A 1925 Mosin 91/30?

Guest D.B. Cooper

Guest D.B. Cooper

I was examining my recent crate purchase and I came across a Tula Hex Receiver dated 1925.  I hadn't seen one dated before 1930 before, so I googled this thing and came across this..

Dragoon Rifle (Russianдрагунская): Intended for use by Dragoons (mounted infantry). 64 mm (2.5 in) shorter and 0.4 kg (0.9 lb) lighter than the M1891. The Dragoon rifle's dimensions are identical to the later M1891/30 rifle, and most Dragoon rifles were eventually reworked into M1891/30s. Most such rifles, known to collectors as "ex-Dragoons", can be identified by their pre-1930 date stampings, but small numbers of Dragoon rifles were produced from 1930 to 1932 and after reworking became impossible to distinguish from purpose-built M1891/30s.

Do you think this is what I have?  I know, a post is no good without pics...  Anyone know the value of something like this?  I found a 1928 on Armslist for $300, is that close, or is that "panic pricing"?

1925hextula.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably do. I may be mistaken, but the last mark on the barrel [ / ] is indicative of an arsenal rebuild.

It is not unrealistic to believe the barrel and potentially the receiver are from a reworked dragoon.

I have a 1929 hex 91/30 that I got last summer. I was able to make out that the mag floorplate and bolt had been "force matched" during a rebuild. That said, it'll be one I keep, unless I can come into a very early contract mosin for a song.

Edit. 300 sounds wayyy panicky. Maybe mosins will dry up eventually, but they still only have about 100-150$ value, depending on condition and cosmoline. Edited by cj0e

I have a 1929 hex 91/30 that I got last summer. I was able to make out that the mag floorplate and bolt had been "force matched" during a rebuild. That said, it'll be one I keep, unless I can come into a very early contract mosin for a song.

Sorry to butt in with a different question on the thread, but I see people talking about these older guns sometimes being force matched. 

What does that mean? How would I know a gun has been?

On a typical mosin there is a serial number on the barrel shank, bolt, bottom of magazine and buttplate.  When "force matched" one of these numbers, often on the magazine, does not originally match the rifle so is is struck through and a matching number applied.

Edited by Garufa
Guest D.B. Cooper

Thanks for the info!  This one's a beauty... All numbers matching and beautiful stock (for a Mosin)!  I'll post pictures when I get her all cleaned up.  

Guest RedLights&Sirens
Thanks for posting this D.B, mine is a 1926. Also thanks for your response to Spank Garufa, I just got mine and havnt cleaned it up yet. All of my SNs match including the bayonette but Im not sure on the magazine. Guess Ill check that when I get home.

OP - dragoon rifles were the "original" 91/30's, produced from ca 1894 up to @1932.  They were the same length as 91/30's and were the first Mosins to include the sling slots cut into the stock and fore end.  Stocks were virtually identical to the pre-war types used on 91/30's, with slight differences in the handguards, Dragoons used the original M91 sight system w/ the open front site and the Karnolov type rear sights (at least in 1925).  Most of these were subsequently upgraded to 91/30 specifications as part of routine pre-war arsenal reworks and refurbs.  A few escaped unscathed by the updating process, these are relatively rare and are prized by collectors if in original configuration, most sell for much more than standard 91/30's.  The upgrade to the 91/30 specifications was a gradual process begun @1928 and not completed until 1936 or so.  For a brief period, 91/30's and original dragoons were produced simultaneously.  There are known  examples of rifles which show "mixed" 91/30 and dragoon parts, most of these were probably wartime repairs to dragoons which had never been upgraded.  Without pics of all the components of your rifle, it is impossible to tell exactly what you have,, most likely (as others have posted) it's an "ex-dragoon", not in the 91/30 configuration.

"Force matched" may include strikeouts, lineouts, "re-numbering" of parts on which the original serial numbers have been ground off, or serials which were applied to replacement parts that had never had a number applied.  The re-numbering process includes examples which are stamped or electropenciled.  Interestingly, the vast majority or Mosins advertised as "numbers matching" are actually the latter, as either they are EPed (never used in the original manufacturing process) or stamped with slight variations from the font applied to the receiver, which is the "correct" font for the original stampings.

See: http://www.7.62x54r.net and http://www.mosinnagant.net for much more info.