Looking for another 1911 and advice

jphillips63

Ok I have three Kimbers already and wanted to purchase the CDP pro but I'm having second thoughts on another kimber purchase.
What would you guys buy that's in the same class or better than the kimber at a 1500-1700 price range?

I honestly don't know the quality of the other handguns out there so thought I'd start here and do some research. Ed brown Wilson and the likes is not me I just can't see that kind of money invested in one of there handguns. I might be missin something I don't know but 3000+ for a handgun in my opinion just isn't a good investment ( am I wrong) ?

Prefer something in a 4" model

In the last year I have picked up a couple of Dan Wesson 1911's. I think they are a great value for what you get. My V-Bob is way better than the CDP I sold. I got a Guardian shortly after since I liked it so well. They are hard to find at the moment since they had a fire at the plant last year, but well worth the money.

I was torn between the Brown and the V-Bob, but have not regretted the decision to go with the V-Bob.

Ok I have three Kimbers already and wanted to purchase the CDP pro but I'm having second thoughts on another kimber purchase.
What would you guys buy that's in the same class or better than the kimber at a 1500-1700 price range?

I honestly don't know the quality of the other handguns out there so thought I'd start here and do some research. Ed brown Wilson and the likes is not me I just can't see that kind of money invested in one of there handguns. I might be missin something I don't know but 3000+ for a handgun in my opinion just isn't a good investment ( am I wrong) ?

Prefer something in a 4" model

I saw the pics of your Kimbers in another thread, very nice guns. I have a RIA 1911 Match and a Ruger SR1911 both shoot better then I do. But my most prized is a old Ithica 1911A1 WWII vintage. There is just something about a old G.I  1911 thats hard to explain, it's like you can feel the history in it. Then again it's as close as I could get to the one I carried in Vietnam 1967 .

IMG_4838.jpg

Edited by crossfire
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I found a black V Bob online for sale it's used and shows a bit of wear in several places. Of all places to find it Wilson Combat has it for sale go figure, now what is a used one of these worth in reality? New retail is less than 2100.00 so I don't know if I can base anything off retail in today's market and I'm not sure if DW is up and running production since there fire so I'm sure that plays in on value as well. I'm gonna head over to outpost tomorrow and see if they have one in stock so I can get a feel of it.
For that price range I'd recommend a Dan Wesson as well. I've owned pretty much every brand of high end 1911 at some point or another and I found the DW to be one of the best values in that price range. The trigger is awesome from the factory and the fit & finish is excellent, especially for a production gun. If you don't mind the matte stainless, it's usually $300 less than the black ceramic duty coat. Another thing I really liked were the Heinie straight eight night sights. It's just a clean, simple and classy looking gun. Oh yea, dead on accurate too.

The light frame Springfields are great. I've had a stainless Springfield loaded on my list for a long time. May not ever get to it. I'm mostly a rifle guy, and don't get around to shooting the pistols I already own. I like 1911's, but also don't see myself dropping 3-5 grand on one.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1
Guest LRJETCAP

Just purchased a Kimber Ultra Carry+ with the 3" barrel as my CC.  Beautiful gun, and the longer grip is helpful to contain the recoil. 

There are some good suggestions here. I do like the Dan Wessons, but I love Les Bear. Try and look at some high end used ones. Les, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat are all great. I even picked up a Les Baer from 92 on gun broker and it runs like a dream. Also I think 3000 is on the high end of new models. You should even be able to pick up a new lower end Les or Brown for low 2000's. Don't be thinking there lower models are not freaking awsome too.

You should give John a call at cj1911heaven.com. He is the largest Les Baer internet dealer in the country and could probably put you in one pretty close to your price range.

Short of that I'd recommend the Dan Wesson as many others have. I've got a 2009 CBOB and CCO as well as a 2012 Pointman 9 and they are all top notch.

Guest Bassman17SC

Another vote for one of those fine Dan Wesson V-bobs, if you are looking for a commander sized 1911 (at your particular price point).

But to answer your question in regards to Ed Browns...yes, they are worth it.  I own two: a Special Forces (govt model) and a Kobra Carry (commander model).  My SF is the softest shooting 1911 I've ever held.

Call Crazy John at 1911 Heaven,you can get a Les Baer new for around $1700 + shp.hand.I just ordered a Thunder Ranch Special with some custom features and spent only $1965 shipped to my dealer. 208-772-2339 give him a call and see what he has in stock sometimes he runs some specials,but you have to call his web site is well......

I looked at a ed brown today and it really grabbed my attention with build and how it felt holding it. I can't even believe I was considering a 2600.00 handgun but that's probably what I'll look for unless I do find a good deal on a v Bob before then.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

The light frame Springfields are great. I've had a stainless Springfield loaded on my list for a long time. May not ever get to it. I'm mostly a rifle guy, and don't get around to shooting the pistols I already own. I like 1911's, but also don't see myself dropping 3-5 grand on one.

Yeah, you can get some great fighting rifles for that price, not to mention most shooters aren't good enough to see the accuracy difference in a top of the line 1911. If you need a $3K 1911, you'll probably know it.