Finally got to break in the Mossberg 590!

pattywak

Picture story time! Finally got to break in Mon Amie ( Mona for short ) at the range! 

Took my new girl: 

IMG_20130212_213306_zps5a8ab24b.jpg

To the range:

IMG_20130225_141851_zpse416fe9f.jpg

Patterned some Remington and Winchester 00 Buck at around 15 yards, this was the average pattern of both. Very acceptable for me and my usage of the gun as an HD firearm. 

IMG_20130225_142021_zpsd89bbf5f.jpg

Five slugs aimed at the A box at 15 yards:

IMG_20130225_143244_zps6802f507.jpg

Shoulder felt a little beat up, but it was definitely worth it. I loved shooting her and can't wait to do it again! Shot 25 birdshot, 20 buckshot and 10 slugs. Finished the range session with 100 rounds on my Shield. 

Only side note, the Tac Star side saddle I kept on there to try out, I've heard some people had problems with it and others havent. All the screws stayed in tight thanks to the loctite I used, but the shells did start to slip down some. I'm going to keep an eye on this to see if I will take it off and just run bare or swap to a velcro type side saddle. 

Not bad for my first time shooting a shotgun! 

Edited by pattywak

Or just flip your shells right side up instead of upside down. Not trying to be a smartass if it came across as such.

I could run the shells brass up, but practice with inert rounds has shown that it's much faster for me to load from the side saddle with brass down. That's why I like to run the shells brass down. 

Fair enough. I know when I had the same side saddle on an 870 I could barely jam the brass up into the plastic part and that would hold them in there pretty well. Probably wouldn't be great over time but whatever. Mileage may vary on yours.

Yeah, I've been trying to think of a way I could make this side saddle hold the shells tighter, but can't think of any way to do so. And I'm worried that a velcro one might not hold the shells tight enough either. Time do to more research I suppose. 

I love 590's but I hate side saddle shell carriers, if you have a bit of cash the Speedfeed stocks are well worth the coin IMHO, they keep the shells tucked out of the way, no snag potential, no slippage/loss of spare shells.

Like with any unfamiliar system you will need to practice to get fast with it though, I usually keep my 590A1 loaded with 00 but I keep my Speedfeed stock loaded with slugs, that way I can slank in a slug anytime I might need to reach out without fumbling around in a pocket or bandaleer or belt shell carrier, etc.

The Speedfeed stock does like shells with a nice deep ridge at the crimp though, so keep that in mind when selecting shells to use in it.
  • Like 1
I have a some-what long LOP so it fits me really well, however I do admit that it was kind of awkward when I was wearing PASGT armor, but it hasn't been an issue since switching over to a Weesatch plate carrier years ago.

But yea now that I think about it, that could be an issue for smaller statured folks since they are "full sized" & not adjustable, at least that is how they came when I first bought mine, not sure if Speedfeed makes a youth sized or an adjustable version or not..
  • Like 1

Picture story time! Finally got to break in Mon Amie ( Mona for short ) at the range! 

Patterned some Remington and Winchester 00 Buck at around 15 yards, this was the average pattern of both. Very acceptable for me and my usage of the gun as an HD firearm. 

IMG_20130225_142021_zpsd89bbf5f.jpg

If you intend it for HD, you need to know what it patterns like at 5 yds.  Perhaps you've got a big house, but the longest shot I could conceivably take inside my house is less than 10 yds. 

If you intend it for HD, you need to know what it patterns like at 5 yds.  Perhaps you've got a big house, but the longest shot I could conceivably take inside my house is less than 10 yds. 

I can tell you that at three feet a PDX1 shell makes one big hole. You're welcome to take a look at my bedroom ceiling as proof. Most any shotgun round will make one big hole at in-home distances unless the wad strays a little.

• Like 1

Yeah, I've been trying to think of a way I could make this side saddle hold the shells tighter, but can't think of any way to do so. And I'm worried that a velcro one might not hold the shells tight enough either. Time do to more research I suppose. 

Try some black rtv gasket maker. Apply thin layer in the side saddle with q tip. The rtv will grip the shells and keep them put. You can adjust as needed.
  • Like 1

Maybe you could wedge is shim the shells a bit? Something like a strip if folded paper that you could wrap around the shell to help give some extra tension and that would fall away when you took the shell out.

Just throwing an idea out

I'll think about this, seems like a pretty good idea just to keep the 6 shells in the holder. 

Good shooting, if your sholder is sore you are not holding the butt tight to you sholder.

On that note, in a "real" sitation you will not feel the recoil or hear the report.(hope you never have to)

I knew to push forward with my off hand and put the butt to my shoulder, I guess I need to pull into my shoulder a little more. Nothing like getting slapped around to get you to learn something! 

I love 590's but I hate side saddle shell carriers, if you have a bit of cash the Speedfeed stocks are well worth the coin IMHO, they keep the shells tucked out of the way, no snag potential, no slippage/loss of spare shells.

Like with any unfamiliar system you will need to practice to get fast with it though, I usually keep my 590A1 loaded with 00 but I keep my Speedfeed stock loaded with slugs, that way I can slank in a slug anytime I might need to reach out without fumbling around in a pocket or bandaleer or belt shell carrier, etc.

The Speedfeed stock does like shells with a nice deep ridge at the crimp though, so keep that in mind when selecting shells to use in it.

The Speedfeed stock seems interesting, but I have a Hogue 12" LOP stock on there because I need a much shorter LOP than the Speedfeed or factory Stock gave me. Thanks for the suggestion though. 

The way I thought of it, I put the target as far out as I could to see how it patterned. The closer the target would be I feel safe assuming the pattern would be tighter. Unless some magic happens with shot patterns that I don't know about. Haha. 

Try some black rtv gasket maker. Apply thin layer in the side saddle with q tip. The rtv will grip the shells and keep them put. You can adjust as needed.

Interesting....time to see if I have any laying around. 

Thanks for all the advice and tips everyone! 

I can tell you that at three feet a PDX1 shell makes one big hole. You're welcome to take a look at my bedroom ceiling as proof. Most any shotgun round will make one big hole at in-home distances unless the wad strays a little.

The way I thought of it, I put the target as far out as I could to see how it patterned. The closer the target would be I feel safe assuming the pattern would be tighter. Unless some magic happens with shot patterns that I don't know about. Haha.

gnmw's post above illustrates the point of my post.  People tend to think of a shotgun as a "scatter gun" where accuracy isn't especially important, but clearly that's not the case.  At typical home defense distances, nearly any shotgun shell effectively makes one hole.  While it may make a really big, nasty, horrible hole, a miss is still a miss.  You can't count on the "pattern effect" of the gun to compensate for inaccurate shooting.  Pointing it "thataway" and pulling the trigger doesn't work. 

Great idea!  I'd sand the surface a little to roughen it so the rtv (or any sort of silicone sealant) will stick better. 

Edited by peejman