More pics - Not sure if you would call it a "coach gun", but it makes me giggle...

Guest Nunya

Guest Nunya

Unfired, but hopefully not for long.

12 gauge double-barreled Zhengzhou imported by Century.  20" barrels.

DSC_0026_zps9653e0bd.jpg

66f95fa2-382a-40a1-819b-ced98c53db75_zps

DSC_0017-1_zps6841fb01.jpg

DSC_0018-1_zps1cd7727a.jpg

DSC_0019-1_zps91e66db0.jpg

Edited by bentonbjones
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bentonbjones, that is a nice looking shotgun.  Looks like a coach gun, to me.  Either way, I'd be happy to own it.

looks like a coach gun to me?   Mine is very similar, and I love it.   Hammers are awesome on a double, the hammerless just look confused to me, a random mix of antique and modern. 

I like the exposed hammer doubles, myself, although currently my only double (inherited from my grandfather) is an internal hammer (aka: "hammerless") type.  Just in the interests of curiosity, though, I checked the 'Net and if what I have found is correct, the first 'hammerless' doubles that didn't require an external cocking lever - meaning they pretty much looked like those made, today - were made in the 1870s so still not really all that 'modern' a concept.

That said, when that internal hammer model first came to me, I had trouble with parts of the internal cocking mechanism having become a little 'loose' and not cocking the hammer for the right side barrel.  I have jury-rigged a fix that I hope will hold, especially since I probably won't shoot it all that much, but such potential problems are one reason I'd like to also have an external hammer model.

Edited by JAB

cool, did not know the hammerless was dated so far back!  

The only hammerless I have held kept setting the safety when it was opened, which annoyed me to no end and gave me a strong bias toward my hammers.  I do not know if that is typical, though.

Here is a link to what I think is the gun:

http://www.championfirearms.com/Century-Arms-12-Gauge-Coach-Gun-p/centsg1090n.htm

We shoot hammered coach guns all the time in SASS.  It's just a short barrel double barrel shotgun with or without hammers.  Ours is Hartford Arms 12 gauge with hammers and a barrel just a shade over 18".  One grandson and my 13 year old granddaughter shoot it.  Granddaughter started out on a 410 hammerless double and changed over to the 12 gauge hammergun this year to be able to shoot in the Young Gun category.  The rest of us shoot the 1897 pump guns. There is constant argument between the double barrel shooters and the pump gun shooters as to who shoots faster or has an advantage.  The coach gun certainly has style points and would get immediate attention from an intruder.

Cherokee Slim

Edited by Cherokee Slim

cool, did not know the hammerless was dated so far back!  

The only hammerless I have held kept setting the safety when it was opened, which annoyed me to no end and gave me a strong bias toward my hammers.  I do not know if that is typical, though.

Well, I can't say for sure what is 'typical' but of the three side by side doubles that I have fired, all three of them automatically engage the safety when the breech is opened/closed.  I think that is to replace the more or less inherent safety in having external hammers that can remain 'uncocked' until needed.  I can't remember for sure if the over/under 10 gauge my BIL has automatically engages the safety or not (maybe touching off a couple of shots from that thing causes short term memory loss) but I am thinking that it does.

The auto-engaging safety can cause me to say, "Doh!" when I forget to disengage the safety before pulling a trigger but, given the nature of the beast, I am kind of glad it does that.

Edited by JAB
Guest Nunya

Most of the ones I've seen called coach guns were shorter than this, but I ran acrossI a deal on this one and got it before I really thought about it.

I do like the look of the exposed hammers, but for self defense, I would think the "hammerless" would be more practical.

Guest Nunya

The auto-engaging safety can cause me to say, "Doh!" when I forget to disengage the safety before pulling a trigger but, given the nature of the beast, I am kind of glad it does that.

Been there.  It's especially embarrassing when you're skeet shooting with your wife.

• 2 weeks later...