What is this!? M1A Thread

jport

I know this obviously a m1a/m14 platform rifle optimized for reaching out and touching, but from the outside, what do you think it cost to build? Obviously not knowing its true parts composure, just exterior aesthetics alone make an educated guess? How much do you think a man would go into the hole trying to assemble one like this, and how would YOU do it if given an approximate budget? I want to take a match load through a deers right eye, and out the left at 200yds. And know exactly where I was going to put it before I made it happen. Just a little background, I have been scoping deer rifles for as long as I can remember life, and have never taken a headshot. Nor had the confidence to try.

4B506295-C7BF-4D81-876C-19845EFF349C-275

BF822450-20F7-4760-B363-148396D84FFC-275

The top is rocking a JAE Stock(J. Allen Enterprises) depending on options it will cost you $1,000+ I ordered one for mine and I think it was $1400 with the options I got,however after waiting for 10 months and still no word on a completion date I decided to cancel my order. Now I dont know what glass or can is on it, but just going on a they probably used the good stuff Im going with the price of atleast $4,000 between the glass and the stock that is ofcourse if its Premiere,USO or equivalent glass. Thats not counting the rifle or can to which if the rifle is a custom build you can be looking at some serious coin on a rifle whos accuracy can be met for far less.

I think you would be hard pressed to build any M1A for less than you could buy a Springfield National Match or a Socom if you want the tactical look. (Around $2K)

There are a lot of far less expensive rifles that can out shoot an M1A if you have the ability to put a .308 round though a deer’s eye at 200 yards. Are you locked in on an M1A?

I am just now opening my eyes to the world of the M1a's. Never considered one until recently. I have never put one through a bucks eyes(although I did blow ones belly open once), but my tool of choice in the past was always the old reliable model 70 in 30-06. I picked up a double star AR a few years back but was never really impressed enough to take it out for more than a coyote. I did really enjoy the platform. Semi auto isn't a necessity on a hunt because one foul shot could send you home empty handed. SO in short, I have put my scar h up on the trade block recently, and have been more and more interested in the M1A as to me it seems like a semi auto "all a rounder" with a round hairy enough to get any job done, in more of a marksman package than the SCAR. Don't get me wrong, the scar is deadly accurate, efficient, and runs incredibly clean. It is also the easiest rifle to clean I have ever owned. I'm reading though that guys are having no issues with match grade m1a's to go out 300+ yards and be secure in where it will end up. Would you say the FDE could be built for $5k?

If you haven't been there check out m14forum.com.  More information than you could ever digest.  As for building it for 5K you should be able to do that without any issues.  Of course that will depend on the glass you choose as well as the base rifle.  With a new springfield M1A no problem.  If you are looking for a pre-ban NM, you might be 3+K just into the rifle itself.

Edited by hkusp40cal

You can easily build a nice M14 setup for $5k.  The trick is getting to know what your rifle needs.  The M14 platform has a lot to learn about for you to maintain it's top performance.  I love mine and yes, there are many bolt actions that will out shoot my gas gun BUT they ain't the same.  There is magic and confidence when your M1A/M14 is dialed in.  As stated above, the M14forum.com is the place to learn.  Tons of info.  Can get plenty of help before you make an expensive choice.

Guest 6.8 AR

I am a proud owner of an M1A and can't wrap my mind around putting a stock like that on the

beautiful weapon in it's current form.