Derringers, who ownes them and who carries them?

Mykltn

Bryan:__________

RE:

....Well, that and they recoil like crazy in anything over .22.  They make airweight revolvers seem positively pleasant to shoot. ...

Forgot this one.  Mine has got the large grips on it (...the ones that reach below the heel of the grip...).  That calms them down; but then the grip is pretty big.

leroy

That's the problem with them. Well, that and they recoil like crazy in anything over .22.  They make airweight revolvers seem positively pleasant to shoot.  I'm sure they served a purpose at one point, but J frame revolvers, subcompact autos like the Kahrs, Ruger LCP/LC9 & their brethren have taken over that niche.

That's not to say that there's anything wrong with wanting one just because you like them and think they're cool.

I love my NAA in .22WMR.  For me, if I carry a BUG then it is something I will carry on my weak side.  For that reason, I want something I can control when firing weak hand only, possibly from an awkward position.  That and the fact that it holds five rounds in a smaller package than many two-shot WMR Derringer-types make it a great BUG, to my mind.  I don't often carry it as a primary but since Speer started making Gold Dot SD ammo in WMR, I keep it loaded with that and certainly do not feel unarmed on the occasions when the NAA is all I have.

Beyond that, yeah, it is hard for me to justify to myself buying a two-shooter that either has the drawbacks that OhShoot mentioned about his Cobra or, as with the Bond arms guns, is a high quality piece that is bigger and weighs more than my J-Frame or my P3AT.  Not to mention the Bonds tend to cost more than a J-frame or a P3AT, too.  Thing is, though, I keep trying to justify it to myself because, dangit, I just plain want one!

That's the problem with them. Well, that and they recoil like crazy in anything over .22. They make airweight revolvers seem positively pleasant to shoot. I'm sure they served a purpose at one point, but J frame revolvers, subcompact autos like the Kahrs, Ruger LCP/LC9 & their brethren have taken over that niche.

That's not to say that there's anything wrong with wanting one just because you like them and think they're cool.

I would argue they still serve a purpose. If they didn't there wouldn't be so many companies making them. And I am not familiar with any airwieght or subcompact auto that can deliver 410 000buck in a more concealable package than the Bond Arms and American Derringers. I can conceal my NAA or my American Derringer in the watch pocket of a pair of jeans. My two primary carry weapons are a colt new agent .45 or my kimber solo 9mm. If I need something smaller I have a Micro desert eagle .380. But I still carry a back up and the NAA's and quality made derringers fit that nitch perfectly.
I can carry the 1911 iwb, Bond Arms loaded with 410 iwb on my weak side, NAA .22mag in the watch pocket, another NAA .22lr in a belt buckle, and the DA38 in a wallet holster and conceal it all with an untucked T-shirt. And that's the purpose they serve. They make it so you can carry a gun no matter what your form of dress may be. And the gun you can carry anywhere beats the gun sitting in your safe. Edited by Mykltn
  • Like 1
A 32 derringer was what I carried before hcc was legal. Had to travel mostly at night and when I got tired I would find an exit and park on the side of the road, like the truckers do, to cat nap,lay the seat back and put my derringer in my hand on my chest and sleep.Travelled into Ill, KY,Tn,Ga,Ala. never had a problem. Always said the first thing someone would see would be the whites of my eyes opening and the second thing would be the flash of that 32. Would fit in my pants pocket very well. Have two of them with consective serial numbers. Almost forgot about the 22 derringer we made for assistant superintendent at the Vocational School in McKenzie in 1965.Drafting class drew a set of prints and we made it in the machine shop.Different time different world. Edited by owejia

A 32 derringer was what I carried before hcc was legal. Had to travel mostly at night and when I got tired I would find an exit and park on the side of the road, like the truckers do, to cat nap,lay the seat back and put my derringer in my hand on my chest and sleep.Travelled into Ill,Tn,Ala. never had a problem. Always said the first thing someone would see would be the whites of my eyes and the second thing would be the flash of that 32. Would fit in my pants pocket very well. Have two of them with consective serial numbers.

I had the Davis .32 when I was a pizza delivery driver in Florida back in the late 80's. It was the perfect size to fit in the carry sleeve of the pizza bags. We had several drivers robbed at gunpoint and one was beaten pretty bad. So even though carrying was not condoned by the owner, he did little to discourage it.
I have read OhShoot's derringer experience before. I guess I got lucky, mine has always fired, top barrel hits POA, bottom a little low ~6" at 25ft. I can shoot 32h&r mag, long, short, and even 32acp. I have come really close to getting rid of it but I have had such good luck with it I don't know if I could ever get lucky and find another good one. I don't know which is better to have, 5 shots of 22mag or 2 shots of 32mag. Edited by Patton

Cobra in .38 Special.

An absolute hoot to shoot, but I don't carry it.  The recoil is nothing compared to the act of God it takes to pull the trigger.

Shot from seven yards by aiming at the crotch area of the target:

">2usbeac.jpg

Edited by Ruprect

I have read OhShoot's derringer experience before. I guess I got lucky, mine has always fired, top barrel hits POA, bottom a little low ~6" at 25ft. I can shoot 32h&r mag, long, short, and even 32acp. I have come really close to getting rid of it but I have had such good luck with it I don't know if I could ever get lucky and find another good one. I don't know which is better to have, 5 shots of 22mag or 2 shots of 32mag.

I must have been lucky also. My Bond Arms and American Derringer both shoot POA on the bottom barrel and a bit low on the top. As far as choosing between five shots of 22 or two rounds of 32, why trouble yourself? They are small enough you can carry both. Lol

Cobra in .38 Special.

An absolute hoot to shoot, but I don't carry it.  The recoil is nothing compared to the act of God it takes to pull the trigger.

Shot from seven yards by aiming at the crotch area of the target:
">2usbeac.jpg

I remember my Davis having a trigger like a mule. The Bond Arms has to be rolled in a down and back motion. I use snap caps to practice with it. The American Derringer trigger is straight back and since its double action only, there's no hammer to fumble with.