TN to VA AHHHHH!!!! Hep me, Hep me peas!

Guest LiLBucket

Guest LiLBucket

So I was wondering if anyone here has moved from TN to VA (then obviously back for some reason) or from VA to TN. What are the immediate differences in things like taxes, little hidden gun laws, emision laws, and communist population?

I've done NO research as of yet as this is usually my first stop when browsing the interweb so excuse my ignorance at this time!

I have quite an enticing job offer in Roanoke and have until the end of the week to decide. There are other factors to be considered that are to long winded to list here, but I figure someone here might have some insight on this particular one. My fiance and I are young (relative to old people, haha, 23) and figure that now would be the best time to take some chances. We don't however want to walk into a hornet's nest of sorts.

Other than being shunned by the TGO for not actually being a TN residence anymore:cry:, what are some things to considered, the bad and the good likewise. Hey, I could still make a Tri-cities meet and shoot if I was allowed by the governing committee here:D !!

Lemme have it!!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i lived in va for 7 years before moving here. not much different to tell the truth. the vehicle emissions testing is done every year and you have to put ugly stickers on your windshield (cost was $50 when i lived there, moved in '00) didn't carry when i was there (wasn't old enough) but through traveling there a lot, the carry laws are pretty much the same (don't quote me on that)

But you do have state income tax. This is somewhat offset by lower sales taxes.

Gun laws are OK. Much like Tennessee, except that you can carry concealed in a state park in VA.

Roanoke is OK. It does flood downtown regularly but not for long. I wouldn't consider Richmond or the DC area.

VA gun laws are similar. No permit required to open carry, and restaurant carry is different. No concealed carry in restaurants that serve alcohol for on premises consumption. Open carry is the only way there. Without a Virginia CHP, you can only buy one handgun a month. Their CHP is a piece of paper, not like our ID cards. It doesn't require fingerprints in some counties, it's issued at the county courthouse, you don't have to give your SSN to get it, few other nice things. Check out packing.org and opencarry.org for more info on those. Also, check out the VCDL for more info on VA firearms law.

In the southwest/central Virginia areas, it's not that different from East TN. Northern Virginia is a different world. In Virginia, you'll pay slightly higher in taxes. Virginia has banned radar detectors for use on the roads. Virginia police officers tend to be anal about license plates. I've heard stories of them telling people to leave the state because they just had an out of state drive out tag instead of issued plates. The emissions testing is a load of crap, it's just another way of doing the wheel taxes down here.

Guest macho999

The taxes are ridiculous. I live 2 minutes from either KY or VA but live in TN for a reason. Personal property tax is another stupid tax you have to pay.

Tons of little nitpicky laws. If you can dream it then it's probably illegal or regulated. Most of the counties I've ever been to over there are heavy into the revenue generation through law enforcement. Maybe it was because I was out of state but I'd get pulled over doing under the speed limit and get a ticket for whatever they could rationalize.

I had a girlfriend in Big Stone Gap that I broke up with just because I hated Virginia so much.

Guest db99wj
The taxes are ridiculous. I live 2 minutes from either KY or VA but live in TN for a reason. Personal property tax is another stupid tax you have to pay.

Tons of little nitpicky laws. If you can dream it then it's probably illegal or regulated. Most of the counties I've ever been to over there are heavy into the revenue generation through law enforcement. Maybe it was because I was out of state but I'd get pulled over doing under the speed limit and get a ticket for whatever they could rationalize.

I had a girlfriend in Big Stone Gap that I broke up with just because I hated Virginia so much.

I thought Virginia is for lovers?:confused::D