Citgo HQ Flies Old Glory at Half Mast for Chavez

Guest 6.8 AR

I haven't, either. Ever since I learned they were owned by Venezuela. But I didn't realize they were still the owners.

Didn't Shell and some other oil companies clean their plate a few years ago?

What the hell! I believed the flag was only lowered to half mast for national or state mourning, and was proclaimed by the POTUS, or the Governor of each state. I was not aware that a business could lower the flag for a foreign despot. That is just wrong.

It will be a cold, cold day before I put Citgo gas in my car.

• Like 1

What the hell! I believed the flag was only lowered to half mast for national or state mourning, and was proclaimed by the POTUS, or the Governor of each state. I was not aware that a business could lower the flag for a foreign despot. That is just wrong.

You're right!  But I think its bad etiquette, not Law:

In the United States, the President can issue an executive order for the flag of the United States to be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States government, and others, as a mark of respect to their memory. When such an order is issued, all government buildings, offices, public schools and military bases are to fly their flags at half-staff. Under federal law (4 U.S.C. Â§ 7(f)), the flags of states, cities, localities, and pennants of societies, shall never be placed above the flag of the United States; thus, all other flags also fly at half-staff when the U.S. flag has been ordered to fly at half-staff.

Governors of the several U.S. states or territories are authorized by federal law to order all U.S. and state flags in their jurisdiction flown at half-staff as a mark of respect for a former or current state official who has died, or for a member of the armed forces who has died in active duty. The governor's authority to issue the order is more restricted than the president's and does not include the discretion to issue the order for state residents who do not meet the criteria stated. Since a governor's executive order affects only his or her state, not the entire country, these orders are distinguished from presidential proclamations.

Edited by barewoolf

A local real estate office had their flag at half-staff yesterday.  It didn't occur to me why that might be until later and I didn't have time to stop and ask.  I hope it wasn't for Chavez but can't think of any other reason.

Citgo released the following statement on death of Chavez on Tuesday. "President Hugo Chávez of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela leaves behind a legacy of support for the underprivileged and promotion of social justice that transcends geographical boundaries. We at Citgo Petroleum Corporation are deeply saddened by the news of his passing. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and the people of Venezuela in this time of grief."

Phuck 'em. Seriously.

Guest CigarGuy

They were one of my early boycott YEARS ago.  Noticed in the last couple years that a lot of the local

7-11's changed signs from Citgo to "Gas".  Always wondered if they no longer used Citgo or just

removed the sign.

A private company can pretty much do anything they want to with the flag in front of their building.

A private company can pretty much do anything they want to with the flag in front of their building.

True.  And until we have a law called Obamagas that makes us buy their junk or pay a penalty, we can drive right by their stations, too.