Ideas on removing critters from crawlspace

analog_kidd

I have a rental house, and a few weeks ago the tenants called me to remove a dead possum from the crawlspace. I found a small opening around the HVAC system which lookjed like a possible entrance for it. I put a rock in front of the hole. Today I went by and see that there is a hole dug under the HVAC right next to my rock. So, something is getting in.

I don't want to permanently seal the hole and trap the critters in. I'll just be pulling more dead animals out of the crawlspace later. I'd like them to move out first.

I was thinking of putting something like Coyote urine in the space and then coming back a week or so later. Does that sound like a good plan? If so where can something like that be obtained (I know the jokes are coming so let me clarify: from a retail store).

Or, is there a better idea out there? 

Smoke bombs as an idea but traps and the Decon would work for me.

A population of squirrels have began to over run the yard and ravage my bird feeders so for the past 4 wks I've been trapping them and releasing them about 3 miles from the house. Beginning to wonder how many I actually have/had, I've carried off my tenth one today. Also wondering if they're finding their way back?  :unsure:

I did the same thing with skunks. Worked like a charm. I used peanut butter.

Once they are caught, seal the hole.

Peanut butter is the bomb for catching critters. I had a mouse get into one of my walls, i went to the spot i thought i heard him via the attic. Tied a string to a trap baited with honey jiff (pretty strong scent) and lowered it down into the wall. Dern mouse runs onto the trap and snaps it as i lowered it down. I thought i was being punked....

• Like 1

Shoot the squirrels on your bird feeders with a BB gun.  Those little "rats" will destroy your home given a chance.

Ha, several years ago that was my means of elimination, up until the wife came home one day and saw my kills for the day. Needless to say she freaked out and that's when I became a trapper.  <_<

Ha, several years ago that was my means of elimination, up until the wife came home one day and saw my kills for the day. Needless to say she freaked out and that's when I became a trapper.  <_<

It probably would have gone over better if you hadn't put their heads on miniature poles all around the bird feeders.

Edited by Murgatroy
  • Like 1

Trapping them will work, but keep in mind that a possum in a trap is a very unhappy critter.  The urine should work too and yes, seal up any small openings with Great Stuff.  But be careful if you're spraying it into a closed cavity.  If you over-do it, the foam can expand with enough pressure to crack masonry. 

Smoke bombs as an idea but traps and the Decon would work for me.

A population of squirrels have began to over run the yard and ravage my bird feeders so for the past 4 wks I've been trapping them and releasing them about 3 miles from the house. Beginning to wonder how many I actually have/had, I've carried off my tenth one today. Also wondering if they're finding their way back?  :unsure:

My Dad has the same problem with racoons.  He traps and relocates them, but he's taking them 20 miles away.  I don't think 3 miles is nearly far enough and I certainly wouldn't be wasting gas hauling squirrels.  Go back to the BB gun, just clean up after yourself more promptly.  They make good fertilizer...

I've trapped possums too and the city possums appear to be all show, I just shake them out of the cage and they are on their way  :shrug:

Skunks are treated differently, throw a tarp over the trap and take them to a boat dock, drop them in the water with a teether on the trap, open it under water and let them swim away or sit there until the bubbles stop coming up.

Trapping them will work, but keep in mind that a possum in a trap is a very unhappy critter.  The urine should work too and yes, seal up any small openings with Great Stuff.  But be careful if you're spraying it into a closed cavity.  If you over-do it, the foam can expand with enough pressure to crack masonry. 

My Dad has the same problem with racoons.  He traps and relocates them, but he's taking them 20 miles away.  I don't think 3 miles is nearly far enough and I certainly wouldn't be wasting gas hauling squirrels.  Go back to the BB gun, just clean up after yourself more promptly.  They make good fertilizer...

We will see soon enough, the last three had their tails painted red.  :wave:

I've trapped possums too and the city possums appear to be all show, I just shake them out of the cage and they are on their way  :shrug:

Skunks are treated differently, throw a tarp over the trap and take them to a boat dock, drop them in the water with a teether on the trap, open it under water and let them swim away or sit there until the bubbles stop coming up.

Other than the obvious smell, skunks are good critters to have around.  They (and possums) eat all kinds of other critters you'd rather not have.  Squirrels on the other hand, are just plain annoying....   "rats with good PR".  

I hate possums had one not play possum in the driveway hissing and swaying back and forth drooling. it had a family member cornered. it died of lead poisoning. found out cci quiets sound like cap guns :)

Well, I got one of those live traps and set it up in the crawlspace. Two full days now and nothing!  :shrug:

I baited it with a can of cat food. There are obvious signs of something that has dug a hole under the AC ducts going into the crawlspace. I found a dead possum in there several weeks ago, which is what led me to think something was living there. I found it's entrance, and blocked it. Shortly after is when I noticed the new burrow.

The only thing I can think of is either they don't like my brand of cat food, or they realize just how serious I am and have evacuated while they still have a chance.