Mossberg .410 Home Defense Shotgun

BigPoppa

Ran across a couple of articles about a shotgun that Mossberg produces, or used to.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3197/is_n3_v37/ai_12462187/print?tag=artBody;col1

It's a .410 bore pump gun fitted with a laser in the fore end, and youth stocks. It was marketed exclusively as a HD gun, and their niche market was women. I think they titled it the "HS 410" or something similar to that.

Supposedly it even came with a basic shotgun training and home defense video.

Quick search on the Mossberg website didn't give me anything.

Sooooooooooo.........any TGO'ers heard of this ? got one ? know where I can gets me one ?

Edited by BigPoppa
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest c.a.s.

Wouldn't the .410 bore be useless as an HD gun unless you were using slugs? The bore size can't handle larger shot that would be required for sufficient penetration for stopping power.

Guest c.a.s.

Wouldn't they have ot be lined up straight?

I'm no physics major, but wouldn't that inhibit spread of the pattern?

Speaking of this, the preferable load in 20g for SD? All I have are slugs and birdshot at the moment.

Here's one of the articles I saw. It explains how .410 is sufficient for close-in home defense, but eliminates most over penetration concerns for folks like apartment dwellers.

This article was OP in 1992, so there's no telling how long this gun has been out of production.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3197/is_n3_v37/ai_12462187/print?tag=artBody;col1

Edited by BigPoppa
Guest c.a.s.

It only compared it on one jug of water. The Box O' Truth shows that the FBI recommended penetration is 4 jugs of water, the equivalent of 13 inches of ballistics gelatin. Now, you must remember, if 2 wallboards stop it (are they using birdshot or what?), it's not going to penetrate much BG.

Even .22LR penetrates quite a few wallboards.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

Shows a few different rounds. If you go to the "original chapters" area, he has one for shotguns. I do not remember if it involves .410.

Guest bkelm18
.410 buckshot will ruin an attackers day. Remember, 3 pellets of 000 buck is the rough equivalent of getting hit 3 times with a .38 special in the same place.

I'd still prefer the 12ga for defense. 10 pellets of 000 Buck. Like emptying a .38sp revolver into someone, reloading, and emptying it again. :rolleyes:

Edited by bkelm18

i love scatterguns for defense, especially home defense or close quarters...

myself i prefer a good solid 12ga, but i'm a big guy and built to handle it. my wife just cant shoot the 12...even with reduced recoil law enforcement buckshot. she barely handles birdshot in the 12. i've tried a 20 for her, and its still just a little to much. she can perform surgery with her S&W .38spl, so thats what she uses for home defense. if she wanted a .410 for home defense, i would back it 100%. any long gun is better than any short gun...and like has been said a .410 is like getting 3 hits at the same time with a .38spl.

i wouldnt want to be standing on the business end of a short barreled .410...

I have one of those Mossberg .410HDs.

Well...., really the delightful & wonderful "Mrs Kari" has the weapon. :rolleyes:

Its on her side of the bed for those times when I'm not home and she hears something go bump in the night that somehow got pass our German Shepard.

My side of the bed has the 870 tactical. :)

They make 000 Buckshot for .410 I think, but each shell only contains like 3 or 4 "balls" (not sure what they are called).

They do indeed make 00 buckshot for .410 gauge shotguns. each round contains 3 balls that are about .32 and believe me..they WILL put a hurtin on anything they touch. with an automatic or pump shotgun you can put out some impressive firepower.

I have yet to find any tripple aught.

and yep..they're called 00 buckshot shells in .410 gauge. You would have to find them in a dedicated gunshop or someplace like Dicks sporting goods.. Wallyworld won't carry them.

If you're considering a .410 long gun, you can also look for a pistol like the judge or the thunder 5. these pistols shoot .410 OR 45 long colt. they're excellent snake guns and better home defense pistols since you can use them as an AOW essentially, without the tax stamp.

they also shoot one heck of a huge hunk of lead should you load a .45 long colt in one chamber.

they're heavy though...so the recoil isn't that bad on them.

Edited by towerclimber37
Guest c.a.s.

I can't even find buckshot for TWENTY gauge, only skeet loads and bird loads. I'll have mom inquire about them next time. I'll look around the internet as well, to see if any places have anything bigger than #6.

Guest airbornefox
I can't even find buckshot for TWENTY gauge, only skeet loads and bird loads. I'll have mom inquire about them next time. I'll look around the internet as well, to see if any places have anything bigger than #6.

Its a load that seems a little difficult to find, but skeet and bird loads can put a hurtin on someone. Some old farmers in my area do custom loads with rock salt and bird shot (it feels like the devil bit ya in the butt, I know!) :)

Guest c.a.s.

Those salt loads can land you in legal trouble!

One of my friends got mistaken for a vandal during a camping trip and got hit with a salt load. It pretty much fused with his skin and just kept burning. It's pretty rough to get off.

Its a load that seems a little difficult to find, but skeet and bird loads can put a hurtin on someone. Some old farmers in my area do custom loads with rock salt and bird shot (it feels like the devil bit ya in the butt, I know!) :)

lol, my dad has made up some .410 shotshells by just replacing the birdshot with rock salt, and they will make a stray dog find the fastest way away from where it came from, believe me. just make sure you clean the bore real good afterwards