.357 Magnum hot heavy load suggestions

Hello again yall.

The warmer weather is soon approaching, and we are planning on doing more hiking in East Tn this year.  I am trying to find a good defensive load against 4 legged critters, especially large predators.  I know .357 magnum is not ideal for bear, but I do not have the financials for anything larger.

I will not rely on it totally, as I will also be carrying my Winchester 94 in 30WCF, but I would like to carry something hot for the handgun just in case.

Here is what I have to work with..

Ruger GP100 .357 with a 4 inch barrel

Speer JFP bullets at 180 grain.

standard or magnum CCI primers

Unique powder

Any ideas on a good hot heavy load?

I don't have experience with Unique in .357 but, 2400 and H110 are good with heavier loads. I load 180 gr. WFN cast GC behind 13.5 - 14.0 gr. 2400 and it hits about 1250 fps out of my Security Six. Its a thumper and no pressure signs in my gun. www.handloads.com had only one load with Unique and  a JFP bullet and it was 7.0 gr. and a starting load of 6.3 gr. The 7.0 gr. load gave a velocity of 1125 fps. I don't have one of my manuals handy right now. Your GP100 should be a strong gun. Ruger don't mess around.

Edited by roverboy

I use 2400 for my .357 loads.  My favorite load is 15.0 grains behind a Remington 158gr SJHP.  It's a bit stiff, but I have yet to see any high-pressure signs from it in any revolver.  I have also used the same load for the Berry's plated 158gr for an inexpensive practice round.

Bear are a thicker, heavier animal than deer, and penetration is important, especially if you need to defend yourself against an enraged Mama bear.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  Yeah, I know Unique is not top choice for a high power magnum load, but it's what I have, and powder is still a bit tight out there.  I am not really worried about the gun, as there will be definate signs of overpressure in the case before the gun is in danger.  I will just start with a common recipe and work up from there.  Thanks again.

i will be headed to Memphis when I get off in the morning, so i will look to see if I can find other powders there.

Edited by Will H

i use aa number 9

David's got a good point here.  I use #9 in my 357 sig with 125 grain bullets.  Plenty of accuracy, power, and it's cleaner (...as i remember...) in the sig. I wuz shootin it out of a glock 33.  It's basically a 3 inch barrel.  Probably worth lookin into.

leroy

Guest Fruit jar

Will H, we did a shopping trip to Memphis yesterday. BPS was empty, Sportsman's was about the same. Avery's was closed. You may have to do as we do. Wait for David's next trip this way.

I always look to Elmer Keith.....I have not been able to prove him wrong yet. If you can find some of his 173 grain cast lead bullets( I cast my own) and 13.5 grains of 2400 with standard primers it is a really good load. H110/296 is the same powder...no different coating, the same. But I have found it inconsistent in shorter barrels. AA9 is good and cleaner but I have such a history with 2400 I cannot leave it. For a combination of accuracy, velocity, and proven track record that is my first choice always. Do some research on sixguns.com.

• Like 1