I'm heading down to Tampa/ Saint Pete (by way of GA) for about a week. I'm just curious about how strict FL is on concealment, with printing and so on... I know Georgia is an open/ concealed state, so not too worried there, but I've heard that in the past Florida could be kind of a pain. Anyone been down there lately?

Edited by djerdl

I go there all the time and carry; never had a problem.  I have several Florida LEOs in the family and they could care less about someone legally carrying a firearm whether it's showing or not.  Of course, all it takes is one a-hole cop with an attitude to ruin your day, but that's anywhere.  One of my family members is a beat cop right there in St. Pete.  From what I understand they have bigger fish to fry in that area than a legally armed citizen who had a wardrobe malfunction.  So long as you're not doing anything silly or trying to carry a mare's leg into a Chuck E Cheese I'm sure you'll be fine.

Here is a link to the Florida statute that covers brief open display of firearms:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.053.html

Florida is also a preemption state.  I travel there a lot and never been hassled.  There's a lot of good information here:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

Florida's carry laws are more lax than Tennessee with open carry being the only exception. No gun signs don't have any weight and you can even drink a beer while you eat if you choose as long as you are in the dining room and not the bar. Not recommending this, just letting you know.

Thanks for the info Erik. I'm not a big drinker, and never really even think about it when I'm carying, but it's good to know their laws are fairly lax. If you look around the internet long enough, you can really come up with some horror stories about carrying down there (probably true of any state).

I go there all the time and carry; never had a problem.  I have several Florida LEOs in the family and they could care less about someone legally carrying a firearm whether it's showing or not.  Of course, all it takes is one a-hole cop with an attitude to ruin your day, but that's anywhere.  One of my family members is a beat cop right there in St. Pete.  From what I understand they have bigger fish to fry in that area than a legally armed citizen who had a wardrobe malfunction.  So long as you're not doing anything silly or trying to carry a mare's leg into a Chuck E Cheese I'm sure you'll be fine.

Good to hear. I've been down there a few times now, with only one minor incident. Fortunately, it worked out all right, but I sure wish I HAD been carrying that time. Just sheer luck things didn't go downhill. As for Chuck E Cheese.. I avoid it like the plague anyway.  

Here is a link to the Florida statute that covers brief open display of firearms:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.053.html

Florida is also a preemption state.  I travel there a lot and never been hassled.  There's a lot of good information here:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

Thanks for the links. I've been meaning to look up the specifics on preemption. Good info.

I'm actually going to be down in the St Pete area here in a few weeks and will be doing some shooting with some local Popo. I think any of them would tell you that you'd be crazy not to be armed in St Pete after dark.
I was on my bike one day while on vacation and my shirt was blowing up in the back and I got pulled over because the cop saw my g27 tuvked in my waistband.....he was cool about it once he knew I had a permit, I asked about other gun laws and we told each other to be safe and parted ways

I was on my bike one day while on vacation and my shirt was blowing up in the back and I got pulled over because the cop saw my g27 tuvked in my waistband.....he was cool about it once he knew I had a permit, I asked about other gun laws and we told each other to be safe and parted ways

was this in GA or FL?

Florida highway patrol....he had been behind me for a few miles and said he could see my gun the whole time, he even told me it was a sub compact glock hahaha like I said he was really nice about it, he checked my drivers license for my motorcycle endorsement and checked my insurance and my carry permit, we chatted and went about our day Edited by knoxrocks222
Guest Scwrod

I just got back yesterday from St. Augustine and Daytona Beech (Bike Week). I read up before I went. From all info I gathered I concluded I would be fine as long as it was concealed. I took 3 pistols and plenty of ammo in case we went to a range. I was going to be there for 2 weeks and my mother lives there and I wanted to get her familiar with her new pistol. I was still concerned about the laws so I asked several LEO's.

First one was a Sherriff. He knew absolutely nothing about what other states HCP/CCP Florida would honor. This was concerning to me so I kept asking. Next I was at the St. Augustine beech in shorts and t-shirt and printing a little. They were also not sure what states FL. would honor. They were cool and I informed them that currently FL does honor TN HCP as long as I was a resident of the state that issued the permit. They told me that the area I was in was very liberal and just keep it out of site and I would be fine.

I ended up just carrying my smaller pistols that were easier to conceal as my usual daily carry was a little large. I was now just concerned because local LEO's did not know the law.

I went to ride the slingshot ride in Daytona with my daughter and they made you remove everything you had on you. I told the guy I was carrying and he was glad. They had one guy that kept his on and fell off on the ride (300 ft. in the air) I told him there was no way mine would come out. He said I would need to remove it. He wanted me to put it in one of the little bins were everyone would put there coins, cell phone, glasses, etc.. I told him that was not good protocol to have someone's gun and loaded magazine in an unsecure manner. I ended up giving him the mag and my girlfriend the pistol. That ride "Slingshot" is intense I can not believe my daughter talked me into it. 

I did find out that there is current legislation active for allowing OC.

If you are still concerned about FL gun laws you can call the Florida Dept. of Agriculture and inquire about specifics before you go.

Edited by Scwrod

I was now just concerned because local LEO's did not know the law.

That wouldn’t concern me. Who memorizes the lists of reciprocity states or keeps up on it? It’s a non-issue unless he is going to arrest you; then he would find out. biggrin.gif

• Like 2

That wouldn’t concern me. Who memorizes the lists of reciprocity states or keeps up on it? It’s a non-issue unless he is going to arrest you; then he would find out. biggrin.gif

Yeah, no one wants to end up on the dunce board for arresting someone for a crime that doesn't exist.

Guest Scwrod

Yeah, no one wants to end up on the dunce board for arresting someone for a crime that doesn't exist.

Have you guys seen some of the crazy YouTube vids :)

Edited by Scwrod

Its funny, with the links posted as to Fla carry laws and I just had a friend get back 2 days ago from Fla. While he was there he stopped in a local gun shop and they would not sell him a hand gun because he is not a Fla resident -would'nt even offer to ship to ffl here and they also told him that Tn carry permit is not valid in Fla. If I were going to Fla anytime soon I would do as  Scwrod mentioned in post #14 and make the phone call.

Its funny, with the links posted as to Fla carry laws and I just had a friend get back 2 days ago from Fla. While he was there he stopped in a local gun shop and they would not sell him a hand gun because he is not a Fla resident -would'nt even offer to ship to ffl here and they also told him that Tn carry permit is not valid in Fla. If I were going to Fla anytime soon I would do as  Scwrod mentioned in post #14 and make the phone call.

It's federal law that nixes the out of state pistol sale, ya know -- though the other two circumstances are both pretty crummy.

- OS

The shop should be able to ship to an FFL no problem though right?

Sure. I glossed over the part where they refused to even do that, sorry.

Guess they didn't see the hassle worth it for what they'd make on the deal.

- OS