2nd day of HCP carry incidents (paranoia?)

Guest confidence

Guest confidence

Got my HCP in the mail yesterday and a couple of interesting things occured that were at least somewhat notable.

On the first day, I carried it with me to an outdoor animal park/zoo we visited. Now most places like this the lion will just lay there in the shadows and saw logs, in my experience. Well, this place had a lioness who was not a happy camper at all and was only behind 2 layers of plain old chain-link fence. The inner layer did have a chain-link celing, but the outer layer had no ceiling and was only about 10 foot high. The lioness started some pretty awesome roaring which I found amusing, though one of my children did not, lol. It just started pacing back and forth and looking at all the various little kids around and roaring over and over again. It wasn't quite as funny though when it lunged its head in the direction of a little boy (not mine), though. Made me think about the gorilla that escaped from the Dallas zoo and I felt for the first time in my life that if something tragic happened, I would have a pretty strong fighting chance at survival! I know it sounds paranoid, but I've done some reading and crazy things happen at zoos, lol!

So this morning, an interesting incident occurred as well. I was running a bit late to work. (Gotta start getting up earlier to mess with my holster/clothes and all that!) There was a black pickup in front of me and we were on a 2 lane road in the middle of nowhere. I admit, I was tailing him a bit because I was late. Not badly. Just a little close. And certainly not aggressively. Soon we came upon an intersection where the road we were on dead-ended into another road. By this time I had given up on tailing or passing him and had dropped back as most sane people would. About 150 foot from the stop sign he slows his truck down to an abnormal crawl and waves his arm out the window like he wanted me to pass him. Something didn't feel right. I think I would have thought nothing of it if he was a work truck or a grandpa in a 1969 coupe or something. But it didn't smell right. Also, it was a no-passing zone and I didn't want someone to turn onto the road we were on and hit me. It was also weird that he didn't pull over onto the grass if he needed to stop. He did get to the right of his lane, though at one point.

So I hung way back and just ignored him. I unzipped my coat, just in case but at no time was my firearm visible. He did this for about 15 seconds and when he saw that I wouldn't pass he continued on (sped back up) and arrived at the stop sign. At the stop sign, he angled his truck to the right like he was going to turn that direction and again waved his arm out the window like he wanted me to pass him (at a stop sign!!). By this time I was a little freaked and stayed *way* back, to the point of pretty much stopping completely though far behind him. He kept waving for about another 15 or 20 seconds and finally gave up and turned right. I was glad he turned right because I was going left. I turned left and checked my mirrors a lot, just in case, lol.

So was he just innocently wanting me to pass him just to be polite or was something not on the up and up and I just saved myself from a road rage ambush of some sort? I wonder if I would have taken the same defensive mindset before I became interested in self defense and acquired my HCP? Would I have just thought nothing of it and passed him?

Edited by confidence

It does to me sound like you are a little paranoid, which is normal for most new gun carriers. It does get better with time. I was the same way when I first started carrying. I think the guy was just letting you pass or he would have done more then just wave you on.

I dont know if its being paranoid or if is just being more aware of the things that are going on and you now think of what could happen. When I took my class the instructor gave us stories of how fast your everyday situation could easily turn into a gun fight so quick if you are not careful. Before carrying I would not think twice about stopping and filling up with gas somewhere. Now when I stop I catch myself looking around and being more cautious. I've been carrying for about 5 years now.   

I was tailing him a bit because I was late. Not badly. Just a little close. And certainly not aggressively

any tailgating is aggressive    By tailgating someone as you describe you may save twenty seconds total.   Now a real pro gets right up on their bumper and flashes the lights.  Heck if you are gonna tailgate then do it right.  when hee slowed down and waved you by you should have gone hammer down and gave him the finger as you went by.

Just my two cents....

;)

When I got my HCP four years ago, it had a sedative effect when I drive. I'm no Road Rage Nut, but a certain finger has said hi to a few idiot drivers over the years. Suddenly I was grinning at bad drivers as if I was Joel Osteen. A confrontation while armed was the last thing I wanted.

As far a being paranoid, that's my way of life with or without a HCP! LOL
  • Like 1

My experience with concealed carry is that the first week, I felt like I had a watermelon strapped to my hip and everyone could see it. Over time, that feeling goes away, but the other thing I've noticed is that carrying does make me less confrontational. Not that I was a hothead to begin with, but I'm aware that my approach to situations has changed. I'm not going to escalate things that don't matter, and things that do matter are handled with a lot of discretion.

Just my $.02

Guest Nunya

When I got my HCP four years ago, it had a sedative effect when I drive. 

I agree with this one.  I'm a lot less likely to call someone out (driving or not) when I'm armed.  Because I know if it escalates, the press will make me the bad guy.

The gun is definitely a last line of defense, worst case scenario.  

Your spidey sense will become more refined. You just have a bit of sensory overload after being bit by the radioactive HCP.

I am more aware than ever about my safety since getting my permit, not every situation is a danger but its good to have a plan for any that you think could happen. Edited by sL1k
Guest kcb37

I would agree with well pretty much everyone.

Tailgating or not depends on who you ask.  What one considers tailgating another does not.  Maybe you were a bit close at first.  Whatever.

That situation don't blame you at all, like said already it's only paranoia until your right.  Dosen't mean it's not being parnoid, but it's also being smart and aware of your surroundings.  A good thing.  Just don't let it consume you.

The lion same thing, don't blame you at all.  Just makes you think what if the kids are in the yard and a pit bull walks up the road and starts growling? 

Good to know you can do a little more now.

2 seconds behind a car is safe driving and gives time to react. That's what our drivers Ed teacher/coach says :). Some guys do wave you on and don't mind it at all. I know I would.

That's funny you write this. On my way this morning a car cut in front of another car. The cuttie must have gotten mad so he then cut in front of me to get to the guy that cut in front of him. When we came to a light he did the old pull up beside the guy yell at him or what ever. He then took the next right with no blinker. All I could think was "wow, you're a total jerk".

Yea, a little paranoid, but you seem in touch with it. That's cool. Edited by LowBb