Got me a new grinder

Guest Bowdenknxvll

Guest Bowdenknxvll

I recently picked a Wilmont Tag and wanted to review it for the guys looking for a new grinder.  To start off, the purchasing experience was great.  Chris is a great guy and answered every question that I had, which were many. You can tell this guy is a knifemaker as he is passionate about his product and the art. 
Shipping
Shipping was fast!  I received the grinder two days after it had been shipped. Mine came in five boxes, all were easy to carry and navigate into the shop.  The neat thing about them is that the boxes are separated into installation steps so you can follow along with the installation instructions as you go.  No need to look around for bolts, screws, etc, they are right there with the parts you are working on.  The instruction manual is well put together and reads easily.  It is also separated and put in the box for the part you are working on. Everything is either wrapped in foam or boxed and the floor and walls of the boxes are wrapped in foam insulation.  I had no issues with damage.
Installation
I opened all the boxes and set them in order of setup.  As mentioned earlier, you just follow along with the manual and pics.  It took me about 2 hours but I was going slow.  I like putting things together so I thought about the design and the intent of all the parts as I went.  When complete, I fired it up and everything worked! I loaded a belt on and had a slight side to side wobble.  I rechecked everything and couldn't figure it out.  I thought it was the belt tension initially.  I looked at some pics on Wilmonts site and noticed the tension arm on mine was was not parallel like the one in the pic.  I emailed Chris and he suggested it was the tension.  I pulled the arm out more and fired it up.  Smooth tracking now!  I hammered some steel in it and it didn't slow down a bit.
Operation
After making a few knives with it I couldn't be more happy.  I know tools don't make the craftsman but they sure do help.  My flat grinds instantly improved.  Being able to slow down the speed and the true tracking allowed me to be much more consistent.  I was also able to grind in about half the time.
Pics

Left and Right side. It really is a good looking machine.  All the metal is black and the wheels are anodized Red.  One of the platen wheels are rubber so you can use it for choils and such.
DSC_0330_zps77692bd1.jpg
DSC_0339_zpsfdd021ad.jpg
DSC_0344_zpsca1c119b.jpg
Wheels and Platen.  The wheels are absolute quality. The platen is 7" long and is made from thick stock. I have glass coming for it.
DSC_0338_zps882b91ae.jpg
DSC_0340_zpsf9cd523c.jpg
The platen is adjustable so you can move to fit your grinding style. The lever is easily turned and holds great. 
DSC_0341_zps3e6d6aad.jpg
Tracking assembly
The tracking is great.  Slight adjustments are available with the turn of the star.  Contact is solid between the screw and adjustment plate.  The star is just plain cool!
DSC_0336_zps76454594.jpg
DSC_0345_zps0589e0e7.jpg
One of the neat things about this machine are the tooling arm slots.  It allows versatility in horizontal and vertical work. All arms are locked down with beefy angled levers
DSC_0337_zpsfe3288a2.jpg
DSC_0334_zps0e5fd605.jpg
IMO the star of this grinder is the toolrest.  It is so versatile and solid as a rock.  I was initially a little skeptical with the round bar used but it is not an issue.  The rods fit real tight and are locked in by a bolt that closes a relief cutout on the tooling arm.  There are also levers to help with fast adjustment. This thing is awesome.
DSC_0347_zpsd2e060d3.jpg
DSC_0346_zps2ecc67f8.jpg
DSC_0349_zps7e4668fc.jpg
DSC_0350_zps6b39d599.jpg
Horizontal
I was excited to try out the horizontal grinder.  Ive never used one before and it was one of the reasons I chose this machine.  It comes with a flipping base plate system with a cool motor mount that allows air flow.  Its not hard to flip but it is heavy.  A handle would make things easier. Wow, I should have gotten one of these along time ago.  So much versatility and options.  I don't have my small wheel attachment yet but will be getting it soon. I will review that when it comes as it is a neat system.  The toolrest really shines in this position.  I will eventually order a second toolrest so I can use different sized wheels and two toolrests at once.  The arm slots will allow that.
Little man wanted in the shot!
DSC_0358_zpsa9ddc508.jpg
DSC_0342_zpsfeaba229.jpg
DSC_0355_zps588feffb.jpg
DSC_0353_zps50606109.jpg
DSC_0352_zpsbc0ae959.jpg
All in all this is a great machine.  I can't imagine anything more versatile.  It will allow me to be much more efficient which is huge being a part time maker.  The only thing I would like to see is a handle of some sort for flipping.  Again, its not hard but would be easier with a handle. Anyone looking for a grinder should give the Tag a serious look.  Great machine, fast shipping, and a seller that truly cares about his product and customers.  A+ in my book!

Guest Bowdenknxvll

Very nice! I hope to get one like that soon. What were you using before? I was looking into the Bader 3 but this might take the cake!

I was using a Grizzly before.  I would seriously look into one before buying a Bader.  They are great machines but this one is a lot more versatile.  I did a lot of research before purchasing.  If you don't want or need the horizontal option I would look into a KMG or the grinder Brett Mathews is putting out.  They are both Bader copies with improvements and can use all Bader attachements for much less money.

Guest Bowdenknxvll

Goodness Chris that is awesome! I am looking forward to seeing what you can do with that !

Thanks man!  I am swamped with orders so I will post up some of the cool ones! 

I was using a Grizzly before.  I would seriously look into one before buying a Bader.  They are great machines but this one is a lot more versatile.  I did a lot of research before purchasing.  If you don't want or need the horizontal option I would look into a KMG or the grinder Brett Mathews is putting out.  They are both Bader copies with improvements and can use all Bader attachements for much less money.

Ill have to look into those. I had only used the Bader before. Ill check into the other options when I have a little more money, I'm just dreaming for now! Lol

That is a beautiful machine! I especially love the red! Congrats!