When Did TN Lose Long Gun Carry And Why?

Guest 270win

I from Arizona where you can carry around whatever the hell you want. I never went hiking alone in the high country without a rifle. I didn't know about this until now. So as I understand it I can only openly carry a long gun with my hunting license in hand during hunting season? But I can carry a long gun in the vehicle as long as a round is not chambered?

You are legal to carry a long gun with ammunition in the magazine inside your vehicle ONLY if you have obtained your Handgun Carry Permit, otherwise you must have no ammunition in the magazine, thought in the recent past a public chapter was introduced that did not any longer require weapon and ammunition to be separated by compartment.

I from Arizona where you can carry around whatever the hell you want. I never went hiking alone in the high country without a rifle. I didn't know about this until now. So as I understand it I can only openly carry a long gun with my hunting license in hand during hunting season? But I can carry a long gun in the vehicle as long as a round is not chambered?

Well it is always Ground Hog season in TN.  Last I checked, you could use center-fire on them as well.

Guest 270win

TN has pretty strict gun laws for a southern state.  Most of the surrounding states you can have a firearm in your car without any sort of permit or in places like Kentucky and North Carolina you can openly carry without a permit.  With a permit, you can carry in schools in Alabama and Mississippi.

TN has pretty strict gun laws for a southern state.  Most of the surrounding states you can have a firearm in your car without any sort of permit or in places like Kentucky and North Carolina you can openly carry without a permit.  With a permit, you can carry in schools in Alabama and Mississippi.

Yep, we're not quite the "Patron State of Shootin' Stuff" that others often believe.

- OS

• Like 1

Yep, we're not quite the "Patron State of Shootin' Stuff" that others often believe.

- OS

Yea I had always heard that TN was very firearm friendly, so I was a little disappointed after moving here & researching all of the various statutes, & found them to be much more restrictive than Indiana on quite a few things.

Like signs, those don't carry penalty in Indiana, knives, clubs, etc no restriction w/regards to "going armed" or blade length, long guns no permit required for carry/vehicle, can be loaded, no lifetime carry permits in TN, etc.

TN is still a great place to live, but some of the laws down here are going to take some getting used too.

If everybody wants to play "Red Dawn" I have a safer way to get your jollies. Join the U.S. Military and get your young rears over to Afghanistan and be real soldiers.Visions of  groups of good old boys wandering around with loaded AR15s /AK47s in their hands is all the antis need to get rid of all of the guns. I'm a gun person and the thought of armed mobs of confused  citizens gives me the willies! Hunting season is something entirely different. I remember growing up in Ohio and  carrying my shotgun in the Pickup truck all day, including at school.  I can live with the Tennessee law as it is now. I would carry a shotgun in "Cruiser Mode" anyways.

Isn't that just quaint.  this reminds me of a quote made by Herr Himmler.  If you want to carry weapons of war, join the SS or the SA!"

The thought of armed mobs also bothers me, but I can assure you, if I'm carrying a long gun or a one hand gun, I am anything but confused.  If it bothers you that we, here in Tn. value both our freedoms and our God given rights to carry such items (I've yet to see a mob carrying these arms 'running around' and causing mayhem as you suggest) then perhaps you should forget what you remembered when growing up in Ohio. A state that is so far removed from the color of the constitution as to be unloved by many of us here.

In other words,  we don't give a dang how they do it up north mister. (plain redneck english for those of you who don't cotton to the more polite and polished forms of speech).