TSA allows knives on planes... what to buy?

In April, the law prohibiting knives on airplanes will be relaxed.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/slideshow/2013/03/05/changes-to-tsa-prohibited-items-list/#slide=1

Basically, the knife must be a folder with a non-locking blade that is no more than 1/2 inch wide and 2.36 inches long. It cannot have a molded grip.

Any suggestions for a good decent knife that fits this criteria?  I'm guessing a compact multi-tool would fall under the molded grip restriction, but it's not clear since the pictures don't show a multitool. I don't want a swiss army knife. They're too big and bulky. I just want a keychain knife.

• Admin Team

I'd suggest one that you don't mind having confiscated...

Noted in the text regarding the "relaxation" of the rules is that it's up to individual TSA "agents" and they still have full power to confiscate anything they think is scary.

Only things I have that would qualify are a Vic Alox Classic and a Leatherman Micra, but seeing as how these dirtbags don't bother to follow the rules already in place, I have no faith that they'll follow the new knife rules.

I'll keep checking mine with my luggage.

I'd suggest one that you don't mind having confiscated...

Noted in the text regarding the "relaxation" of the rules is that it's up to individual TSA "agents" and they still have full power to confiscate anything they think is scary.

Just saw that first hand, I am in the Dallas Fort Worth airport awaiting my flight home and this lady going through security had a very strange looking knife that met the required size as the new regulation but they took it from her. I asked the TSA agent about it and she said once it has been cleared with her bosses the knife will be mailed to the owner at the owners expense

My question is why would you even want a knife that small on an airplane anyways. Doesn't sound like it would serve any good defensive purpose (had a case toothpick close on my finger one time) and I don't think they let you whittle. I mean I don't have a problem with it by any means and don't want to sound like a liberal by saying "why do you need this,that,etc".

As others have said though I wouldn't go spend any money on it. But if I were I'd get on ebay and get a cheap one.

Edited by maroonandwhite
  • Like 1
Guest MilitiaMan

I just don't fly. Ever. I travel from TN to NY quite often and drive ever time. Hate planes, hate TSA. hate crowded confined spaces, hate long lines, hate long waits and so on.

I keep a little SOG Fusion Micron on my key chain, handy little blade, sharpens up very sharp, edge retention is very good, the "handle" is just as small as the blade but I can get a decent enough grip on it with two-fingers & thumb for most tasks, the black finish has worn considerably in the 4 or so years it has been on there but it shows no signs of any rust.

The blade is still just as wiggle free in the handle as when I first received it, which I was positive wouldn't be the case 4 years of use later, but I am pleased because it is such a handy little tool, I am not sure what these cost, I got mine for free from SOG but if I ever lost or needed to replace mine for some reason I wouldn't hesitate to shell out 20-25 bucks for another one.

Just remember, lock blades and no fixed blade knives.  This is supposedly so SAKs can be carried on the plane.  Or at least a small SAK with the pen knife blade and scissors model.  As far as I know a SAK larger than that has a blade that is too long to qualify.

Just saw that first hand, I am in the Dallas Fort Worth airport awaiting my flight home and this lady going through security had a very strange looking knife that met the required size as the new regulation but they took it from her. I asked the TSA agent about it and she said once it has been cleared with her bosses the knife will be mailed to the owner at the owners expense

Doesn't kick in till April 25

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/62146-knives-on-planes/

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest 270win

I carry a Leatherman CS Style everywhere i go on my keychain.  It seems to meet the requirements along with a small swiss army knife.  My little Leatherman is the only knife that I carry.

A little Case or Schrade pen knife would seem to meet the requirements too.

From what I understand, this knife rule was made up to be in compliance with EU airport security rules.  That is why you see the wierd 6 cm length.

Emerson is making one called a Hummingbird looks really nice 

TEKNA used to make a small one to keep on a key chain but havent seen one for a few years wife has mine...

Yeah probably a small swiss army that is relatively easy to replace if "Hands Of Blue,Two By Two" get exhuberant

John

I really wish people would stop with the whole self defense thing.  Why is that everything we carry has to be solely about self defense?  Is there anything you carry on a daily basis that is actually a tool?  Small keychain knives can come in handy for lots of daily tasks.  And as they are put on your keychain, its easy to forget them.  Thats why so many are confiscated now.  The rest of the world already allows these knives through so TSA is just trying to match the rest of the world and relieve a little of the burden in dealing with so many.  

Me, I wouldn't carry it on a plane for self defense, there are plenty of other things on a plane I would rather use.  My fists, my laptop, my backpack, etc.  But I would like to know that if I forget it on my keychain, I'm not gonna be harassed by the TSA.  

Guest ASmartOne

I actually just put a small Wenger on my keychain.  I realized that the full size, two blade + can opener/screwdrivers was too large.  I just need something to cut tape on boxes and the Wenger was perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

I won't be carrying a knife.  Certainly not my good knife, I don't want to run the risk of it getting confiscated.

I don't have a "good knife" that doesn't lock, doesn't have a molded handle, isn't a fixed blade, and has a blade that's not over 2.36" in length and/or more than 1/2" wide.

- OS

I don't have a "good knife" that doesn't lock, doesn't have a molded handle, isn't a fixed blade, and has a blade that's not over 2.36" in length and/or more than 1/2" wide.

- OS

How have you manage to reach your advanced age without owning a SAK? :rofl:

How have you manage to reach your advanced age without owning a SAK? :rofl:

I have several knock offs and two real ones. But all have 2.5 to 2.75" blades, whippersnapper. ;)

'Bout only thing I've got under the limit are a few small neckers, but they're not folders, so wouldn't pass either. Probably have a cheopo in a junk drawer somewhere that might pass, but as I said, have no "good" knives that would.

- OS

I just don't fly. Ever. I travel from TN to NY quite often and drive ever time. Hate planes, hate TSA. hate crowded confined spaces, hate long lines, hate long waits and so on.

I'm with ya on that!  I don't care if they gave tickets away, I wouldn't fly and put up with the crap in today's airports.

Guest 270win

You can pick up a keychain swiss army knife at Wal Mart for ten to fifteen bucks.  The keychain leatherman that i have runs about twenty.  Neither have locking blades.  The cheap chinese made schrade pen knives would be good too, but lack the tools that swiss army and leathermans have.  I wouldn't carry my case pen knife on the plane because it is more expensive to replace.

I don't carry knives as weapons because they are, in my opinion, poor weapons.  Pepper spray is a better defense tool than a knife because it gives you distance.  I do have a bigger locking blade Kershaw knife i keep in my car but even that is kept there to cut a seat belt if I need to.

Edited by 270win

I carry a Leatherman CS Style everywhere i go on my keychain. It seems to meet the requirements along with a small swiss army knife. My little Leatherman is the only knife that I carry.

A little Case or Schrade pen knife would seem to meet the requirements too.

From what I understand, this knife rule was made up to be in compliance with EU airport security rules. That is why you see the wierd 6 cm length.

I currently carry a Style PS (pliers & scissors) on the airlines, and bought a Squirt P4 to be ready to roll at the end of April.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD