Need a purple revolver

Jax970

My daughter is a 22 yr old college student and finally decided she wants to carry a handgun for protection.  She has decided that she wants a light weight PURPLE revolver.  She's not super picky and would be satisfied with the normal blue or silver/stainless, but dear ol' Dad would really like to get her what she wants.  (You "daughter daddies" out there know what I'm talking about!)  When it comes to revolvers, I'm a Smith & Wesson fan.  She has shot the 642 and likes it, so I'm thinking, it is made from aluminum alloy, just get it anodized.  But that seems to be more difficult than it sounds.  

So, my question... has anyone had experience/information on anodizing a S&W 642?  Do you know of companies that have anodized a 642 with good results?  

I know Charter makes a purple revolver, but, like I said, I'm a S&W fan when it comes to revolvers.  I'm also familiar with the Duracoat/Cerakote and similar finishes, but I want to explore anodizing first.

All advice/experience/suggestions appreciated!!!

My suggestion is to buy the gun you like and get it purpled somewhere.  Annodized is harder to find, but every town has a couple of people that do cerakote or gunkote or whatever all the other new finishs that come in 256 colors are called.  

Most of the colored guns for girls are not on my top 50 list of purchases.  Yea, its pink, but it has a 30 pound trigger and shoots a goofy cartridge too, usually.   I mean, if you/she WANTS one of the 3 brands that provide a colored gun, awesome, but if you want something else, get the right gun first and foremost, and color it to suit your needs.  Wife has had 2 of her pistols pinked (one for fun and one because it was in need of a new finish), and she loves the result.

edit:

a thought: if you are going to refinish one, maybe roll that cost around by buying a nice but used gun, maybe with... finish damage... 

Edited by Jonnin

I echo the fact that you should just try the charter first IF you must find a purple gun. I think it is a bad idea to pick a gun based solely on the color but you didn't ask that....... She may love the charter but she may not.

When I first got into guitars my grandpa bought me a nice 50's reissue american made strat because I liked the way it looked. Fast forward 15 years and I wish I would have gotten a telecaster instead because of the way it sounds and plays but Id didn't know anything about them when I picked it out. Moral of the story is don't spend a bunch of money on a smith and even more making it purple on a CHANCE that she may like it.

What are you going to do with a purple gun if she doesn't like it? :yuck:

Edited by maroonandwhite

Thanks for the comments!  My daughter isn't new to shooting, just carrying.  The plan is to make sure she gets a quality gun that she likes first, then worry about appearance second.  After all, this is a defense tool, not a fashion accessory.  She has shot the 642 and likes it, so now on to coloring.  

Jonnin, you say there are 3 brands that come in purple.  Charter is the only revolver brand that I know of that comes in purple.  What are the other two?

Also, what companies have good reputations for anodizing?

Thanks for the comments!  My daughter isn't new to shooting, just carrying.  The plan is to make sure she gets a quality gun that she likes first, then worry about appearance second.  After all, this is a defense tool, not a fashion accessory.  She has shot the 642 and likes it, so now on to coloring.  

Jonnin, you say there are 3 brands that come in purple.  Charter is the only revolver brand that I know of that comes in purple.  What are the other two?

Also, what companies have good reputations for anodizing?

Sorry was thinking auto-pistols too, the LCP comes in purple I think, for example? 

Um what about purple custom grips, by the way?  Then you don't need to ruin the gun to give it a color splash.  http://www.tombstonegrips.com/images/gunpix/rg23_amethyst.jpg would be pretty classy IMHO

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

Sorry was thinking auto-pistols too, the LCP comes in purple I think, for example? 

Um what about purple custom grips, by the way?  Then you don't need to ruin the gun to give it a color splash.  http://www.tombstonegrips.com/images/gunpix/rg23_amethyst.jpg would be pretty classy IMHO

+1 This is what I would do since it is a Smith. Easily reversible and adds that color she wants.

Talked to a guy at work and he had a list of people that anodized motorcycle parts. They might be able to help:

Metal Kote 1660 South Church Street Cleveland, TN 37311

4 final finish 1215 Middlesettlements Rd. Maryville, TN 37801

Protech Metal Finishing, LLC 120 Tellico Port Rd. Vonore, TN 37885

No experience with anodizing, but my 60ish neighbor just got a purple Charter for carry, Lavander Lady I think.  We'd tried her shooting a multitude of different guns.  She could actually see the sights on the Charter, unlike a lot of other options, and the trigger pull was actually pretty good on that specific one.

I like the grips idea, too.  Ever seen purpleheart wood?  It is an 'exotic' hardwood that is naturally purple or 'purple-ish'.  Some examples tend toward a darker 'purple' color while others tend toward a more reddish/purple tone.  I think a set of those would look great on a 642 - especially if they were made from a piece of purpleheart that tended toward the darker end of its color range.  Heck, I'd carry that, myself.

Purpleheart wood is pretty hard.  I know because I made a cane for my mom with a purpleheart handle (mom is also a big fan of purple.)  The handle was my variation on the 'derby' style and I had made myself a cane with the same type of handle only my handle was made of cherry.  Even though cherry is plenty hard, it almost seemed 'soft' and was extremely easy to work compared with the purpleheart.   I have seen pictures of a few sets of handgun grips made from purpleheart.  This is a pretty good pic of what the wood looks like:

http://www.powerswoodsource.com/images/woods/Purple_Heart.jpg

This is on the Marschal grips site.  Look at the Bersa Thunder grips (not a revolver but will give an idea of what purpleheart grips look like) that are pictured in the third full row from the bottom, middle and right side pics.  Those seem to be made from a piece that tended more toward the 'reddish-purple' end of its coloring and almost look like a pinkish-purple.

http://www.marschalgrips.com/bersa/bersa.html

Edited by JAB