This one time, at band camp...

peejman

Yes, I'm a former band geek.  I got this in an email and found it pretty impressive.  I'm told this is the Royal Norwegian Guard Regiment.  Their pin wheels could use a little work, but otherwise the performance is excellent.  Reminds me of the good 'ole days when all I had to worry about was staying in step.  A few things to note...

They're marching on ice.

They're carrying functional Garands. 

They're playing music from one of the greatest movies, ever.

http://sorisomail.com/email/16993/exibicao-de-banda-militar--um-espectaculo-imperdivel.html

• Like 2

You're not alone with this band geek thing. I'm one, also.

That was a good performance. I wish I could find some of the films of Clarksville High when

I was playing all the percussion stuff. I had a blast being a band geek.

All I saw was someones facebook page comments.

I s there a  link to the video?

Dunno.  I click the link and get an embedded video player and it starts automatically.  There's one comment below the video and nothing else one the page seems to load, though I attribute that to my employer's web filtering. 

You're not alone with this band geek thing. I'm one, also.

That was a good performance. I wish I could find some of the films of Clarksville High when

I was playing all the percussion stuff. I had a blast being a band geek.

My HS (Hixson) had a very good program and from there I went to UTC for 2 years.  That was, by far, the most fun I've ever had in band.  The band itself was excellent and the directors really did a great job of making sure it was fun.  Leaving the band was my only regret when I transferred to TTU. 

Edited by peejman

I got stuck in the middle of an MTSBOA marching contest with the only operable snare drum. I got to hear

that tape. Shattered heads, broken and dropped sticks, I was scared to screw up that night. The one night

I performed flawlessly. I was on cloud nine for the rest of the school year. Those competitions were rough, too.

I think it 1970 at Commodore stadium. We didn't end up ranking, but I got a bunch of attaboys.

I got stuck in the middle of an MTSBOA marching contest with the only operable snare drum. I got to hear

that tape. Shattered heads, broken and dropped sticks, I was scared to screw up that night. The one night

I performed flawlessly. I was on cloud nine for the rest of the school year. Those competitions were rough, too.

I think it 1970 at Commodore stadium. We didn't end up ranking, but I got a bunch of attaboys.

We never did that contest, but did plenty of others around the area.  Interestingly, I met my wife at one about 3 years before we actually met.  The UTC band did an exhibition at a contest her HS band attended.  Obviously, we're both band geeks.  We got to talking about it and found out she was at that show.  She remembered it vividly.... something about the flag girls in leotards dancing in a very sexy fashion around the trumpet line (me) while playing Heartbreak Hotel stuck in her memory.  Stuck in my memory too.  We had to practice it over, and over, and over...  :)

I'm gonna go ahead and say that when I open a thread with this particular title, I fully expect cute redheads doing "stuff" that gains my attention. therefore I boycott this thread until she arrives... with a flute.

My ex-girlfriend at the time (also in the band) was a redhead and played the flute...

Edited by peejman

It was a good video, but not enough screaming trumpets for my taste. 

This thread made me really think about the ironies in life.  During high school I was an incredibly lazy student, and found my chemistry class abhorrent. Even though I wasn't any good, band was about the only thing I enjoyed during my middle and high school years.  I loved playing high notes, or at least attempting to play them. :)  My musical tastes developed towards wanting to hear a powerful brass section with in-your-face screaming trumpets.  I don't know what it was, but there was always something appealing to me when I heard some trumpet player absolutely nail a double G or higher.  Then for just showing off, they would hold it for a split second longer after the rest of the band has stopped.  Anyway, long story short, I quit trumpet after high school, but ended up majoring in chemistry.  Go figure. 

My HS (Hixson) had a very good program and from there I went to UTC for 2 years.  That was, by far, the most fun I've ever had in band.  The band itself was excellent and the directors really did a great job of making sure it was fun.  Leaving the band was my only regret when I transferred to TTU. 

Yes, Frank Hale was an excellent director.  I checked out your profile, and you were one class year below me, but we attended the same school at the same time.  Reading some of your later posts, I realized we were in the same section (trumpet).

It was a good video, but not enough screaming trumpets for my taste. 

This thread made me really think about the ironies in life.  During high school I was an incredibly lazy student, and found my chemistry class abhorrent. Even though I wasn't any good, band was about the only thing I enjoyed during my middle and high school years.  I loved playing high notes, or at least attempting to play them. :)  My musical tastes developed towards wanting to hear a powerful brass section with in-your-face screaming trumpets.  I don't know what it was, but there was always something appealing to me when I heard some trumpet player absolutely nail a double G or higher.  Then for just showing off, they would hold it for a split second longer after the rest of the band has stopped.  Anyway, long story short, I quit trumpet after high school, but ended up majoring in chemistry.  Go figure. 

Yes, Frank Hale was an excellent director.  I checked out your profile, and you were one class year below me, but we attended the same school at the same time.  Reading some of your later posts, I realized we were in the same section (trumpet).

Yep, there's just something about a wailing trumpet.  I still listen to Maynard Ferguson for that very reason.  And PM send about the band...

That's what I said... that can't be ice.

I question that as well.  It looks like it could be polished concrete or ice. I've looked it up several places and everywhere I've found says it's ice.  Note that a very cold, very flat sheet of ice isn't real slippery.  It only gets "like ice" when it's just a little wet.  They could also be wearing special (studded?) shoes. 

And a little "small world" note....  through PM's, mav and I discovered that we sat next to one another for a year in HS band, 22 years ago.