Some questions for the Knoxvillians.....

BigPoppa

We're coming up this weekend for the George Strait concert. We're staying at a friend's cabin in Gatlinburg, and taking a cab into Knoxville prior to the concert. We'll head downtown for dinner and some drinks first. Here's my queries.....

a) how far are the downtown bars and restaurants from campus/Thompson-Boling Arena? Walking distance?

b) recommend some good places....not so much the bar scene, but a comfortable place for some 40somethings to drink a few beers and have a good meal.

c) too lazy to Google it.....what's your weather forecast for this weekend?

Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats going to be an expensive cab ride!  41/25 with a chance of snow on Saturday.  I'm sure some of the downtowners will be along soon to answer the watering hole question. 

Edited by VERO1

Thats going to be an expensive cab ride!  41/25 with a chance of snow on Saturday.  I'm sure some of the downtowners will be along soon to answer the watering hole question. 

Yes, quite an expensive cab ride.  But given how much the concert tickets are...

The "Market Square" area has a number of good restaurants/bars.  It's walking distance if you're up for a 2-ish mile walk.  Tomato head, Downtown Grill & Brewery, Tupelo Honey, and Preservation Pub are all good.  Cafe 4 is good too, but I don't recommend it for political reasons. 

Much closer to the Arena is Calhoun's  and Ruth's Chris on Neyland Dr.  There's also lots of stuff on the Cumberland Ave "strip"

edit.... and so far, the weather forecast is crappy.  Cold, rainy, snowy.... :yuck:

Edited by peejman

I would stay away from the Cumberland Ave. area.  That is where the college kids hang out.  My wife and I like the Market Square/ Gay Street area or the Old City when we go out.  There are several great restaurants in Market Square.  We like to eat at the Downtown Grill and Brewery on Gay Street, they have some pretty good craft brews if you are a beer drinker.  We also like Barley's Tap Room in the Old City, they have lots of beers on tap and they have some pretty good pizza.  Of course this area is a pretty good hump to Thompson Boling but compared to a cab ride from Gatlinburg the cab ride from this area to Thompson Bolin will be a drop in the bucket. 

.......The "Market Square" area has a number of good restaurants/bars.  It's walking distance if you're up for a 2-ish mile walk.  ...

Well, just about a mile exactly one way from Boling to Market Square. Look at a map, you want to walk on greenway on north side of Neyland (don't cross over to the river side of greenway) which will lead you behind the Hill to World's Fair park. Just aim at the Sunsphere, you come out on Clinch/Henley, Market Square is another 3 blocks.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Its gonna be cool Friday   not sure I would want to walk from downtown unless I had good comfortable tennis shoes.  If your women like to dress up, that could be a significant hike especially in uncomfortable shoes.  

Restaurants I like that are the closest.  

Downtown/Market Square

• Downtown Bar and Grill, get there early it will be packed
  • Cafe 4 (1.3 mi walk) 
  • Crown and Goose, one of my favorites (1.6 mi walk)

Cumberland Ave

• Sunspot ( its new location, right next to Pilot on Corner of Cumberland and Volunteer) 1.2 mi walk to Arena

if it were me Id look at getting another cab ride

Edited by Lumber_Jack

Cumberland Ave

• Sunspot ( its new location, right next to Pilot on Corner of Cumberland and Volunteer) 1.2 mi walk to Arena

Original location was posted, btw (the long worded version), dunno about new one, didn't even know they'd moved.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Original location was posted, btw, dunno about new one, didn't even know they'd moved.

- OS

Just moved recently, to the old Old College Inn place.  We used to be regulars in college, so I still have some friends that frequent, that's how I know.  didn't even know they were posted, probably hadn't been since getting my permit.  

keep in mind that a mile walk in Knoxville isn't going to feel the same as 4 laps around a level track. You WILL be trudging over a hill or two.  

It ain't bad though. I walk 4 miles to Y and back frequently, and I knew Methuselah personally.

- OS