. Also, you are limited to sterilizing 1 liter at a time and lastly, it does nothing to remove particulates. I'd stick with a regular filter.

I like your thinking on the bladder! I have personally used steripens while backpacking. I think they are pretty cool and they work well, but they arnt for me. The one I saw used was very intermittent in cold water. It kept shutting off prior to it being sterilized. Also, you are limited to sterilizing 1 liter at a time and lastly, it does nothing to remove particulates. I'd stick with a regular filter.

My thinking also, while they are neat, I would almost rather drink "contaminated" water with nothing floating in it than vice versa. I checked out the squeeze filter and I like it, I think I'm gonna check into those more.

haha, I hear you.  I really like the squeeze filter but be warned, you WILL go through bags.  Look at the Katadyn Filters also.  I'm pretty sure they have a charcoal filter that helps a lot with the taste of the water.  The squeeze filter does not.  

haha, I hear you. I really like the squeeze filter but be warned, you WILL go through bags. Look at the Katadyn Filters also. I'm pretty sure they have a charcoal filter that helps a lot with the taste of the water. The squeeze filter does not.

Ya I think I like the pump better. But I'm gonna do some research.
My Mapedition bag came in yesterday but the company I ordered from made an error and sent the wrong bag. So I had to send it back today and they have the right one on the way now. They did offer me an additional 10% off so they made it right.

My Mapedition bag came in yesterday but the company I ordered from made an error and sent the wrong bag. So I had to send it back today and they have the right one on the way now. They did offer me an additional 10% off so they made it right.

Good deal for you, I really like the maxpedition bags I've seen. I would have ordered one eventually if the pack I have now hadn't literally fallen into my lap.

I bought a 20oz stainless cup today for my pack since I didn't have anything to boil water in.

I'm planning on ordering some mre entrees and heaters this weekend I found a good website that allows you to order exactly what you want. The site is beprepared.com they don't have every entree and side but they have a good selection.

Good deal for you, I really like the maxpedition bags I've seen. I would have ordered one eventually if the pack I have now hadn't literally fallen into my lap.

I bought a 20oz stainless cup today for my pack since I didn't have anything to boil water in.

I'm planning on ordering some mre entrees and heaters this weekend I found a good website that allows you to order exactly what you want. The site is beprepared.com they don't have every entree and side but they have a good selection.

If I may make a suggestion. When MRE's are left in heat(such as a hot vehicle) their shelf life is rapidly reduced. Additionally, I've never had one but I hear they taste terrible and will cause horrible constipation. Also, MRE's are expensive. 

You should consider ordering some freeze dried food. MRE's last 5-7 years if stored properly while freeze dried food lasts 10 for the pouches or 30 years for the cans. The freeze dried pouches will be lighter than the MRE's and probably much tastier. The only advantage the MRE has is that you don't need hot water to eat it.

Here is what I've been buying lately. 

http://www.thereadystore.com/food-storage/brand/mountain-house/mountain-house-just-in-case-essential-assortment-bucket

http://www.thereadystore.com/food-storage/supply-size/pouches?p=3

I don't work for The Ready Store, I'm just a very happy customer. If you sign up for their emails you become a VIP customer which earns you points which equals $$. Also, they will notify you of special sales via email. The run sales often but for the VIP customers you can call at any time and they will take additional dollars off your order just because you called. 

If you decide to order, here is a coupon code for $10 off. If you spend $100 you get free shipping. I would recommend you call Marc and see what kind of deal you can get over the phone.

Marc Silva 800-773-5331x107

Coupon code-- 10C132

If I may make a suggestion. When MRE's are left in heat(such as a hot vehicle) their shelf life is rapidly reduced. Additionally, I've never had one but I hear they taste terrible and will cause horrible constipation. Also, MRE's are expensive.

You should consider ordering some freeze dried food. MRE's last 5-7 years if stored properly while freeze dried food lasts 10 for the pouches or 30 years for the cans. The freeze dried pouches will be lighter than the MRE's and probably much tastier. The only advantage the MRE has is that you don't need hot water to eat it.

http://www.thereadystore.com/food-storage/brand/mountain-house/mountain-house-just-in-case-essential-assortment-bucket

I don't work for The Ready Store, I'm just a very happy customer. If you sign up for their emails you become a VIP customer which earns you points which equals $$. Also, they will notify you of special sales via email. The run sales often but for the VIP customers you can call at any time and they will take additional dollars off your order just because you called.

If you decide to order, here is a coupon code for $10 off. If you spend $100 you get free shipping. I would recommend you call Marc and see what kind of deal you can get over the phone.

Coupon code-- 10C132

I will look into your suggestion, I have had a couple mre entrees, they are ok, but I wasn't aware of the shelf life.

Coupon code-- 10C132

I agree with this! MRE's are also VERY heavy. There are plenty of freeze dried type foods out there that have better shelf lifes, lighter weight and better tasting. You already have boiling water taken care of so you are good. I will be going this route when I get around to buying food. Heck, I even have some meals left over from my backpacking trips I can throw in there. Other food items you may want to consider, beef jerky, dried fruit, oatmeal packets, peanut butter, trail mix, chicken of the sea (foil wrapped chicken/salmon/tuna). All of those items are packed with nutrients, have long shelf lifes and taste good!

Edit: We have quite the thread going here! lol Edited by Slappy

Other food items you may want to consider, beef jerky, dried fruit, oatmeal packets, peanut butter, trail mix, chicken of the sea (foil wrapped chicken/salmon/tuna). All of those items are packed with nutrients, have long shelf lifes and taste good!

I just made my own "MRE" using many of the things you listed. I plan on starting a separate thread on that.

Edit: We have quite the thread going here! lol

Heck ya!

I guess tomorrow I need to update my pack contents list, I have picked up a couple goodies to swap out with stuff in my pack, I picked up a new, smaller, lighter headlamp made by Princeton Tec. I replaced my 1L stainless bottle with a 1L collapsible platypus bottle and a 20oz stainless cup(smaller and lighter).
  • Like 1

Heck ya!

I guess tomorrow I need to update my pack contents list, I have picked up a couple goodies to swap out with stuff in my pack, I picked up a new, smaller, lighter headlamp made by Princeton Tec. I replaced my 1L stainless bottle with a 1L collapsible platypus bottle and a 20oz stainless cup(smaller and lighter).

Now ya gettin' it!  :up:

This morning I put my new stuff in my pack today and it has paid off, my pack now weighs 15.5 pounds. I'll just go over the things I changed.

Added 2L platypus tuber bladder, 1L platypus collapsible bottle, 20 oz stainless cup, Princeton Tec Byte, 3 12hr lightsticks, Sea to Summit spork and knife combo. I also added 5 AAA batteries which is enough to replace the batteries in both my lights.

I removed a stainless 1L bottle, and energizer headlamp, I also removed the pair of wool socks and replaced them with some athletic socks which is what I wear all the time. Edited by tennessee01tacoma
You are doing good! Trimming pounds off your pack without sacrificing anything. You can keep going though. For a bag that will keep you company on a 35 mile walk home, you have 2 flashlights and 10 AAA Batteries...you know where I'm going with this right :-) If you like to have 2 flashlights, then you should have them. Both are lightweight with small batteries so you did well there. It's like me when I backpack, I don't need to carry 2 liters of water, but I choose to.

I would include extra batteries though. I made that mistake on my last trip. I had purchased lithium batteries for my headlamp and didnt hardly use them. When it came time to hike, I assumed my batteries were good and they weren't Doh! If you want to get anal and save another oz, use lithium batteries vs alkaline. 10 Alkaline batteries weigh 4 ounces (or a quarter pound) 10 lithium a weigh 2.5oz. :-) Edited by Slappy

You are doing good! Trimming pounds off your pack without sacrificing anything. You can keep going though. For a bag that will keep you company on a 35 mile walk home, you have 2 flashlights and 10 AAA Batteries...you know where I'm going with this right :-) If you like to have 2 flashlights, then you should have them. Both are lightweight with small batteries so you did well there. It's like me when I backpack, I don't need to carry 2 liters of water, but I choose to.

I would include extra batteries though. I made that mistake on my last trip. I had purchased lithium batteries for my headlamp and didnt hardly use them. When it came time to hike, I assumed my batteries were good and they weren't Doh! If you want to get anal and save another oz, use lithium batteries vs alkaline. 10 Alkaline batteries weigh 4 ounces (or a quarter pound) 10 lithium a weigh 2.5oz. :-)

My 2 light source comes from past caving trips, where 2 light sources are a minimum, I always had 3 battery powered light sources(headlamp, hand held, photon keychain led) plus a candle lantern. For the weight I'm (not)carrying I have some pretty powerful lights. And truthfully I probably wouldn't navigate much at night unless necessary, so the lights will be mainly for doing tasks or signaling. I had already thought about lithium batteries not so much for weight but I think they have a better shelf life as well.

I would get a separate filter because I personally wouldnt want dirty water sitting in my nice bladder and it will be more versatile.  For instance, you may not want to take you bladder with you but you do want to take the filter.  I use a Sawyer Squeeze filter and I really like it.  It has a lifetime guarantee and it weighs just ounces!  The problem is the bags are not durable and will wear out.  So buy extra and keep away from fire embers (ask me how I know :squint: ) But, you can also attach it to ANY bottle with a screwtop and bypass the bag all together.   

I bought a Sawyer last year and used it for about 3 weeks worth of trips.  I bought some Evernew water containers after reading about the Sawyer bag's durability issues on the Backpacking Light forums.  Found a seller on eBay:

$T2eC16NHJH8E9qSEU6!eBR,C(leyUw~~60_3.JP

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Evernew-Backpacking-Ultra-Lightweight-Water-Carry-2-0L-/251259215499?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a80375e8b

Haven't experienced any problems with the Evernews so far.  I like the bags because they take up almost no space when empty.

• Like 1

I bought a Sawyer last year and used it for about 3 weeks worth of trips.  I bought some Evernew water containers after reading about the Sawyer bag's durability issues on the Backpacking Light forums.  Found a seller on eBay:

$T2eC16NHJH8E9qSEU6!eBR,C(leyUw~~60_3.JP

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Evernew-Backpacking-Ultra-Lightweight-Water-Carry-2-0L-/251259215499?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a80375e8b

Haven't experienced any problems with the Evernews so far.  I like the bags because they take up almost no space when empty.

Thanks for that! I will check them out.  BPL is a good website that i should frequent more often than I do. 

Just bought the katadyn hiker I've heard so much good about them I figure so many people can't be wrong

Good choice!  I love those.  Wish I had one actually.  I got my bag back in!  Its really nice.  Cant wait to throw everything in it.  Still have a few things in the process of shipping.  I will post contents when I stop being lazy.  haha

Good choice! I love those. Wish I had one actually. I got my bag back in! Its really nice. Cant wait to throw everything in it. Still have a few things in the process of shipping. I will post contents when I stop being lazy. haha

I played with it last night and pumped about 5L through it in just a couple minutes, it weighs 8 oz, I think its well worth the "weight penalty. It packs fairly compact. I think for the money it a great water filter.

I'm working on my bag at the moment. Went with a Maxpedition Falcon II. I have a Surefire light, Leatherman OHT, SpyderCo knife, Swedish Steel fire starter, and a Katadyn bottle. I'm going to start building my trauma kit (parents are doctors) and starting to research some MRE substitutes to keep in the back. I've got a basic emergency kit from REI with a safety blanket, mirror, etc.

Learning more and more.